Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Old 07-26-23, 01:56 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 78,200
Received 3,444 Likes on 2,478 Posts
Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Old 07-26-23, 01:59 PM
  #2  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palm Springs and Los Angeles
Posts: 23,082
Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Very sad- never recovered from her Son's suicide.
Old 07-26-23, 02:04 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,306
Received 5,867 Likes on 4,004 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Awful, so sad.
She was so talented but so troubled her whole life.
My wife loved her autobiography.
Old 07-26-23, 02:13 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,767
Received 912 Likes on 697 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

She may have hit it big with "Nothing Compares 2U", but for me it was her debut album, The Lion and the Cobra that stood out. When the First Wave station on SiriusXM plays "Mandinka", I'm in real danger of blowing out my speakers. RIP.
Old 07-26-23, 02:16 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Posts: 14,210
Received 1,745 Likes on 1,184 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

So sad. When I say 'rest in peace' I truly mean it for Sinead.
Old 07-26-23, 02:25 PM
  #6  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palm Springs and Los Angeles
Posts: 23,082
Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Autobiography was a wonderful read..
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 02:28 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 62,989
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,059 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Wow, so sad. But I hope she's at peace.
Old 07-26-23, 02:38 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,163
Likes: 0
Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Just watch it on CNN. Very sad, I have her first debut album on CD.
Old 07-26-23, 02:57 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus
 
Jason Bovberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 3,401
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Nothing compares to her.



The following 2 users liked this post by Jason Bovberg:
Kurt D (07-26-23), milo bloom (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 03:08 PM
  #10  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,322
Received 465 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Oh man, I just watched a documentary on her last week. I had kind of forgotten how great she was in her prime, and how trivial her scandal that got her blacklisted seems by today's standards (anti-war? against Priests molesting children? Banish her!).


The following 2 users liked this post by PerryD:
Jason Bovberg (07-26-23), kahuna (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 03:27 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 43,441
Received 2,578 Likes on 1,794 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Sad to hear. She was troubled, struggled with mental health issues, and wasn't cut out for fame and being in the spotlight. Seemed like she was living on borrowed time.

I first remember her being that weird bald chick on 120 Minutes, and a few years later "Nothing Compares 2 U" blew up.
Old 07-26-23, 03:55 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,676
Received 979 Likes on 702 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

I first remember first hearing Troy and was really blown away. It's probably still my favourite, from her.

RIP

Old 07-26-23, 05:13 PM
  #13  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Palm Springs and Los Angeles
Posts: 23,082
Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6zM...1552d45a4&nd=1

Good podcast with one of the best podcasters out of Ireland
Old 07-26-23, 05:25 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 7,530
Received 200 Likes on 115 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

I saw one of her last shows, this is my favorite song of hers...

Old 07-26-23, 05:50 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,165
Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

An incredible presence in both the music industry and the world. She tried to bring some light to some really important issues and I'm guessing so much of it overwhelmed.

I truly wish her peace now.
Old 07-26-23, 05:58 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Antipodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 6,634
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Her first two albums were the soundtracks for my high school first love and she’ll always mean something to me because of that. It was sad watching her struggle so much in the years since but we’ll always have The Lion And The Cobra, one of my favourite debut albums of all time. So fierce.

Last edited by The Antipodean; 07-26-23 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-26-23, 06:09 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 12,784
Received 1,045 Likes on 749 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Originally Posted by Paff
She may have hit it big with "Nothing Compares 2U", but for me it was her debut album, The Lion and the Cobra that stood out. When the First Wave station on SiriusXM plays "Mandinka", I'm in real danger of blowing out my speakers. RIP.
Came here to post that same thought. L&C is such a great album. I listened the fuck out of that CD in the late 80s and early 90s.
Old 07-26-23, 06:47 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
William Fuld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 4,064
Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Her performance (and Kris Kristofferson's support) at the Bob Dylan tribute still gives me chills. Her courage and toughness in the face of that hostile crowd and then her vulnerability as she leaves, incredible moment.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 07:30 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 24,625
Received 545 Likes on 393 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Originally Posted by andicus
I first remember first hearing Troy and was really blown away. It's probably still my favourite, from her.

RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c4v7fp5GC8
probably my favorite as well. I used to own L&C and need to get another copy (I don't do much streaming).

RIP Sinead.
Old 07-26-23, 07:38 PM
  #20  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,322
Received 465 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Her performance (and Kris Kristofferson's support) at the Bob Dylan tribute still gives me chills. Her courage and toughness in the face of that hostile crowd and then her vulnerability as she leaves, incredible moment.
I googled to watch that performance again (it's also covered well in the documentary running on Paramount Plus), but turned up a story just now that Kris K comforted her after that performance too, based on this quote (apparently from a tweet that's been deleted?)

“I would not agree Kris wasn’t totally masculine. He took full advantage when he got the chance #NoHeroOfMine.”

In a separate tweet, the pop star, who recently changed her name to Magda Davitt, explained that their sexual encounter was consensual.

She said: “In case my use of the words “took advantage” an earlier tweet might be misconstrued I wish to make clear that in no way, shape or form was I in any way sexually assaulted by Kris Kristoffersen. And that the one time we did have sex, it was consensual.”
Old 07-26-23, 10:46 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 12,784
Received 1,045 Likes on 749 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Would have been nice if sometime over the past 30 years Lorne Michaels had been man enough to publicly apologize for his reaction to O'Connor ripping that picture of the pope on SNL.

Maybe in 1992 it seemed a little loony for her to go on American TV and make a statement about the systemic sexual abuse of children and the Catholic Church covering it up, but it turns out she was just ahead of her time on the issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
BDB (07-27-23), Nesbit (07-27-23)
Old 07-26-23, 11:12 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 22,922
Received 669 Likes on 552 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

RIP

Nothing Compares to U was played nonstop on MTV every hour when MTV showed music videos.
Old 07-26-23, 11:26 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,306
Received 5,867 Likes on 4,004 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Would have been nice if sometime over the past 30 years Lorne Michaels had been man enough to publicly apologize for his reaction to O'Connor ripping that picture of the pope on SNL.

Maybe in 1992 it seemed a little loony for her to go on American TV and make a statement about the systemic sexual abuse of children and the Catholic Church covering it up, but it turns out she was just ahead of her time on the issue.
I disagree with this. She tricked him and SNL. She must have known it would have been an issue because she used a different picture when she said “Fight the real enemy”. It’s a live show and there was nothing he could do at that point. I still remember watching it live with my girlfriend at the time and our jaws just dropped. I turned to her and said “She’s finished”, and I was right. It’s a shame too, because O’Conner was on SNL to promote her third album which I had already purchased and thought was really great. That move tanked her career, it also totally killed that album, which I think could have been a hit if given some time to find an audience.
In any case, Lorne was furious, and he had the right to be. You don’t pull shit like that on a live telecast as the musical guest on a sketch comedy show. If she wanted to call out the Catholic Church for sexual abuse, MTV existed back then and certainly could have served as an appropriate venue for her to do so.
Old 07-26-23, 11:29 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 74,306
Received 5,867 Likes on 4,004 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

CNN played this song tonight. I had kind of totally forgotten her version (though I think I had the tribute album — it was called Two Rooms). It’s a beautiful version of the song (which was recently covered by Dua Lipa).
Old 07-27-23, 12:24 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 12,784
Received 1,045 Likes on 749 Posts
Re: Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

Originally Posted by Decker
I disagree with this. She tricked him and SNL. She must have known it would have been an issue because she used a different picture when she said “Fight the real enemy”. It’s a live show and there was nothing he could do at that point. I still remember watching it live with my girlfriend at the time and our jaws just dropped. I turned to her and said “She’s finished”, and I was right. It’s a shame too, because O’Conner was on SNL to promote her third album which I had already purchased and thought was really great. That move tanked her career, it also totally killed that album, which I think could have been a hit if given some time to find an audience.
In any case, Lorne was furious, and he had the right to be. You don’t pull shit like that on a live telecast as the musical guest on a sketch comedy show. If she wanted to call out the Catholic Church for sexual abuse, MTV existed back then and certainly could have served as an appropriate venue for her to do so.
So deceiving Lorne Michaels and choosing an inappropriate venue to air the grievance is more egregious than the sexual assault of thousands of children?

I thought there was nothing more important when dealing with this subject than people being allowed to speak their truth, and then applauding them for their bravery.

Maybe I was living in another country for the last six years and forgot.
The following 8 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
bchbdaddy (07-27-23), BDB (07-27-23), kahuna (07-27-23), Kurt D (07-27-23), LurkerDan (07-27-23), milo bloom (07-27-23), Nesbit (07-27-23), spainlinx0 (07-27-23) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.