Reload this Page >

What do you say when asked "Why do you want to leave your current job"

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-10-04, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

during an interview?

I just finished my first of two phone interviews I have today with prospective employers.

No matter what answer I've ever used, none of them sound like they're answers I'd want to hear if I was an employer looking for candidates.

If I could say the truth, I would tell them I want to leave because I'm disgusted by the leadership (both at the store and district level) with my company, and I no longer want to be part of it.

But instead, I find myself saying "I'm looking for better growth opportunities, as my present company does not have the ability to grow at a rate to place all of it's qualified candidates".

So what do you all say? My next interview isn't for 6.5 hours, so perhaps I'll use one of your suggestions.
Old 08-10-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that you give a pretty good answer. With me, I could say that my contract was almost up (which it was), and I was not sure if I would be extended or not (which I wasn't). Add to that the fact that I had no benefits, etc and it was a legit answer.

Would you be getting better money at the new company? A different type of position? Better benefits? More room for growth?

Perhaps if you give a better description of what you are doing and what the interview is for, as well as comparing the two companies (you don't have to be too detailed in your responses), some Otter might be able to help you out more.
Old 08-10-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: What do you say when asked "Why do you want to leave your current job"

Originally posted by Joem
during an interview?

But instead, I find myself saying "I'm looking for better growth opportunities, as my present company does not have the ability to grow at a rate to place all of it's qualified candidates".

LoL, I said that before and the interviewer was like "Well to be honest, there is not much room here to grow or to gain opportunities to move around" That caught me off gaurd.

You should never say something bad about the company that you work for no matter how terrible they are. I usually say something in the sense of "I feel I have done all I can at X company, I have untapped potential, I feel that I would be a greater asset to Y organization, I can utilize my skills more effectively and efficiently at Y organization."

Usually something of that sort but give a few examples also afterwards

I have been going through the same thing, my company is going through massive layoffs and I dont have the job security like I used to and I really think the longer I stay there, the longer my 4 years of Higher Education is going to waste since a monkey could do my job. I am suprised I get paid what I do, since I could have probably done the same position as soon as I came out of high school.
Old 08-10-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I've heard in business classes that it's a loaded question; They're trying to see what you'll say about your current company.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 08-10-04 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-10-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Indeed. Definitely say that the move is going to be an improvement for you and your life, as opposed to trying to get out of a negative situation with your current company.