Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What became of pop musicians?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What became of pop musicians?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: What became of pop musicians?

Radio used to produce far more novelty song hits. That kind of disappeared for whatever reason when corporate playlists started dominating radio.
Old 08-17-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Has "becoming a pop/rockstar" or "becoming a movie star", been replaced with "being famous for the sake of being famous"?

I remember when I was a preteen/teenager, the folks I knew who were constantly bragging about "becoming famous", typically chose the route of becoming a pop/rock musician or a stage/screen actor. (In those days, there wasn't really any "reality tv" other than bizarre stuff which showed up occasionally during the local 6 o'clock news).

Last edited by morriscroy; 08-17-18 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-17-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I wonder if that decline was a matter of carefully picking the starting point. There isn't a whole lot of sophistication to the 1958 hits "Purple People Eater" or "The Chipmunk Song".
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
So were "Yakety Yak", "Tequila", and "The Witch Doctor". They were all big pop hits that year. It doesn't make the case that the sophistication of pop music has been declining, only that it has been varying.
Pop music had far more variety back in those days. For instance, when I was a kid I could hear novelty songs like the ones cited, plus Motown, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, the Impressions, Vikki Carr, Andy Williams, Sinatra, Dean Martin, Peter, Paul and Mary, Judy Collins, Linda Ronstadt, Grace Slick, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, the Moody Blues, country singers, folk singers, and the occasional Latin crossover (e.g. "Bang Bang" by Joe Cuba, and "I Like It Like That" by Pete Rodriguez), not to mention that Japanese hit, "Sukiyaki" and "the Singing Nun." All on one radio station!
Old 08-17-18, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Maybe is just me but I think pop today is better than anything on the charts between 1997 and the early 2000's.