Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 “Achtung Baby” and other Sphere Las Vegas Concerts Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2 “Achtung Baby” and other Sphere Las Vegas Concerts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-24, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts
Re: U2 “Achtung Baby” and other Sphere Las Vegas Concerts Thread

Originally Posted by BDB
That's wild 100$ to watch a movie..
It’s $100 to wander past some AI robots and then watch a really shitty 50 minute Darren Aronofsky movie. This is a much wiser way to experience the Sphere’s incredible tech. I’ll take my theater-owning friend there for sure.
Old 08-27-24, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 236 Likes on 176 Posts

If it's the whole show $100 it's not terribly expensive especially by Las Vegas standards. The prices, though, start at $100 and that's only for seats near the top of 405 and 406. Everything else goes up to $205. GA PIT for the live band cost $276. I checked out the listing and they are currently only offering the three middle sections of each level (200,300,400).If it's playing and I'm back in town I might check it out to see the view from the ceiling. I wouldn’t buy those for a live show but for this it shouldn't be bad.

Last edited by Kdogg; 08-28-24 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-14-24, 10:15 AM

The Sphere hosts its first sporting event tonight — a UFC on Mexican Independence Day and Fight Night in Vegas. Joe Pomp is a sports business podcaster I listen to and he’s got some interesting facts about how this will be presented tonight and how it ended up happening. The Sphere was specifically made for music, not sports, but they’ve managed to make it work for this event.

Old 09-22-24, 02:50 AM

Saw the second night of The Eagles. Maybe the least spectacular of the three residencies there so far, with a lot of visualizer images, but still really cool, and man they sounded pristine and clear. I have loved them ever since I first listened to a radio. Have seen them several times in concert since moving to Vegas 20 years ago. This was my first show since Glenn Frey died. It's not the same but Vince Gill does a good job with his songs, and Glen's son Deacon took lead vocals on a couple -- he's not as good as singer, but he was okay and kept the continuity going. Really had a nice time.
Here's some images

Last edited by Decker; 09-22-24 at 03:13 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Decker:
etching (09-23-24), Kdogg (09-22-24), Nesbit (09-22-24), PerryD (09-23-24)
Old 09-23-24, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 252 Posts

Glad to hear it was a good time. How did the visuals of the scene with the people swimming look in person? Thats the first visual I’ve seen that at least on youtube I didn’t really care for.

Have heard rumors of Dead and Co coming back and I think I would attend if they did. Slow night at work so while watching the eagles videos i came up with my top five living, performing acts i’d like to see there who are big enough to fill the sphere. Came up with

Stevie Wonder
Jack White
Metallica
System of a Down
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Last edited by Nesbit; 09-23-24 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-23-24, 08:39 AM

The swimming pool was Boys of Summer - starts out in B&W on the beach in a TV sized image, like the music video then expands to color and a couple dancing underwater. Boring.
The visuals were kind of unimpressive for the most part. Starts out with an incredible one for Hotel California- which is the biggest hit I've ever seen a major band open their concert with. Super impressive video, not unlike some of the best Dead & Co numbers. But never has anything that cool again. Almost everything else is kind of a visualizer and much is super on-the-nose. Following a fast car down the strip for Life in the Fast Lane. A long, slow sunrise for Tequila Sunrise, a rising cityscape for In The City. Soaring over the Rockies for Rocky Mountain Way. Care to guess what they showed for Her Shoes?

That said, it was still cool. Just never hit that creative opening high again.

Last edited by Decker; 09-23-24 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-23-24, 08:47 AM

Metallica and RHCP are stadium bands. Doubt they'd do the Sphere. Would love to go if they do though.
The one I thought of was Coldplay - not my taste but theyre a very popular international band, could have some cool visuals and their new album is literally called Music of the Spheres.

Pink is another artists like RHCP who recently graduated from arenas to stadiums. But she could have an amazing show and a successful run there if she were interested.

BTW their merch was many notches below the Dead stuff, but I still got a shirt since I love the Sphere so much.

Last edited by Decker; 09-23-24 at 09:02 AM.