Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Kacey Musgraves

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Kacey Musgraves

Is anyone else a fan? She has a new album called Star Crossed out Sept 10.

I have enjoyed all 3 of her albums so far. Have a feeling this new one will be a letdown after the highs of Golden Hour, which won Album of the Year at Grammy’s 2 years ago.

a lot of people only know her for Follow Your Arrow, and that’s a shame. She’s talented.
Old 08-27-21, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: Kacey Musgraves

I am listening to Golden Hour now. Can't wait for "star-crossed" and have had it on preorder since it went up.
Old 08-27-21, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I am listening to Golden Hour now. Can't wait for "star-crossed" and have had it on preorder since it went up.
im not feeling the first 2 songs released so far.

I somehow recorded her entire show in Indianapolis 2 years ago, where she performed the entire Golden Hour album.

my arms hurt afterwards but it was worth it. My fiancée and I had seats about 10 rows from the stage center.

we have since split up and Kacey got divorced and this is her divorce album.

I think it will be good overall. Star Crossed the song is fine but maybe not a great track to sell an album off the bat.

Old 08-27-21, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that the title track is a bit of an odd choice for a single but I like the other song. Hopefully they both work out better in the concept of the album.
Old 08-27-21, 07:22 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Golden Hour was fantastic.
Old 08-27-21, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Golden Hour is fantastic but I prefer the first two more. Just shows how much I love her music.
Old 08-27-21, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Golden Hour is fantastic but I prefer the first two more. Just shows how much I love her music.
Her debut in 2015, the highs are really high. Pageant Material is good all the way through, just not quite as good. Golden Hour is very good start to finish. Some great highs on that one, too.

She's due for a letdown. Although, I don't think Pageant Material went over that well. Golden Hour release caught me by surprise and I wasn't expecting much. But trying to cross country with pop can be difficult to please longtime fans or any fans, really. Kacey says this new album will have a little more country feel to it.

Kinda odd she's releasing a film with it too, and the album is divided up into 3 parts. Whatever. Looking forward to it.
Old 08-28-21, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Who is she?

Just kidding

It seems like she is trying to break out as a pop star with a VMA performance on Sept 12.
Old 08-28-21, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

We like her quite a bit. Saw her on her first tour at a small venue in Asheville, NC....then again at a much larger venue a few years ago after she blew up. I think her first 2 albums are the best, but she's always good to listen to. I like her doing the fun, quirky material best.
Old 08-28-21, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by tommyp007
We like her quite a bit. Saw her on her first tour at a small venue in Asheville, NC....then again at a much larger venue a few years ago after she blew up. I think her first 2 albums are the best, but she's always good to listen to. I like her doing the fun, quirky material best.

oh yes, her lyrics are clever and funny when she is not taking herself too seriously. 👍
Old 09-01-21, 11:57 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Was a big fan back when Merry Go Round first hit the airwaves. One of the smoothest voices I’ve heard since Alison Krauss. Loved Same Trailer Different Park. Thought Pageant Material was a good follow up. Then Golden Hour came out and while it had some good songs, you got the feeling she was trying to follow Taylor Swift and peace out on country music. Might be the only artist I can think of where I like each subsequent album less than the one before.

I’m just glad I got to see her in concert several times before she started to make the transition, including her debut at the Ryman.

I listened to the two new songs earlier this week and can’t see how this album will be “more country” than the last couple. Unless she’s just talking about how she’ll be singing about her divorce for fifteen songs. Production just sounded like shitty pop. Get rid of the MacBook, add in some real drums and a steel guitar and we’d be onto something.

Old 09-06-21, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by John Galt
Was a big fan back when Merry Go Round first hit the airwaves.

I listened to the two new songs earlier this week and can’t see how this album will be “more country” than the last couple. Unless she’s just talking about how she’ll be singing about her divorce for fifteen songs. Production just sounded like shitty pop. Get rid of the MacBook, add in some real drums and a steel guitar and we’d be onto something.

based on the 4 reviews out so far, It appears that she has moved farther away. I think the album will still be good but a couple of them kind of indicate that it’s also a bit of a letdown after golden hour.

I just don’t think she’s going to sell a lot of records to the crowd she appears to be going for.

teenage girls like hit singles and these first two offerings ain’t that
Old 09-10-21, 12:41 AM

Just gave the album a first pass. There's really nothing country about it. That doesn't mean her lyrics and vocals don't shine though. The problem is the album is this weird mix of new age/psychedelic/pop. In fact, most of the album just sounds like Kacey singing with an Enigma album playing in the background. The best parts are where they ditch the production, slow down the tempo, and just let her sing. And why the hell would the producers modulate Kacey's voice on several songs? It just sounds terrible. This is something I would expect from any number of pop singers who have crowded the country music space, but I would expect more from Musgraves. She's from Texas and is a huge fan of Willie Nelson and John Prine, plus her producers have put out good country albums before. Hopefully this is just what she had in mind for the concept and she'll return to her roots with the next album.
Old 09-10-21, 06:43 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This is up on Paramout+

Join Grammy-Award winning country superstar Kacey Musgraves in star-crossed, the film inspired by the new album.
Old 09-11-21, 05:22 AM

Only listened to the new album twice. It’s very breezy, but I do like the musical choices on some tracks.

Would have been nice to sprinkle a little bit of country-ish stuff in.

It’s a disappointment but still good
Old 09-11-21, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am not digging it so far. Nothing has stood out and grabbed me but hopefully the album as a whole is a grower.
Old 10-13-21, 01:24 PM

Looks like the Grammy's agreed and are refusing to let her album be entered in the Country categories. Now her label is throwing a fit due to the decision. Nice to finally see some gatekeepers somewhere who aren't asleep on the job.
Old 12-04-21, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a weird video

Old 12-12-21, 03:50 AM

I love Kacey but this a very very forgettable and mediocre Pop album.

I hope she realizes that and gets back to work soon on a new record.

Hell, the best thing she did this fall was cover Coldplay “Fix You “”. just recently
Old 03-16-24, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Her new album is out and the vinyl is scented too

Old 03-16-24, 05:59 AM

Received 433 Likes on 297 Posts

Listening to it again right now. Absolutely fantastic!!!