Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Visiting Graceland

Old 07-17-19, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Re: Visiting Graceland

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Question: Did Spinal Tap really visit Graceland? It looks pretty convincing in the movie, they even go to the famous gate in the outtakes. Was it filmed there or was it a mock up? I can’t find confirmation online.
Some of it, yes.

https://www.movie-locations.com/movi...Spinal-Tap.php
Old 07-17-19, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I’d already found that. I too noticed that the bits where they do the comedy appear to be filmed somewhere else. But other internet sources say that the establishing shots of the grave are a mock up, not the actual place. If it’s a mock up, it’s a good one. As are the gates in the outtakes. They look very real.
Old 07-17-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’d also add that if they did go there it’s the only location they actually traveled to. Everything else on their American tour was faked in the LA area.
Old 07-22-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I visited Graceland back in 2007. Me and my friend were on a road trip from TX and stopped at Graceland along the way (Dollywood was the last stop). I really enjoyed the tour and thought it was good enough to be seen at least once. My favorite rooms were the Jungle Room and the kitchen. We did the regular tour.

While we were all out front waiting for our shuttle bus to take us back across the street, we were all standing there in silence waiting, when all of the sudden we heard wailing coming from where Elvis was buried and someone over there just crying out over and over "Elvis! Oh Elvis!" - as if he just died the day before! It was sort of uncomfortable to hear, but luckily the shuttle bus pulled up before we had to listen to it for any longer.

Graceland is in the middle of the ghetto (or it was when we were there). I remember when we got off the highway and drove down Elvis Presley Blvd, it was nothing but ghetto all the way. Once we got to about a block or two from Graceland it was all a nice area. As you drive away from Graceland and keep heading down the street, it turned into ghetto again.

We did the tour late in the day and decided not to hang out after dark in that area and got on the highway and headed towards Hurricane Mills to get a room for the night since we were going to tour Loretta Lynn's Ranch the next day (she's about 45 west of Nashville).

Nashville wasn't too bad. Me and my friend didn't do the nightlife thing. Just walked around Broadway and went into Tootsie's (where all the famous Country Western folk who performed at the Ryman would go for drinks after their turns on stage). And we also checked out Ernest Tubb Records and the other shops out there.

But like I said, this was all back in 2007 - 12 years ago. I'm pretty sure its all changed since then. I heard Graceland looks like Disneyland now with all the upgrades and gaudy hotels, stores and such - which pretty much sucked the heart out of it all. Another reason I won't be going back there.
Old 07-22-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good tips. You’re not the first to tell me that Memphis is terrible and Nashville is better. We will be stopping just long enough to see Graceland.