Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Phil Collins in the Air Tonight back on the charts

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Miami Vice helped break it and Mike Tyson brought it back for the Hangover and assumed it would have charted in 2009.

In the Air Tonight" has reentered the music charts nearly 40 years after its release. Phil Collins has the Williams brothers to thank.

Tim and Fred Williams, 22-year-old twins and YouTubers, recently filmed themselves listening to Collins' 1981 single for the first time. Their endearing reaction -- dropped jaws, smiling in disbelief when the drum solo drops -- seems to have revived the song's popularity.
As of Tuesday, "In the Air Tonight" is charting second on iTunes, just behind the days-old Cardi B-Megan Thee Stallion collaboration, "WAP."

"In the Air Tonight" never faded into obscurity -- that famous drum breakdown wouldn't go quietly -- but it hadn't exactly found a Gen Z audience. Unlike "Break My Stride," it hadn't achieved TikTok fame.

The siblings from Gary, Indiana, film themselves listening to classic artists for the first time and share the clips on YouTube. They've reacted to Whitney Houston, Lauryn Hill and Dolly Parton (who delighted in their positive response to "Jolene").

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/enter...rnd/index.html

Old 08-12-20, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Phil Collins in the Air Tonight back on the charts

I watched that reaction the other day, nothing really special compared to the 100's of others on youtube. One one thing about music reactions, I find it really hard to believe some of them are true first time reactions, especially when they are songs that are huge in pop culture.
Old 08-12-20, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I watched that reaction the other day, nothing really special compared to the 100's of others on youtube. One one thing about music reactions, I find it really hard to believe some of them are true first time reactions, especially when they are songs that are huge in pop culture.
I don't think that song is as ingrained in the pop culture memory as you think. These dudes were born in 98, which means it came out 18 years before they were born. It's not a song that gets played ad nauseam in kids movies (stuff like Bad Reputation or I'm a Believer) so they wouldn't have heard it that way. The last time I think I heard it used in a commercial was in the trailer for the 2006 Miami Vice trailer. Phil Collins is not a household name, certainly not to anyone younger than 30.
Old 08-12-20, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
That was my feeling as well. Could be authentic... could be fake. Who the heck knows on YouTube.
Old 08-12-20, 08:28 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Billboard in the past couple years started counting streams (Spotify, Apple, etc) in their calculations for their Top Singles and Top Albums, so any viral pop, no matter how short, will cause the single or album to chart since sales are so low now.
Old 08-12-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Not sure that the article writer did their research. The song absolutely had TikTok following due to memes along these lines:

https://m.tiktok.com/v/6822810532861...tm_source=copy

https://m.tiktok.com/v/6821536114516...tm_source=copy
Old 08-12-20, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Anything to make a buck.
Old 08-12-20, 01:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe all this attention will reopen that case of the dude that Phil Collins drowned.
The following 2 users liked this post by Groucho:
Mabuse (08-12-20), tommyp007 (08-13-20)
Old 08-12-20, 01:50 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

This kinda iTunes chart manipulation has gone on for a few months. Catalog albums have jumped to the top of the charts because of a sudden spike in sales. Sometimes, less than 100 sales can make an old album hit the charts.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/04/3...edtime-stories

Last week, Madonna’s 1994 album, “Bedtime Stories,” sold 20 copies via streaming. This week, from Friday through Monday night, the same album sold 70 copies.

Somehow, “Bedtime Stories” – not a landmark recording – has landed at number 4 on iTunes tonight.

The Madonna album follows Mariah Carey’s “E=MC2,” which hit number 1 on Monday on iTunes even though its sales don’t reflect such a success.

Strangely, each of those albums – dormant for years – had a spike in sales on February 14th, then subsided. Now they’ve taken a second run at the top of the iTunes charts.

It’s the same, too, for Janet Jackson’s “Control,” from 1986. It was nowhere and is now number 7 or 8 on iTunes. Since Friday, “Control” has sold 337 copies. Last week, it sold 87.

None of the numbers for this week, for these divas’ old records, are comparable to current hit records. But somehow iTunes is counting them as top 10 hits. Three hit singers from the 1980s with fanatic fan bases. It’s likely not a coincidence. Someone is manipulating the iTunes chart.

Old 08-13-20, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a great song so if this is what it takes for young people to discover it in a unconventional way that is ok with me.
Old 08-13-20, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It is a great song so if this is what it takes for young people to discover it in a unconventional way that is ok with me.
Yeah better than the shite they listen to anyway.
Old 08-13-20, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Eww. I hated this song in 1981, 1983, 1984, 2009, and today.

And honestly, there are so many "reaction" videos of enthusiastic ethnic type reacting to Whitey's music. Why these "twins" are getting so much buzz, no idea, but someone has a financial interest here...
Old 08-14-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
I don't think that song is as ingrained in the pop culture memory as you think. These dudes were born in 98, which means it came out 18 years before they were born. It's not a song that gets played ad nauseam in kids movies (stuff like Bad Reputation or I'm a Believer) so they wouldn't have heard it that way. The last time I think I heard it used in a commercial was in the trailer for the 2006 Miami Vice trailer. Phil Collins is not a household name, certainly not to anyone younger than 30.
Would they not have listened to Eminem though? You'd think they would have at least listened to it to understand the lyrics in "Stan".
Old 08-14-20, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Eww. I hated this song in 1981, 1983, 1984, 2009, and today.
Same.

He wore out his welcome in the 80s. I almost puked when he played a Live Aid show and then flew to the other how to play there.
This barrage of radio/video play is what pretty much killed his career - for which I was grateful... and he has no one to blame but himself for the over exposure.

I'm enjoying a Phil Collins-less life since the early 90s. Please don't bring him back into the spotlight.

Su-Su-Sussudio... su-su-suck a bag of dicks.

The following users liked this post:
Hokeyboy (08-15-20)
Old 08-15-20, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
Same.

He wore out his welcome in the 80s. I almost puked when he played a Live Aid show and then flew to the other how to play there.
This barrage of radio/video play is what pretty much killed his career - for which I was grateful... and he has no one to blame but himself for the over exposure.

I'm enjoying a Phil Collins-less life since the early 90s. Please don't bring him back into the spotlight.

Truth. Once No Jacket Required became a thing, humanity was fucked. Collins was omnipresent and it was revolting.

Although I love me some Genesis. Any era with Steve Hackett in it especially.
Old 08-16-20, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
Would they not have listened to Eminem though? You'd think they would have at least listened to it to understand the lyrics in "Stan".
That song came out 2 years after they were born. Also young dudes look at guys like Eminem like we looked at Sugar Hill Gang. Aware of the impact but they aren’t listening to it regularly.

Also I owned that album and loved that song, but couldn’t remember a reference to Phil Collins in it, I had to look up what you were referring to. Been a minute since I listened to that song haha
Old 08-16-20, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Same.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Truth. Once No Jacket Required became a thing, humanity was fucked. Collins was omnipresent and it was revolting.

Although I love me some Genesis. Any era with Steve Hackett in it especially.
Jeez...y'all some old, angry motherfuckers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
DJariya (08-18-20), Kdogg (08-23-20)
Old 08-16-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I know. Didn't know there was this much hate for the man.
Old 08-16-20, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Oh, be nice
Old 08-17-20, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

This has been making the rounds

Old 08-17-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When Collins did Another day in Paradise that is when he became soft and then that Tarzan movie cemented it.

At least his music in the early to mid 80s was still rock and he was cool then.

Old 08-18-20, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I was doing some work on the house this weekend and I usually just put on my music collection but decided to roll with YouTube instead. I listen to plenty of music videos that way too so I pick a song hit play and YT does it's algorithm thing and just keeps rolling. All good. Out of nowhere after a couple of songs this 'react' video started playing. I've watched plenty of react videos so it's not crazy it popped up, just weird since I wasn't in that YT groove at the time. Anyway, I stopped what I was doing to watch. Not bad. Good on the younger set checking out older music.

It also made me realize that I always forget about Phil and his tunes never make it in my rotation.

Lastly, I loved his songs in Tarzan so you old grumpy mf'ers can suck it.