Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Old 06-17-16, 09:03 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,513
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

This is the first time I've bought a concert ticket from someplace other than one of the major sellers like Ticketmaster or Live Nation, and I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced problems buying from a secondary seller.

A friend contacted me recently upset that she couldn't get a ticket for one of the shows for the upcoming Tragically Hip shows in Canada, so I got her a ticket through Vivid Seats, and after paying, they estimated my receiving the ticket from the seller just two days before the show.

Long story short, I actually got the PDF ticket in my email yesterday (thankfully well before the scheduled show next month), and it appears to be a legitimate Ticketmaster ticket for the show she wants to attend in Vancouver. I guess my only concern would be whether the person who originally put the ticket up for sale through Vivid Seats can still retain their copy of the ticket and try to use it themselves. It seems conceivable, since all they're doing is sending a PDF file which, technically, they still have a copy of. Vivid Seats supposedly has a 100% guarantee that covers getting ripped off, but you never know.

Also, the original buyer's name is on the ticket, but I've never known venues to actually check the name on the printed ticket when they scan you in to the show, so I wouldn't anticipate that being a problem for my friend.

So, any issues out there with selling sites like this?
Old 06-18-16, 12:46 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 749
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

i recently bought tickets from a second hand broker called goldstar.com, i bought them to see bob sagets stand-up show. box office prices were $75 a tickets, which i felt was ridiculously high for a stand-up show. the tickets on goldstar were $40 each and the seats we got were the absolute worst seats in the house, the were in the next to the very last row. the problem with these secondary brokers is that you have no choice of seats at all, and the seats they usually wind up with are the worst seats in the house. i bought my seats as soon as they went on sale hoping i would at least get fairly descent seats, not the case at all!!!
Old 06-18-16, 01:46 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 35,298
Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/t...git_or_a_scam/

Going through these reviews it's kinda hit or miss. Some complained that people were already in their seats with legit tickets. One person said ticketmaster wouldn't even talk to them because someone else's name was on the ticket. Hopefully they won't have any problems.
Old 06-18-16, 02:02 AM
  #4  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 24,271
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

I've heard that Vivid Seats is fairly safe.

I bought a secondary ticket for Deftones a few months back, but that was on StubHub. It had the original buyer's name on it, but I got in without a problem.

Your friend should be alright. If anything, I'd tell her to go in as early as possible. On the off-chance that the seller is trying to scam you/her, if she gets hers scanned first, and she's in the door, she should be fine.
Old 06-18-16, 05:14 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,513
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

^ That's exactly what I told her.
Old 06-18-16, 10:04 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 11,356
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Originally Posted by jgorow View Post
i recently bought tickets from a second hand broker called goldstar.com, i bought them to see bob sagets stand-up show. box office prices were $75 a tickets, which i felt was ridiculously high for a stand-up show. the tickets on goldstar were $40 each and the seats we got were the absolute worst seats in the house, the were in the next to the very last row. the problem with these secondary brokers is that you have no choice of seats at all, and the seats they usually wind up with are the worst seats in the house. i bought my seats as soon as they went on sale hoping i would at least get fairly descent seats, not the case at all!!!
That's not always the case. Many sites, such as StubHub, tell you exactly what section and row the tickets that you are buying are in. The only thing you don't get until you purchase are the exact seat numbers, which is to protect the seller.
Old 06-18-16, 10:14 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 11,356
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
https://disqus.com/home/discussion/t...git_or_a_scam/

Going through these reviews it's kinda hit or miss. Some complained that people were already in their seats with legit tickets. One person said ticketmaster wouldn't even talk to them because someone else's name was on the ticket. Hopefully they won't have any problems.
In some places, certain secondary markets are designated the official secondary market, and have an agreement with the stadium. For example, at Michigan Stadium, if someone has StubHub tickets and someone else has the original ticket, they have a way to validate the StubHub transaction, and if they find the transaction, then the people with the original tickets will be thrown out.

This is to prevent people from reselling on their tickets on StubHub and then trying use or re-sell the original tickets as well.

That's why if a venue has an official secondary market, I recommend using that, as you're protected that way.
Old 06-18-16, 11:54 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 33,377
Received 288 Likes on 241 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Yeah, StubHub is a trusted seller. I know a few people that have sold/bought tickets through them and the transactions have been flawless. I hear their APP is great. You take a picture of the ticket that you are selling and it digitizes the barcode and makes it so that the buyer gets their own version of the ticket while voiding out the seller's altogether. I have not used it myself, so I cannot verify.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-18-16 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-18-16, 12:21 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

I got a Stubhub gift certificate this last Christmas, and think I've bought 7 or 8 tickets to various Celtics and Red Sox games this year. No problems at all.
Old 06-18-16, 01:49 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 35,298
Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
In some places, certain secondary markets are designated the official secondary market, and have an agreement with the stadium. For example, at Michigan Stadium, if someone has StubHub tickets and someone else has the original ticket, they have a way to validate the StubHub transaction, and if they find the transaction, then the people with the original tickets will be thrown out.

This is to prevent people from reselling on their tickets on StubHub and then trying use or re-sell the original tickets as well.

That's why if a venue has an official secondary market, I recommend using that, as you're protected that way.
I tend not to use secondary markets but this is good info if I ever do.

Yeah, StubHub is pretty well-known as being legit. But I have never heard of Vivid Seats. They sound kinda porn-ish
Old 06-18-16, 02:13 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
DJLinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 8,844
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Some friends and I are planning on going to the Weezer show on Wednesday and finding a block of 4 good seats together via Live Nation was pretty pricey. So I bought tickets from a secondary seller for the first time ever on Thursday. TicketsNow is the place. They're a rewards affiliate of my USAA credit card, so I assume they are legit. Anyway, I found 4 box seats for a great price and jumped on those. (At this venue the box seats are season ticket holders and with those tickets you get VIP parking, a lounge area, and a different entrance.)

I haven't received the PDF yet, though it's only been one business day and the transaction details said it would take up to three. Now you guys have me paranoid.
Old 06-18-16, 04:05 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,513
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I tend not to use secondary markets but this is good info if I ever do.

Yeah, StubHub is pretty well-known as being legit. But I have never heard of Vivid Seats. They sound kinda porn-ish
What I didn't like about Vivid Seats (and unfortunately I found out about this after I bought the tickets) is that there's pretty much no way to get a hold of anyone in customer service on the phone. No matter what option you choose, they direct you to email them. They have a "live chat" option, but I sat there with the chat window open for an hour and nobody every connected.

But again, I got the PDF ticket pretty quickly (about a week after the tickets originally went on sale to the public), so as long as my friend doesn't get screwed over somehow, it will turn out to be not that bad an experience. If she does encounter a major problem and doesn't get to see the show for some reason, we'll see how good their "100% customer guarantee" is.
Old 06-18-16, 05:16 PM
  #13  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34,010
Likes: 0
Received 1,006 Likes on 682 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Originally Posted by jgorow View Post
i recently bought tickets from a second hand broker called goldstar.com, i bought them to see bob sagets stand-up show. box office prices were $75 a tickets, which i felt was ridiculously high for a stand-up show. the tickets on goldstar were $40 each and the seats we got were the absolute worst seats in the house, the were in the next to the very last row. the problem with these secondary brokers is that you have no choice of seats at all, and the seats they usually wind up with are the worst seats in the house. i bought my seats as soon as they went on sale hoping i would at least get fairly descent seats, not the case at all!!!

Goldstar isn't really a broker site. They sell tickets for events that aren't selling well for a discount. Like Groupon, Living Social, etc. That catch for it being cheap is you don't know where the seat is in advance. Another site similar to this is ScoreBig. You a name your price for certain sections, but you don't know exactly where until your offer is accepted.
Old 06-22-16, 08:42 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
DJLinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 8,844
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
Some friends and I are planning on going to the Weezer show on Wednesday and finding a block of 4 good seats together via Live Nation was pretty pricey. So I bought tickets from a secondary seller for the first time ever on Thursday. TicketsNow is the place. They're a rewards affiliate of my USAA credit card, so I assume they are legit. Anyway, I found 4 box seats for a great price and jumped on those. (At this venue the box seats are season ticket holders and with those tickets you get VIP parking, a lounge area, and a different entrance.)

I haven't received the PDF yet, though it's only been one business day and the transaction details said it would take up to three. Now you guys have me paranoid.
I was really worried when I saw that TicketsNow left a voicemail on Sunday afternoon. I promptly called them back and they just needed to confirm my mailing address. It turns out that since I got VIP tickets (with a parking pass), they couldn't be emailed. So they overnighted them via UPS and picked up the shipping fee. I got my tickets yesterday and am all set for tonight's show.

Looking at some TicketNow reviews online, there seem to be a lot of pissed off people. But it seems like a significant chunk of those either didn't read or understand the terms of the sale or nature of the site and are complaining about things clearly set out. My experience has been completely positive and I'm considering leaving a good review to counter the bad ones. Human nature has mad people complain more than happy people give a thumbs up, so it distorts the actual quality of the service or product. Or maybe I am just the rare happy TicketsNow customer.
Old 06-22-16, 08:52 AM
  #15  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,566
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Goldstar isn't really a broker site. They sell tickets for events that aren't selling well for a discount. Like Groupon, Living Social, etc. That catch for it being cheap is you don't know where the seat is in advance. Another site similar to this is ScoreBig. You a name your price for certain sections, but you don't know exactly where until your offer is accepted.
I've never NOT gotten a bad seat via Goldstar.
Old 06-22-16, 04:57 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 44,928
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Yeah, Goldstar is a little different because they're working with the event to dump tickets. I've used them a couple times and gotten OK tickets.

Used Stubhub once without issues.
Old 06-22-16, 10:16 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 35,298
Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
What I didn't like about Vivid Seats (and unfortunately I found out about this after I bought the tickets) is that there's pretty much no way to get a hold of anyone in customer service on the phone. No matter what option you choose, they direct you to email them. They have a "live chat" option, but I sat there with the chat window open for an hour and nobody every connected.

But again, I got the PDF ticket pretty quickly (about a week after the tickets originally went on sale to the public), so as long as my friend doesn't get screwed over somehow, it will turn out to be not that bad an experience. If she does encounter a major problem and doesn't get to see the show for some reason, we'll see how good their "100% customer guarantee" is.
When is the show? I'm curious how it works out for your friend.
Old 06-30-16, 10:52 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,750
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Yeah, StubHub is pretty well-known as being legit.
My favorite StubHub story: back in 2013, a dude wanted to go to a 76ers game. He found tickets selling for 4 each... so he said "fuck it" and bought an entire row of seats for 72. With delivery charges and service fees, the total ended up being $10.67.. still, 59 a ticket is nothing to sneeze at!
Old 06-30-16, 11:44 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 35,298
Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Anyone buy tickets from "secondary" selling sites? Any problems?

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
My favorite StubHub story: back in 2013, a dude wanted to go to a 76ers game. He found tickets selling for 4 each... so he said "fuck it" and bought an entire row of seats for 72. With delivery charges and service fees, the total ended up being $10.67.. still, 59 a ticket is nothing to sneeze at!
That's pretty awesome.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.