'Human shield' volunteers to head for Iraq

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-21-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By Andrew Cawthorne

LONDON (Reuters) - A first wave of mainly Western volunteers will leave London this weekend on a convoy bound for Iraq to act as "human shields" at key sites and populous areas in case of a U.S.-led war on Baghdad.

<b>"The potential for white Western body parts flying around with the Iraqi ones should make them think again about this imperialist oil war,"</b> organizer Ken Nichols, a former U.S. marine in the 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites), told Reuters.

His "We the People" organization will be sending off a first group of 50 human shields from the London mayor's City Hall building Saturday, part of a series of departures organizers say will involve hundreds, possibly thousands, of volunteers.

Nichols' planned human shield convoys are one of several such efforts around the world to mobilize activists in Iraq as a deterrent against military strikes on Baghdad.

In Bucharest, <b>more than 100 Romanian diehard communists</b> said Tuesday they would travel by bus to Iraq to act as human shields in case of a U.S. attack.

Members of the tiny Romanian Workers Party, which took the mantle of ousted dictator Nicolae Ceausescu's defunct Communist party in 1995, said they would set off next month to support <b>"the cause of the people."</b>

The new human shield plans revive memories of the 1991 Gulf War when <b>President Saddam Hussein forcibly held thousands of Western hostages after his invasion of Kuwait.</b>

<b>Many were put near sensitive sites in a bid to stop attacks that proved futile</b>, although there are not thought to have been any casualties among the Western hostages.

<b>Baghdad also used Iraqis</b>, alongside some foreign volunteers, as shields in 1998 against U.S.-British bombing.

Nichols' groups intend to drive through Europe and the Middle East en route to Iraq. The first will travel in a pair of double-decker buses, led by a car with a white peace flag on it.

"We are on the verge of something big," said volunteer Christiaan Briggs, 26, from New Zealand. He argued that the stream of human shield volunteers was <b>symptomatic of radicalizing anti-war opinion around the world.

"People know this is wrong. It is just so blatantly transparent how the U.S. is trying to impose its hegemony." </b>

PROPAGANDA ACCUSATIONS

"We the People" organizers said the self-financing human shield volunteers had come forward from a range of Western nations including the United States, Britain, Ireland, Switzerland, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain and Denmark.

There were also some volunteers from Muslim nation Turkey.

The major rallying point for Muslims, however, is in Iraq's neighbor Jordan. There, a campaign led by leftist parties and civic bodies is seeking 100,000 shield volunteers.

Baghdad has welcomed the plans, but volunteers smart at suggestions that they are handing a propaganda gift to Saddam.

Washington and London are sending troops to the Gulf and threatening military action against Saddam unless he admits to possessing weapons of mass destruction and disarms.

"It's laughable to say that we are working for Saddam when it was the UK and the U.S. who gave him his biological and other weapons in the first place," Nichols said.

<b>"The hypocrisy is mind-blowing. The biggest threat to world security at this moment is (U.S. President) George W. Bush."</b>

Nichols said his involvement in the human shield program was in part "penance" for his participation in the Gulf War when a U.S.-led force drove Saddam's troops out of Kuwait.

<b>But those forcibly used as human shields by Saddam in the past are stunned others are volunteering to do it. </b>

"Putting yourself in danger is not going to help at all," said John Nicol, a British air force flyer shot down in 1991 and later paraded on Iraqi television. He was moved around by the Iraqis to various potential targets and experienced allied bombing nearby.

"I doubt it would be a deterrent to any attack," Nicol, a journalist and military analyst since leaving the air force, told Reuters. "I am shocked that anyone would want to put themselves in such a situation."

Last edited by silentbob007; 01-21-03 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-21-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, this just gets better all the time. Now I really want war.
Old 01-21-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When is Sean Penn leaving?

Can we submit requests?
Old 01-21-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hopefully they are all one-way visa's
Old 01-21-03, 01:26 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

How long before Iraq announces that they've come to join his army and help fight off the infidels. I can picture Saddam on some balcony somewhere proclaiming his army has voulenteers from all the above mentioned countries.
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if they would have stayed on the room of the Twin Towers if they knew what was coming. My guess is that they would not.
Banned

Alec Baldwin is in the lottery pool also.
Old 01-21-03, 01:30 PM

I should go through and just highlight all of the buzz words or stock phrases.
Old 01-21-03, 01:30 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm not sure that attacking Iraq is the right move, but the presence of these idiots should have absolutely no bearing on the decision. The legal principle of assumption of the risk applies perfectly here.
Old 01-21-03, 01:31 PM
Banned

Hey [email protected]@k!!!! Kill two birds with one stone

In Bucharest, more than 100 Romanian diehard communists said Tuesday they would travel by bus to Iraq to act as human shields in case of a U.S. attack.

THANK YOU so much!!!!!
Old 01-21-03, 01:39 PM
Banned

what else can you say? The whole article is just littered with evidence of what kinds of people these are.

Yet if one of them dies, there familes will be on 20/20, Nightline, and the rest.
Old 01-21-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How will the Drawin Awards sort through all of these canidates if we do go to war?
Old 01-21-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by stp115
How will the Drawin Awards sort through all of these canidates if we do go to war?
DNA evidence.
Old 01-21-03, 02:13 PM

Old 01-21-03, 02:20 PM
Admin

Received 229 Likes on 149 Posts
This is absolutely moronic. I understand protesting war, but you don't help out the bad guys just because you want to protest. They'll be all surprised when they get a smart bomb in the ear and blame the US. "I can't believe they did this to us!" WHAT ARE YOU DOING AS A VOLUNTARY HUMAN SHIELD IN THE FIRST PLACE, IDIOT???!

Old 01-21-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is going to make it harder to sort out the POWs when the Iraqis surrender enmasse.
Old 01-21-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lol. I'm sure some of our soldiers would really hate it if they started an "Operation Kill the Hippies".

Maybe after this war, the world will be a smarter place.
Old 01-21-03, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope the CIA sends in a couple of "volunteers" w/ this crowd
Old 01-21-03, 02:44 PM

I imagine these morons will get to Baghdad about the same time Iraqi soldiers start deserting. They can wave at each other as they pass.
Old 01-21-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Theyll probally try to surrender to them.
Old 01-21-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Short List For Human Shield Volunteers:

Tom Daschle
Ted Kennedy
Bill Clinton
Hillary Clinton
Alec Baldwin
Sean Penn
Barbara Striesand
James Carville
Paul Begala
Jesse Jackson
Martin Sheen
Maxine Waters
Old 01-21-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Struz
My Short List For Human Shield Volunteers:

Tom Daschle
Ted Kennedy
Bill Clinton
Hillary Clinton
Alec Baldwin
Sean Penn
Barbara Striesand
James Carville
Paul Begala
Jesse Jackson
Martin Sheen
Maxine Waters
Don't forget Rosie O'Donnell...
Old 01-21-03, 03:19 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
Struz - personally, I'd exempt Martin Sheen, but only because I enjoy West Wing so much.
Old 01-21-03, 03:20 PM

And Cynthia McKinney of course; somebody sign her up before the flight leaves.
Old 01-21-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts
If you'll allow me, I'd like to add Celine Dion to that list. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.