Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

METALLICA: "HARDWIRED…TO SELF-DESTRUCT" 2CD/3CD Deluxe 11/18/16

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

METALLICA: "HARDWIRED…TO SELF-DESTRUCT" 2CD/3CD Deluxe 11/18/16

Old 08-19-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: METALLICA: "HARDWIRED…TO SELF-DESTRUCT" 2CD/3CD Deluxe 11/18/16

Originally Posted by Gunde
Why would you completely deflate the kick drum like that!?

For contrast, go listen to the sound quality and playing on the new Megadeth.
Well for one, there's actually a competent and dynamic drummer playing on the Megadeth record.

Maybe the weak sound comes from Lars not being able to lay into it as much. Or they just EQ'd it for shit again. If you notice, the attack of the kick is almost as loud as anything else, including the vocals. That's not a good thing.
Old 08-19-16, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Geez, lotta haters up in here.

I'm digging the shit out of this. Simple, thrashy, vocals are solid, Lars' drums sound like Lars' drums. I'm stoked on this and for the album.
If by solid, you mean a solid turd, then I agree. Everything from St. Anger on is just cringeworthy. Bob Rock should have never convinced him that he can actually sing.
Old 08-19-16, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think they're solid for what James is currently capable of singing. Obviously a far cry from old school James but I have no problem with what he's doing now.

Honestly, I'm just a big Metallica fan and I'm glad they're making new music I enjoy. Seems like people love to hate on them now more than ever.
Old 08-19-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Seems like people love to hate on them now more than ever.
Naw. It's been that way for the past 25 years. Same old bitching, new day.
Old 08-19-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like people love to hate on them now more than ever.
You don't see any of that as being legit? I'm a huge fan too, and despite buying all the studio CD's anyway, I can admit that it's very hard to enjoy albums like St. Anger. Part of it having to do with the poor production choices.

I just look at the bright side. I was able to score St. Anger (and all other CD's after Justice) real cheap.
Old 08-19-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
The thing with Metallica is that they obviously grew out of metal a long time ago. Megadeth didn't, Anthrax didn't, Slayer didn't, but Metallica did. It happens. The problem with that is, the Metallica brand is metal. So they probably feel somewhat obligated to honor the Metallica brand for financial and fan base reasons. My favourite music the band has made in the past 20 years has been some of the b sides that were featured in the Some Kind of Monster doc while they were recording St Anger. It was so different from anything they had ever done. I think if they followed the muse and just forgot about what Metallica is "supposed" to be, they could make some really great music. That said, I actually dig this song and I dug Death Magnetic, but their first 5 albums still stand pretty tall compared to everything else they've ever done. I mean they could live to 150 and they'll never recapture their early sound.
No they won't but it's not for the reason you described. I think Metallica died along with Cliff Burton on that road in Sweden. No artist survives a trauma like that unchanged. I know it's an odd comparison, but look at how Gloria Estefan changed following her near-fatal bus accident. No more tight clothes and songs like "Bad Boys," she wore evening gowns and sang in Spanish.

I also remember how significantly Bloom County changed after Breathed's 1987 near-fatal ultra-light plane crash. All the manic energy left the strip.

Even Rush changed following the deaths of Neil's wife and daughter. His lyrics became more personal, and more angry in places. It had none of the detachment of prior albums.

And aside from the trauma of Cliff dying (and James finding his body), the band was given zero time to deal with it. They got no grief counseling. They were ordered to start auditions to replace Cliff the day after his funeral. Newstead has talked about the foul mood the band was in and how cold they were to people auditioning. Six week's after Cliff's death, Newstead was in and they were back on the road. Six weeks after Cliff's death they should have been getting therapy.

I'll always be a little sympathetic to Metallica for the loss and the callous way their label and management treated them. to me, a lot of the dysfunction we saw in SKoM was all that untreated trauma coming to a boiling point.

Metallica didn't lose it the most, anyway. In Flames went downhill far worse and their fans are way more upset.
Old 08-20-16, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

4 vids https://metallica.com/media/videos/b...-self-destruct

The first one
Old 08-21-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I find the album, and single, artwork amusing and somewhat cool. Not really sure how it ties in with the music yet. Most of Metallica's artwork has seemed like a good extension of the musical direction.

I like the song, aside from some minor nitpicking. The lyrics are kind of weak, and I wish the solo was a bit longer, otherwise it's pretty rocking. Production-wise, anything after St. Anger and Death Magnetic is a breath of fresh air.

I've been a fan of all versions of Metallica over the years, aside from St. Anger. Even the most hated albums had some excellent songs. Maybe not what I would call excellent Metallica songs, but quite good on their own merit. Looking forward to the new album, and hopefully a tour that stops by locally.
Old 08-21-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Hardwired is a decent song. The vocal melody/phrasing isn't great, but it isn't bad. Musically, it's solid, straightforward uptempo near thrash stuff.

Death Magnetic was very good. A worthy follow up to ...And Justice For All.

Will this one be as good? We'll see...
Old 08-22-16, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HZan1NsiAYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2:00-2:07 new song (solo)
2:08-2:16 new song w/ lyrics

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VjcDHVg-u-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FUCK I WANT THE ALBUM NOW!!!
Old 08-23-16, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Kirk Hammett is honestly getting worse with every release. Bad solo in this new song.
Old 08-23-16, 08:34 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I've found their song on Spotify leading off their New Metal Tracks playlist. It's growing on me.
https://open.spotify.com/user/spotif...UecnpWkHCMRlri
Old 08-29-16, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IDA3gcLhLb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-30-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

What a prick.
Old 08-31-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Traxan
I think Metallica died along with Cliff Burton on that road in Sweden.
Agreed. And like you, I don't really blame the band. Obviously, they exploded in popularity post Cliff so they must be doing something right.

However, they have never gotten close to the energy and hunger of KEA/RTL/MOP. I actually like almost all of ...AJFA and really enjoy parts of the black album (and not much since then). Still, they're kinda shit compared to the timeless masterpieces of the first three.
Old 09-02-16, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

3-disc version, down to $15.33

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-02-16, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Kirk Hammett is honestly getting worse with every release. Bad solo in this new song.
Man I have to agree. He's gone downhill more than Lars.
Old 09-06-16, 09:35 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Gave this new track a listen and I must say, it's pretty awful.
Old 09-08-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Metallica played their 1983 debut, Kill 'Em All, in its entirety at 2013's Orion Festival, which drummer Lars Ulrich points to as the genesis of the "punky" sound of their first album since 2008's Death Magnetic. The double LP is the result of more than 1,500 ideas the band narrowed down at its California studio over the past year and a half. Thrashers include "Murder One" and "Now That We're Dead." "There's a lot of dark stuff about relationships," says Ulrich. "Not just with other people, but the hidden personalities within."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pi...struct-w438576
Old 09-09-16, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Agreed. And like you, I don't really blame the band. Obviously, they exploded in popularity post Cliff so they must be doing something right.

However, they have never gotten close to the energy and hunger of KEA/RTL/MOP. I actually like almost all of ...AJFA and really enjoy parts of the black album (and not much since then). Still, they're kinda shit compared to the timeless masterpieces of the first three.
Are you one of those people who say that not only are the first 3 albums their only great albums, but also that the greatness of the first 3 albums was all due to the Dave Mustaine influence?
Old 09-12-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chadm
Are you one of those people who say that not only are the first 3 albums their only great albums, but also that the greatness of the first 3 albums was all due to the Dave Mustaine influence?

(to others) oh BTW, "KILL EM ALL IS NOT A MASTERPIECE!"
Old 09-13-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Cliff having an influence on the first three is certainly valid, but I've never heard of anyone trying to say Mustaine was responsible for their greatness. That would be fucking stupid.

I can certainly hear Dave's influence on KEA but I don't even hear much of it on RTL.

Personally I've never held KEA in the same regard as RTL, MOP or AJFA. It's a cool record but when they say they're drawing on influences from playing those songs again that doesn't really get me excited. I just want them to do something inspired. Hopefully the first single isn't indicative of the whole new album.
Old 09-14-16, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Earlier this week, Jaxon of the 93.3 WMMR radio station in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania conducted an interview with METALLICA frontman James Hetfield. You can now listen to the chat using the audio player below. A few excerpts from the chat follow below (transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/met...JxZkTdqlagl.99

On the long gap between 2008's "Death Magnetic" album and the upcoming "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct", which will be released on November 18:

Hetfield: "I don't think we've ever taken a break. I think we have a little bit of a break, but time's not a big factor for us in METALLICA. We kind of do it on 'TALLICA time, and, you know, our plate is full pretty much all the time with different things. So it's not like we were torturing ourselves and others waiting for this. Just things happen within the band, other stuff's happening, we're doing tours, one-offs, and just stuff happens. And yeah, we do have home lives as well, and that obviously takes priority, but that's not the reason for it taking so long. We just take our time with stuff."

On whether the new single, "Hardwired", is indicative of what the new album sounds like:

Hetfield: "That was, actually… 'Hardwired' was the last song to be written, so it kind of is a summation, or summary, of a lot of the feel, lyrically and idea-wise, around the album, but that is definitely one of the shorter songs on the record. We've been known to have long songs, and there's a few of those on this record as well. There's a diverse feel, and that's what we love doing; we like doing fast, slow, medium and all in between."

On whether "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" is now officially done:

Hetfield: "Well, okay, you can call us perfectionists, if you want, and I will too. But there's always something. You know, 'Ah, this is a little too long-winded. Let's cut this out. Let's make this a little more potent.' You know, dude, we're craftsmen, and we wanna make this as sharp and as potent as possible. So all the way up to the last minute — even running order. So there's always something we're thinking about and trying to make it the best and most potent possible. So it is, by all means, done as far as songs go. So it's just artwork and little things here and there we're still working on."

On METALLICA's upcoming tour in support of "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct":

Hetfield: "Well, there's no doubt we're gonna be touring on this thing. I have no idea where we're gonna go, where we're gonna release this thing into people's ears live. I would love to play everywhere and anywhere possible, but, you know, in this day and age for us, we, again, want it to be as sharp and as potent as possible. So there's gonna be selective touring — you know, making sure that we're as healthy and then being able to deliver the goods on all cylinders everywhere. So there will be less, but smarter and more potent touring."

On "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" being a double record:

Hetfield: "Yeah, I told you, man — I told you the songs were… There's some long ones, and we've got twelve songs on there, so to make it sonically sound the best, that's what has to happen. We want it to sound great, so however it's gonna work, that's how it's gonna work."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/met...JxZkTdqlagl.99
Old 09-15-16, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"... fireworks and party cones..." and the release date of their next album after this one https://metallica.com/blog/news/4321...xe-sets-update (can't embed)

oh oh let the bitching begin...

HARDWIRED...TO SELF-DESTRUCT IS FINISHED!

Guess what?!? It’s DONE! We have put the finishing touches on our next album Hardwired…To Self-Destruct and are looking forward to the next phase of unleashing it to the world, waking the monster that is Metallica and hitting the road. As we were in the 11th hour of wrapping it up it dawned on us that we have never shared with you in any sort of cohesive “official” manner the extensive covers we have worked on since Death Magnetic. While digging into the bonus options to compliment the 12-song album with additional material, we realized that none of our versions of these songs from some of our favorite and most respected artists have been readily available on our very own Blackened Recordings. So with that said, we’re here to tell you about some changes we’ve made to the deluxe versions of Hardwired... in place of the previously announced “Riff Origins.”

The 2016 version of "Lords of Summer” from the studio in its full glory as originally promised is still included, but now we’ve added the “Ronnie Rising Medley,” originally only available only on the Ronnie James Dio – This Is Your Life tribute album, along with the Iron Maiden cover of “Remember Tomorrow” rounded out by Deep Purple’s “When A Blind Man Cries.” And by the way all of these tracks have been recently re-mastered for optimum 2016 sound quality. Just for fun (and because there was room!) the special set we did at Rasputin’s in Berkeley, CA on Record Store Day 2016 to celebrate the reissues of Kill ‘Em All and Ride The Lightning is here all re-mixed and mastered.

Lastly we had such an amazing time being a part of the first weekend of events ever held at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis last month. It was an honor and a thrill to test out “Hardwired” live there and we just had to commemorate the debut by including the recording from that night here.

Check out the updated tracklisting below.

Deluxe Edition (Digital Download & CD)

Disc One

Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Now That We’re Dead
Moth Into Flame
Dream No More
Halo On Fire

Disc Two
Confusion
ManUNkind
Here Comes Revenge
Am I Savage?
Murder One
Spit Out the Bone

Disc Three (Bonus)

Lords of Summer (2016)
Ronnie Rising Medley
When a Blind Man Cries
Remember Tomorrow
Helpless (Live at Rasputin Music)
Hit the Lights (Live at Rasputin Music)
The Four Horsemen (Live at Rasputin Music)
Ride the Lightning (Live at Rasputin Music)
Fade to Black (Live at Rasputin Music)
Jump in the Fire (Live at Rasputin Music)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (Live at Rasputin Music)
Creeping Death (Live at Rasputin Music)
Metal Militia (Live at Rasputin Music)
Hardwired (Live in Minneapolis)

Deluxe Box Set (3LP + 1CD)

Disc One Side A

Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Now That We’re Dead

Disc One Side B

Moth Into Flame
Am I Savage?
Halo On Fire

Disc Two Side C

Confusion
Dream No More
ManUNkind

Disc Two Side D

Here Comes Revenge
Murder One
Spit Out the Bone

Disc Three Side E (Bonus)

Lords of Summer (2016)

Disc Three Side F (Bonus)

Hardwired (Live in Minneapolis)

Bonus CD

Ronnie Rising Medley
When a Blind Man Cries
Remember Tomorrow
Helpless (Live at Rasputin Music)
Hit the Lights (Live at Rasputin Music)
The Four Horsemen (Live at Rasputin Music)
Ride the Lightning (Live at Rasputin Music)
Fade to Black (Live at Rasputin Music)
Jump in the Fire (Live at Rasputin Music)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (Live at Rasputin Music)
Creeping Death (Live at Rasputin Music)
Metal Militia (Live at Rasputin Music)
Old 09-18-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Sucks for people who preordered specifically for those riff demos. Personally, I prefer the new bonus disc over the riff one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.