Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The 40th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Elvis Presley's former wife, Priscilla Presley, and his only child, Lisa Marie Presley, joined fans for a candlelight vigil at Graceland on Tuesday night to remember the late musician 40 years after his death.

Priscilla Presley spoke in front of thousands of the King of Rock and Roll's mourners at the late musician's Memphis mansion.

"This is the largest anniversary we have ever, ever had, so I want to thank you all," she said. "You are keeping Elvis Presley alive."

She and her daughter, Lisa Marie, and Lisa Marie's 10-year-old twin daughters lit candles and joined the memorial procession, reports People.

Though it's not known how many fans attended Tuesday's vigil, Graceland was preparing for 50,000 visitors this year for its special 40th anniversary Elvis Week, which takes place each August.

The annual candlelight vigil is a hallmark event for Elvis Week. This year's event was controversial because, for the first time, visitors attending had to pay $28.75 for a wristband to walk up the long driveway and past the graves where Presley and relatives are buried.

The wristband also provided access to a new $45 million entertainment complex at the Memphis tourist attraction.

Presley died on Aug. 16, 1977, at 42. He was found dead in his bathroom in the Graceland mansion in Memphis. Though he was rushed to Baptist Memorial Hospital, attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.

He was initially believed to have died from heart failure, but further investigation revealed that abusing prescription drugs may have contributed to his death.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/priscil...inkId=41064330

I have always been a fan of Elvis. It's hard to believe it's been 40 years since he passed away.
Old 08-17-17, 08:49 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: The 40th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death.

My dad was a huge Elvis fan, and he made me cassette tapes of Elvis which I listened to when I was around 8 to 10 years old, so it was a big deal when Elvis died.

I also enjoyed most of the movies he starred in, namely the late 50s, early 60s output. I'm surprised how few Elvis movies have made it out on Blu-Ray. I see Twilight Time and Kino putting out a few movies, but still not sure about the Paramount movies like Blue Hawaii and G.I. Blues. I guess if the 40th anniversary of his death won't get those movies released onto a current format, then nothing will.
Old 08-17-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Fake news. Elvis is alive and well shopping at Walmart.

Old 08-17-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts