Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

the Dixie Chicks. When did they change their name to the Essential Chicks?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-04-22, 09:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at Walmart the other day and was browsing the new Vinyl records to see what they had and noticed that the Dixie Chicks are now called the Essential Chicks.

The heck did this happen? Why and when did they change their name to the Essential Chicks?
Old 09-04-22, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 573 Likes on 467 Posts
Re: the Dixie Chicks. When did they change their name to the Essential Chicks?

They dropped Dixie in 2020. Like Lady Antebellum, they wanted to dissociate themselves from the Old South. Not sure about the Essential, though. It wasnít an album title?
Old 09-04-22, 10:17 PM

Received 1,120 Likes on 657 Posts

They didnít. They changed their name to The Chicks in 2020 to distance themselves from the Confederate-era South. "The Essential Chicks" is the name of their latest "best of" album, the "essential" hits.
Old 09-04-22, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Actually it's not even a new album, just a repackaging after the name change

Old 09-04-22, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Received 377 Likes on 264 Posts

A lot of artists are changing their name!

The following users liked this post:
Bob_Bobbson (09-06-22)
Old 09-05-22, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,079 Posts

"Essential" KoRn is kind of pushing it...
Old 09-05-22, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
"Essential" KoRn is kind of pushing it...
Korn is pushing it? How about The Essential Cyndi Lauper? What is that? Did they condense She's So Unusual down to an EP, throw in True Colors and the Goonies song, and call it a day?

Last edited by Paff; 09-05-22 at 06:34 PM. Reason: I thought True Colors was on the debut. It's not.
Old 09-06-22, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Crazy thing is, most of the titles in The Essential series are missing at least one or more well known song that's a no brainer. There is a companion series called "Gold". With some artists duplication between the two is just a few songs so having both gives you a well rounded 4 disc overview of their recordings.
Old 09-06-22, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 881 Likes on 640 Posts

Since the answer to the thread question was answered, the talk about greatest hits compilations reminds me of when my ship in Navy pulled into Bahrain. Found several music stores that sold cassettes. They were pretty cheap, about $1 each. They would sell Greatest Hits of some artists that I knew never officially released a Greatest Hits. I quickly assumed US copyrights didn't apply overseas (or it's not worth going after). It's something you don't think about until you actually see it. As a bonus for these tapes the lyrics are included. Those were amusing to read because the translations were not quite right. These Greatest Hits tapes were $1.50. I wish I still had some of those tapes. I bought many tapes because I liked to relax by listening to music. They used Maxell tapes.

There was also VCR movies for just released in theater movies. One store was even called The Disney Store. Lots of hand-painted Disney characters on the walls. One guy in my department bought a bunch and brought them back to watch on the VCR in our sleeping quarters. I told him they won't work and they didn't. Had to explain to him the differences between PAL and NTSC. So much bootlegging going on.
Old 09-06-22, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Korn is pushing it? How about The Essential Cyndi Lauper? What is that? Did they condense She's So Unusual down to an EP, throw in True Colors and the Goonies song, and call it a day?
We got a KoRn fan here!

I just looked up both albums, and "The Essential KoRn" looks like a 28-track two disc, while Cyndi's is a single disc with 14 tracks.

The thing about KoRn is that every time I hear a KoRn song, I think it's "Freak on a Leash." They're not my favorite band, and I'm not really into nu-metal, but I did see them live at a festival fifteen or so years ago, and they were quite good live.

Old 09-06-22, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 464 Likes on 239 Posts

Since we're talking about Korn, this is as good a place as any to share this. My 12 year old daughter just recently got into CD collecting after stumbling upon some No Doubt CD's at 2nd and Charles and asking me what they were and how to play them. So I got her a CD player and she's started a little collection. I also let her go thru my old CD collection and take whatever she wanted. One of the CD's she took was Korn's "Follow the Leader", because her friend liked Korn.

So anyway her friend was over a couple weeks ago and she called me me into her room because her CD player wasn't working. I thought maybe it was broken. I hadn't bought one in a long time but I've had bad luck with lots of CD players that I've bought for my kids room to play lullabies when they were very young, and I though it might be another one of those.

So I asked her what she was trying to play, and she said it was Korn.

It was then that I remembered that "Follow the Leader" starts with 12 tracks of silence, so that the album can start on track 13. I pushed it ahead to 13 and of course it started playing.

I explained that to her, and she was very confused as to why someone would do that, lol.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 09-07-22 at 06:36 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Obi-Wanma:
emanon (09-07-22), gerrythedon (09-06-22), joeblow69 (09-07-22)
Old 09-06-22, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma View Post
My 12 year old daughter just recently got into CD collecting after stumbling upon some No Doubt CD's at 2nd and Charles and asking me what they were and how to play them.
I've never felt really old until now.

The following users liked this post:
emanon (09-07-22)
Old 09-07-22, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 464 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I've never felt really old until now.
lol, yeah. She's familiar with physical media. I have tons of DVD's and video games, but I haven't really played music off of a disc in a long time, so she wasn't really familiar with music in that format. She really likes No Doubt, and she saw the jewel case with them on it and wanted to know how to listen to it.

I let her know that she could actually listen to it in her DVD player, which she did until I got the CD player for her.
Old 09-07-22, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

To be fair to her I was confused why they would do it in 1998. You should let her listen to a few Type O Negative albums, since most of them start with a pratical joke audio at the beginning.
Taking a look at the Korn track list they oddly stopped at 2003 and the album came out in 2011. That would make sense if their later albums had no hits, but I'm suprised to not see Twisted Transistor, Coming Undone, or Oildale at the very least. Although maybe its a rights issue as they switched labels.