Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

No wonder those Brits are so laid back...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-08-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...in_prozac_dc_4

LONDON (Reuters) - Traces of the anti-depressant Prozac have been found in Britain's drinking water supply, setting off alarm bells with environmentalists concerned about potentially toxic effects.

The Observer newspaper said Sunday that a report by the government's environment watchdog found Prozac was building up in river systems and groundwater used for drinking supplies.

The exact quantity of Prozac in the drinking water was unknown, but the Environment Agency's report concluded Prozac could be potentially toxic in the water table.

Experts say that Prozac finds its way into rivers and water systems from treated sewage water, and some believe the drugs could affect reproductive ability.

A spokesman for Britain's Drinking Water Inspectorate said Prozac was likely to be found in a considerably watered down form that was unlikely to pose a health risk.

"It is extremely unlikely that there is a risk, as such drugs are excreted in very low concentrations," the spokesman said. "Advanced treatment processes installed for pesticide removal are effective in removing drug residues."

But environmentalists called for an urgent investigation into the findings.

Norman Baker, environment spokesman for the Liberal Democrats, said it looked "like a case of hidden mass medication upon the unsuspecting public."

"It is alarming that there is no monitoring of levels of Prozac and other pharmacy residues in our drinking water," he told the Observer.

The Environment Agency has held a series of meetings with the pharmaceutical industry to discuss any repercussions for human health or the ecosystem, the Observer said.

Prescription of anti-depressants has surged in Britain. In the decade up to 2001, overall prescriptions of antidepressants rose from 9 million to 24 million a year, the paper said.
Old 08-08-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: No wonder those Brits are so laid back...

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Prescription of anti-depressants has surged in Britain. In the decade up to 2001, overall prescriptions of antidepressants rose from 9 million to 24 million a year, the paper said.
Damn...24 million. The UK has a population of approximately 60,270,708 (according to the CIA fact book), so 24 million is 39.8% of the population on anti-depressants.
Old 08-08-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
If only they dumped tooth brushes and tooth paste into the water.
Old 08-08-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

sounds like that stephen king short story. can't remember which book it was in.
Old 08-08-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Coincidentally, Brave New World aired tonight on Sci-Fi.
Old 08-08-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You would too if you conquered part of Atlantis.
Old 08-09-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
All they need to do is dump some flouride into the water and actually use their toothbrushes and toothpaste.

I hated having to take flouride as a kid at the DoD school's in Germany.
Old 08-09-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"When reached for comment, the minister of health couldn't muster the will to give a shit."
Old 08-09-04, 09:01 AM
Mod Emeritus

Lies, damned lies and statistics AKA Squeal, Piggy!

<small>
Originally posted by muggins
Damn...24 million. The UK has a population of approximately 60,270,708 (according to the CIA fact book), so 24 million is 39.8% of the population on anti-depressants.
</small>Or, methinks more likely, it could be 2 million people renewing their prescriptions on a monthly basis.

And for those that are bringing out the old stereotypes I am somewhat ashamed to report that:
  • There is currently a national shortage of dentists
  • Brits do eat rather too many sweet things [I blame Heinz who load their food with sugar ]
Of course we don't [yet] have that cultural thing of putting our teeth in braces to improve our looks but, then, my recollection is that some of the local folk in that well-known documentary Deliverance weren't so pretty themselves!
Old 08-09-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by B.A.
All they need to do is dump some flouride into the water and actually use their toothbrushes and toothpaste.

I hated having to take flouride as a kid at the DoD school's in Germany.
Off topic: When were you at a DoD school in Germany? I was there for 5th-7th grade, 1987-1989.
Old 08-09-04, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by B.A.
Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... Even ice cream. Children's ice cream.

You know when fluoridation first began? 1946. How does that coincide with a post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works!
Old 08-09-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by taa455
Off topic: When were you at a DoD school in Germany? I was there for 5th-7th grade, 1987-1989.
K-town Elementary: Spring of '86 (3rd school for me during 2nd grade) through Spring of '89 (5th grade). I also went to another school near K-town elementary during second grade for a about six weeks while we lived in temporary housing, but I can't remember it's name.
Old 08-09-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Will that stereotype *ever* die? Most British people under the age of 40 or so have perfectly fine teeth.