Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Verizon wireless users: please help select our cell phone

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 01-09-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're about to order new Verizon wireless service, so we've got to select a phone. Our discount from work allows us fairly decent prices on phones. Off the top of his head, the CSR mentioned the following low cost phones after rebate (tho other Verizon phones are also available):

LG vs4400 $40 (he recommended it highly)
Kyosera 414 $20
Samsung a310 $40
LG vx3100 free
Nokia 3589 free (he recommended)
LG vx200 free

We don't plan to use it for anything besides phone calls, i.e., no text messaging, no sending pictures, etc. I guess our priorities are reception, sound quality, battery life, possibly a good speaker phone (for car use).

Suggestions from users, please?

TIA.....
Old 01-09-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got a Samsung and I love it. My last one was a Kyocera and it sucked.
Old 01-09-04, 11:08 PM

The LG4400 is probably the best, plus easy to customize (free internet access and high speed dial-up) check out howardforums.com
Old 01-10-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with Verizon and have the LG Vx-4400.
I'm no where near a power user. I don't use my phone that often, but I'm more than happy with this phone.
Old 01-10-04, 09:35 AM

Well I work for Verizon currently---
Here are few things----
LG 4400-- Great phone! I use it myself. Very easy to use and it is extremely durable and reception is really good. The phone is also known to have the best battery life out of all the color screen ones out there.
Kyocera 414--- This phone will be discontinued shortly. Honestly, I am not a big fan of them... It is a color screen, but there was something that I did not like about it... The phone book is kinda small.
Samsung a310--- a nice phone, but not a color screen. Also... it is an older model than LG4400. I also find the setup of the phone not as easy. The ring tones are not so much original... Although there are a whole lot of people who love this phone.
LG 3100--- would not get that phone. It is digital only, thus only going to work in dark red area of the America's Choice network. It is a good phone but if you travel a lot, it may not be the best phone.
Nokia 3589--- Cool phone, a phone that FINALLY made it to the Verizon Market made by Nokia (for a while those phones were not satisfying the reception and dropped calls tests) It is not a bad choice, although I would say it is not as durable as the 4400
LG VX200-- a discontinued phone, unfortunately do not know much about it.
If I was to choose, I would go with 4400. It is a great price for that phone and has been a best celler. LGs are known for good quality and reception.
By the way, what are you looking for in a cell phone anywyas?
Old 01-10-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by NiceGal123
Well I work for Verizon currently---

If I was to choose, I would go with 4400. It is a great price for that phone and has been a best celler. LGs are known for good quality and reception.
By the way, what are you looking for in a cell phone anywyas?
As I mentioned in the OP, I want a good phone; not a camera, not text messaging, not IR or Bluetooth or games. Just a great phone that can pull in a signal and give good sound both ways.

I'm pretty sure we're gonna go with the Motorola v60S. The user reviews are AMAZING for the very features we want.

Probably gonna go with the Nokia 3589 as the second phone on the plan. It's going to my mother-in-law, and her priorities are size and COST(read: free)......
Old 01-11-04, 07:52 AM

Both of my parents had to have their v60's fixed MULTIPLE times.
There's a problem with the antenna that Verizon does know about. I have the LG 4400 and haven't had a problem yet.
Old 01-11-04, 11:08 AM

Try looking at www.howardforums.com for information on all cell phone carriers in the US and Canada.
Old 01-11-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dfriedland
Both of my parents had to have their v60's fixed MULTIPLE times.
There's a problem with the antenna that Verizon does know about. I have the LG 4400 and haven't had a problem yet.
Yeah, I saw that many user reviews referred to antenna problems on v60 units other than the S and P models. The reviews are also quick to point out that the S and P have a redesigned stubby antenna that works really well and alleviates the previous problems. Albeit, the S has only been available for about a month now; but it's exactly the same phone as the P only sans PTT, which has been available for many months now.

Granted there are also complaints that the P has a short battery life; seems that without the PTT, the S has a much better battery life.

MachSST: Thanks. I had already been to hofo, phonescoop, and wirelessadvisor; those user reviews are what sold me on the v60s........
Old 01-11-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting.

I will probably get a new phone this spring. I have an LG and it has been great (the one before they started their color models)

-pedagogue
Old 01-12-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

LG 4400 for $40?
can't go wrong there... it plays mp3s as well and you can use it like a boomerang (wireless dialup for your laptop)
Old 01-12-04, 03:27 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the A-310 and like it, but it doesn't do pictures, MP3's etc. It works great, and is pretty small which is a requirment for me.

But you might want to go with the LG 4400 since it's the same price and does more.
Old 01-12-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just when I think I've settled on the v60s, I find that that it has a problem with ringing (sometimes, it just doesn't ring).

I'm really torn between between the v60s and the 4400, which is compounded by VZW supposedly releasing new phones on 1/15 (for the better) and new rate plans on 2/2 (probably for the worse, as RUMOR is Nights will now begin at 10PM). And it also seems that many folks over at hofo consider the 3589 to be the best RF phone VZW offers; altho the v60s and 4400 are certainly right up there for RF.

I think I'm gonna sit back a week or two and see what other rumors come out about the new rate plans; I've gone this long without a cell phone already....

Last edited by Jobronie; 01-12-04 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 09:27 AM

does the 4400 have caller id on the outside screen?
Old 01-14-04, 12:14 PM
Cool New Member

dglaser6,
Yes it does have ID on the outside screen. You can also customize the backlight of that screen (I think it has 8 colors along with a "multi-mode" which flashes all of them when it rings) as well as the font/font size.

My wife and I just upgraded to the 4400 and it is a really great phone. I highly recommend it.
Old 01-14-04, 02:11 PM

Go with the LG VX 6000. Its a great phone, two of my friends have it, and they love it. It comes w/ a digital camera and everything, and right now, its only like $79.99 after mail in rebates.
Old 01-14-04, 03:23 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Jobronie
(probably for the worse, as RUMOR is Nights will now begin at 10PM).
That would be a very stupid move on their part given that sprint just started their nights begin at 7 instead of 9 campaign.
Old 04-08-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, Folks...

Same question as the OP!

I'm getting my first cell phone, finally, and looking for recommendations on Verizon phones. Has the market changed much since these recommendations in Jan/Feb?

I'm not interested in a camera, doubt I'll need a data plan.

Mostly just an outside-Caller-ID fliphone with good voice activation, 2 way speakers, and solid phonebook functions. None of the other features have really excited me so far.

I don't see the 4400 on the Verizon site, only higher-numbered models.
Old 04-08-05, 08:15 PM
Cool New Member

I have the LG VX4400 for over 2 years now. Battery life lasts 3-5 days if I don't talk to it and can last about 2-3 hours if straight talking. This assumes I'm in a full signal strength area.

Main reason why I chose this is because LG is one of the few companies that allow me to set a specific ringtone per person so I know who is calling just by listening to the music being played when ringing. Other phones only allow me to set ringtones per 1 of 4 groups of people.
Old 04-08-05, 11:57 PM

Okay, here's the top 3 phones for call reception quality. The 6000 doesn't have speakerphone though.

v710
v235 (almost or as good as the v710)
vx6100 (great but no analog)
vx6000

After having used many phones and requiring the best RF reception/sound quality, go with one of these phones. However, know that if you get the v710 the bluetooth does not work (only with bluetooth headsets. no computer sync, no car support). Really, take my advice on this. After using one of the above phones you'll think the nokias get crappy reception.
Old 04-21-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely go with an LG phone. I've had the LG camera phone for 2 years and love it. I have never had a problem with it. I get a new one in Sept. so I'm thinking of getting the "push to talk" capable LG 4700. But I don't know if Verizon's walkie-talkie feature is still sucky or not.
Old 04-21-05, 08:27 PM

I have the 414 and I love it.

I'm not one who uses the screen much.

The phone sounds fantastic. Great sound. It's loud enough to hear well in the car and people I call don't know it's a cell phone.
Old 04-24-05, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Razzak
Okay, here's the top 3 phones for call reception quality. The 6000 doesn't have speakerphone though.

v710
v235 (almost or as good as the v710)
vx6100 (great but no analog)
vx6000

After having used many phones and requiring the best RF reception/sound quality, go with one of these phones. However, know that if you get the v710 the bluetooth does not work (only with bluetooth headsets. no computer sync, no car support). Really, take my advice on this. After using one of the above phones you'll think the nokias get crappy reception.
I would stay away from the Motorola's simply because they have a lot of issues with the charging ports. The VX6100 does have analog, it is the VX6000 that does not.

If you want a bar phone I would go with the Nokia 6015i which is the current version offered by VZW. If you want a flip phone the LG VX7000 is probably one of the best offered right now.

Personally I would wait for the new VX8100 that is rumored to launch by fall. It has the broadband access as well as the BlueTooth for wireless headsets.