Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still buy CDs / have you gotten rid of them?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Do you still buy CDs / have you gotten rid of them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts
Re: Do you still buy CDs / have you gotten rid of them?

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I've been trying to move a lot of my CDs onto my computer and into iTunes, and I've got all that I've done so far backed up on a jump drive.

My quandary is that some albums, like Pink Floyd's The Wall, for instance, seque all or certain songs together. When they're broken up into individual tracks, they start and end weirdly, and if I'm listening to the entire album sequentially, there are annoying pauses between the tracks that disrupt the intended flow of the music.

Does this not bother those of you who are going all digital, or have you found some miracle work-around so that this doesn't occur?
Digital has weird problems. I have a lot of cast recordings, and a lot of the individual songs are credited to the specific actors/characters, which is the right thing to do. But iTunes will often sort those songs as separate albums (e.g., Sound of Music by Julie Andrews, Sound of Music by Christopher Plummer), so one recording will be categorized as 12 different albums, which is a real PITA.

Originally Posted by nando820
I used to like that feature from Amazon. I bought a few physical CDs from Amazon that had that feature so I use to stream those albums. Then i started noticing some songs didn't sound like I remembered, so i pulled out the actual CDs, played them on my cheap portable Disc player and there was a world of difference in quality (at least to my ears) the mp3 sounded all muffled compared to the actual CDs. Haven't used that feature ever since
I haven't noticed that problem myself, thankfully. I expect that kind of thing could vary a lot by album.
Old 04-17-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I've been trying to move a lot of my CDs onto my computer and into iTunes, and I've got all that I've done so far backed up on a jump drive.

My quandary is that some albums, like Pink Floyd's The Wall, for instance, seque all or certain songs together. When they're broken up into individual tracks, they start and end weirdly, and if I'm listening to the entire album sequentially, there are annoying pauses between the tracks that disrupt the intended flow of the music.

Does this not bother those of you who are going all digital, or have you found some miracle work-around so that this doesn't occur?
I haven't checked in a long while, but I never found a workaround. Just the nature of the digital beast. I listen to a lot of prog/concept albums so a lot of songs segue into the next. The digital gap sucks.

That's one of the reasons why I keep the cd in the car for a few months to get some solid listening in before switching to digital.
Old 04-18-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

When they're broken up into individual tracks, they start and end weirdly, and if I'm listening to the entire album sequentially, there are annoying pauses between the tracks that disrupt the intended flow of the music.

iTunes and Spotify have settings so you can ensure there's no gap in playback... You can even have them crossfade into each other.
Old 04-18-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I have way too many CDs in boxes in my garage. Mostly the 1st and 2nd albums my band put out.
Old 04-18-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
I used to like that feature from Amazon. I bought a few physical CDs from Amazon that had that feature so I use to stream those albums. Then i started noticing some songs didn't sound like I remembered, so i pulled out the actual CDs, played them on my cheap portable Disc player and there was a world of difference in quality (at least to my ears) the mp3 sounded all muffled compared to the actual CDs. Haven't used that feature ever since
I'm going to guess that you're talking about a while back? It sounds like you are as that is when Amazon used the variable bit rate (256 kbps variable bit rate) basically - any song plays up to 256 kbps but the bit rate will lower based on when the song calls for it (when the content data is less dense) - It's a real shitty format IMO.

They don't use that format anymore though (even though their website help section says they do) I've seen some of the songs I've downloaded at almost 300 kbps - this is in turn is the "256 kbps constant rate" - hence the odd bit rate sizes you will see for your songs - I do not have a problem with this format - songs sound great.

Also, if you want to upload your music to Amazon (believe they cap you at 250 free songs to upload then you need to pay to upload more) they will keep whatever format you use when you upload - even FLAC.
Old 04-18-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

CDs? See deez nuts! Ha! Got eem!
Old 04-18-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
iTunes and Spotify have settings so you can ensure there's no gap in playback... You can even have them crossfade into each other.
You can link tracks in iTunes when importing from CD. If you buy the digital edition of, say, Dark Side of the Moon, you're not going to be able to permanently link tracks that should be one to begin with.
Old 04-18-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Just bought about 10 CDs from the thrift store yesterday for $1 a piece. I'm planning on flipping 2 of them, but the rest are for me. My prefers to have everything digital, and I have a ton of stuff on my phone, but I still like being able to put in a CD in my car, and just listen to an album. A few years ago, she convinced me to downsize my collection, and we got rid of some chaff (Joshua Kadison...why?) but there were a few titles I regret getting rid of.
Old 04-18-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
You can link tracks in iTunes when importing from CD. If you buy the digital edition of, say, Dark Side of the Moon, you're not going to be able to permanently link tracks that should be one to begin with.
This is true; however, I recently discovered a setting on iTunes that allows you to group songs together after the fact. If you tag each song/file using the "grouping" field, you can link songs together so that they play sequentially.

So, for example, you can tag the first five songs of Dark Side of the Moon as "Dark Side of the Moon - Side One." I find this really helpful, as I like to use the shuffle mode a lot and songs will play in the appropriate order without any awkward breaks or gaps.
Old 04-21-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Recent yearly tally of CDs purchased:

2013: 27
2014: 38
2015: 14
2016: 8
2017: so far only 2

I retired in Sept. 2015, so I started buying less. Most of them are J-pop, so the music is not easy to access any other way. I went through a period where I was discovering Japanese singers on a regular basis and buying up cheap CDs to sample them at Book Off and now I've got boxes filled with them and most of them I probably won't listen to again, so I may have to cart them back to Book Off and get pennies on the dollars I spent on them. As it stands, I only follow a few groups and singers these days (all J-pop) and the trend among these acts is fewer and fewer CD albums and I don't feel like buying all their singles anymore.

When I buy CDs I usually transfer them to iTunes and listen to them that way, but since the titles are all in Japanese, I don't always know which albums are which. The iTunes account is only on my desktop which is in the living room. I really need another portable CD player so I can listen to them when working in the bedroom. Do they even make those anymore?
Old 04-21-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Most of them are J-pop, so the music is not easy to access any other way. I went through a period where I was discovering Japanese singers on a regular basis and buying up cheap CDs to sample them at Book Off and now I've got boxes filled with them and most of them I probably won't listen to again, so I may have to cart them back to Book Off and get pennies on the dollars I spent on them. As it stands, I only follow a few groups and singers these days (all J-pop) and the trend among these acts is fewer and fewer CD albums and I don't feel like buying all their singles anymore.
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what groups do you listen to these days, Ash? I'm a fan of Japanese music too, but I tend more toward the J-Indie artists like Fantastic Plastic Machine, Rip Slyme, Cornelius, Love Psychedelico, and, of course, Pizzicato Five. As far as pure J-Pop goes, I guess that Perfume and Utada Hikaru are the only artists that I listen to on a consistent basis.
Old 04-22-17, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what groups do you listen to these days, Ash? I'm a fan of Japanese music too, but I tend more toward the J-Indie artists like Fantastic Plastic Machine, Rip Slyme, Cornelius, Love Psychedelico, and, of course, Pizzicato Five. As far as pure J-Pop goes, I guess that Perfume and Utada Hikaru are the only artists that I listen to on a consistent basis.
In answer to your question, I just finished watching the latest concert DVD from Morning Musume. It was at Budokan and it was just fantastic. Yeah, I'm a Hello! Project fanboy. (I've seen MM live six times, twice in America and four times in Japan.) So I follow all the groups under the H!P umbrella. When I'm done with this I have to practice J-pop songs for karaoke today. I usually do H!P songs, but I may go old-school today and do some Yumi Arai, Megumi Hayashibara and Anri.

I have friends who are big fans of Perfume and go to their concerts when they come to NYC. One of them is leading his band in a live performance of Perfume tunes two weeks from now. The closest I've gotten was watching the Perfume documentary, WE ARE PERFUME: WORLD TOUR 3RD DOCUMENT, on the plane to Japan last year. I liked the film and I liked the three members but I'm just not a big fan of that particular style of music. Momoiro Clover came to NYC last year and I went to that concert, but I don't actually follow them. As for Hikaru Utada, I like her and I have some of her CDs, but I don't follow her closely.

Apologies to the rest of you, we now return you to the "Do you still buy CDs" discussion already in progress.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-22-17 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

When I buy CDs I usually transfer them to iTunes and listen to them that way, but since the titles are all in Japanese, I don't always know which albums are which. The iTunes account is only on my desktop which is in the living room. I really need another portable CD player so I can listen to them when working in the bedroom. Do they even make those anymore?
I rip everything to iTunes and then every few days I load up my iPad with a different assortment/playlists and use that for my jukebox. Works beautifully.

Because my iPad is doing triple duty as far as being a comic book archive and a vid display for watching mp4 rips of old TV shows, I don't have the space to fully max out music as much as I'd like, but I can still fit about 15-20 albums (in ALAC) along with about 10 hours of TV content with the space left (it's a 64gb iPad 2).

My dream right now is to get a higher capacity iPad- either a 126gb or 256gb- and just have that dedicated to audio and video content. With 60+gb allocated solely to music, I'd be set for weeks/months at a time.
Old 04-23-17, 09:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My quandary is that some albums, like Pink Floyd's The Wall, for instance, segue all or certain songs together. When they're broken up into individual tracks, they start and end weirdly, and if I'm listening to the entire album sequentially, there are annoying pauses between the tracks that disrupt the intended flow of the music.

My 2017 Acura TL adds gaps in between each separate track which drives me batty - "Abbey Road" near the end which merges three songs together / as well as the dozens of dance DJ 'mix' albums I own - I though did discover yesterday that after the car's HDD system ingests/copies the CD if I take out the CD, put it back in , the gaps disappear (wtf?)
Old 04-23-17, 09:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I still buy CDs.

Storage is a pain but the albums I buy tend to be albums that work best as a whole rather than a collection of songs, and more often than not, it's WAY cheaper than buying digitally, iTunes or whatever, and that's to say nothing of sound quality. I still have a CD player in my car (along with a USB port) so I can play whatever I want too.

I get why people don't want the physical items and would just rather stream everything through their devices, and it is tempting, but that shit just devalues the music to me, and I prefer CDs and vinyl, because I actually like my music and prefer it presented to me in the best manner possible, even if storing it might be a pain.
Tell me about it - I've found some plastic slips online that hold the CD, the booklet AND the back cover - being able to chuck the jewel case has been a godsend
Old 05-17-17, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I don't.
Old 05-20-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm a bit surprised jewel cases are still around- though I don't ever change the packaging my media comes in, I've always hated jewel cases since they BREAK so damn easily! You could drop one on a soft carpet and it'll likely break! (My oldest CD, Madonna's Like a Virgin bought in 1985, had its jewel case broken during its first year though I was able to glue that one back together and it's held since then.) The record labels were even trying to get rid of them as soon as 1985 since they cost a bit to make; Warner put out Prince's Around the World in a Day and Motley Crue's Theater of Pain in cardboard sleeves resembling small LP covers, with a longer folding cardboard piece around them to match the longboxes they were using for jewel cases. (I've kept all my longboxes too! ) Jewel cases made CDs seem more special when they were brand-new, but right now I wouldn't mind if they went to LP-style sleeves (the size of a CD, of course.)
Old 05-20-17, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'm a bit surprised jewel cases are still around- though I don't ever change the packaging my media comes in, I've always hated jewel cases since they BREAK so damn easily! You could drop one on a soft carpet and it'll likely break! (My oldest CD, Madonna's Like a Virgin bought in 1985, had its jewel case broken during its first year though I was able to glue that one back together and it's held since then.) The record labels were even trying to get rid of them as soon as 1985 since they cost a bit to make; Warner put out Prince's Around the World in a Day and Motley Crue's Theater of Pain in cardboard sleeves resembling small LP covers, with a longer folding cardboard piece around them to match the longboxes they were using for jewel cases. (I've kept all my longboxes too! ) Jewel cases made CDs seem more special when they were brand-new, but right now I wouldn't mind if they went to LP-style sleeves (the size of a CD, of course.)
But jewel-cases are easier to replace than the paper/digi-pack type cases. If a jewel case breaks, you can easily pop out the paper inserts into a new jewel case. But if the sleeve tears or the hub on those dig-packs break, you're kinda screwed. Though admittedly, that doesn't happen as often.
Old 05-21-17, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Most major labels have dropped jewel cases for new releases. Virtually every new Pop/Rock album on CD comes in a digipak or mini-LP sleeve these days.

The only exception seems to be legacy acts, which tend to have much older fans.
Old 05-21-17, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

I still won't pay for downloads. I've had 4 different computers crap out on me over the last 15 years. I like having my physical CD's there to either listen to or to rip to MP3's. I can do the digital thing or play a physical disc depending on what kind of player I have available to me.

I've bought 8 CD's so far this year, and I'm planning on buying several more. A replicated CD is the perfect long term storage media.
Old 05-21-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Agreed that CDs will last longer than most anyone reading this forum. I worry more about the availability of optical drives that can play them in 10-15 years.
Old 05-21-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never really made the transition to digital. I guess I just never saw the need--I have a CD player at home, in the car and at work, and that's where I am about 95% of the time I want to listen to music. And they sound great. I don't have anything against digital (I'm not really enough of an audiophile to notice major differences in quality), but it just seemed like a lot of work to make the transition, and I couldn't see a big benefit given the way I listen to music.

I've probably only bought 25 albums in the digital format, and most of those I've burned to CDs.
Old 05-21-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Agreed that CDs will last longer than most anyone reading this forum. I worry more about the availability of optical drives that can play them in 10-15 years.
Even with almost all of the dvd patents expiring over the next 10-15 years, the question is whether it is profitable enough to still be manufacturing cd/dvd computer drives.

These days a generic bog standard internal cd/dvd computer drive is around $20 a pop or less. How much profit is there in such a $20 drive?
Old 05-22-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still buy CD's when I like the album enough to warrant a purchase. Admittedly it happens far less often than it used to given my taste in music.

And the vast majority new releases still come in jewel cases. I was checking them out at two different B&M's this weekend. And unlike 10 years ago, I walked out of both stores without buying a single title. Personally I too like well done jewel cases better than digipaks. SO many digipaks don't come with booklets and they are produced so cheaply they wear very, very quickly.
Old 05-22-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Spotify has properly replaced my interest in owning CD's. I started using Amazon's player, but was disappointed by the selection. But Spotify seems to have everything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.