Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Chick Corea (1941-2021)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Chick Corea (1941-2021)

Old 02-11-21, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Chick Corea (1941-2021)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-obit-1127283/

Chick Corea was a huge figure in the fusion jazz scene in the 1970's. He worked with a wide range of artists and the group Return to Forever in addition to his solo career.

Not my favorite flavor of fusion, but his influence was huge. He was still active, having released an album in 2020.

Another classic artist I'll never get the chance to see
Old 02-11-21, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts
Re: Chick Corea (1941-2021)

I used to work for a company that made MIDI adapters for acoustic pianos, and many big name artists (Billy Joel, Elton John, Bruce Hornsby, Keith Emerson, etc) used them . But anytime any of those people called for support, it was always the piano tech I ended up talking to on the phone. Except for the one time when Chick Corea just took the phone from the tech's hands and explained the problem to me himself. That's my one and only exposure to Chick Corea, since I don't really dig that style of music. But it's probably the last time I can tell that story.
Old 02-12-21, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,430 Likes on 912 Posts

Chick Corea had a giant reputation, but I have never heard anything he did except for playing on Bitch's Brew. I don't like Bitch's Brew. His name kept coming up in Keyboard magazine, so musicians must have admired him greatly.
Old 02-12-21, 08:45 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I've heard the name Chick Corea and his band Return to Forever many times over the years, as well as Stanley Clarke (School Days), Lenny White, Al Di Meola, but I couldn't remember any of his music. So I listened to a song of his with the previously mentioned musicians and wasn't all that impressed with what I heard. Perhaps it's because I've grown beyond this type of music, I don't know, but it just sounded too chaotic to me. I'll always respect what he did for progressive jazz & fusion, it's sad that he had to go like that. RIP Chick.
Old 02-13-21, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I’ve always been a big fan of his duo projects with Bela Fleck.
Old 02-17-21, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

Seems I saw him TWO nights at the Playboy Jazz festival in 1990. I went to 3-4 years of those, and saw an amazing number of legendary artists. Etta James, Miles Davis, on and on.
Old 02-25-21, 02:14 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 574 Likes on 333 Posts

I've listened to him since the early 80s. In 1987 I was visiting a friend in NYC and we were wandering around late one night and came to the Blue Note. We peeked in the door, and the door man said "it's your lucky night" and motioned for us to go in. We stood at the back of the room as Chick Corea played the end of his set, with Steve Gadd on drums (who I've seen a few times). It was amazing.

I did lose some respect for him when I later learned he was a scientologist, though.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I did lose some respect for him when I later learned he was a scientologist, though.
That'll do it, won't it? Sort of like how I felt when I found out that Eric Carmen (Raspberries) is a hardcore Trumpist, believing that the election would eventually be overturned, etc

I've listened to him since the early 80s. In 1987 I was visiting a friend in NYC and we were wandering around late one night and came to the Blue Note. We peeked in the door, and the door man said "it's your lucky night" and motioned for us to go in. We stood at the back of the room as Chick Corea played the end of his set, with Steve Gadd on drums (who I've seen a few times). It was amazing.
As an aside, I just finally found what the "blue note" is: the flatted fifth, even though the so-called "blues scale" uses a perfect fifth. Man, add that flatted fifth into your improvising and it totally gives you that blues sound I'd never been able to replicate before.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (02-26-21)