Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Glenn Frey Eagles Guitarist Dead At 67

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Glenn Frey Eagles Guitarist Dead At 67

Old 01-18-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Glenn Frey Eagles Guitarist Dead At 67

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
My second favorite Eagle. Really loved his Miami Vice era comeback as a solo artist. As somebody that heard most of the Eagles hits on the radio as a very young kid (because my parents listened to top 40 rock radio) I can say I've always loved the Eagles. I've never understood the widespread hate they receive. Usually extends to their solo material as well.
So did I. This is one of my favorite songs from the 80's. RIP Glenn.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j4ueaD22hg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-18-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 01-18-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Valeyard, I was managing to not cry until I got to that last post.
Old 01-18-16, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a huge Stones fan, I get more and more nervous each time another rocker dies. Ugggg....... This year has suuuuucked.
Old 01-18-16, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
My second favorite Eagle. Really loved his Miami Vice era comeback as a solo artist. As somebody that heard most of the Eagles hits on the radio as a very young kid (because my parents listened to top 40 rock radio) I can say I've always loved the Eagles. I've never understood the widespread hate they receive. Usually extends to their solo material as well.
Never heard of any widespread hate.

Anyway, knew he was ill when they couldn't make it to the Kennedy Honors but who knew how bad it was. I am really truly saddened. Loved The Eagles from back in the early 70's. I always considered "The Long Run" to be their masterpiece.
Old 01-18-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't believe that he went before Walsh.
Old 01-18-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 345 Posts

Daaaamn. Sad news for sure. Local radio has been playing mostly Eagles to celebrate Glenn's life. So much awesome music.

Rest in peace
Old 01-18-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
I can't believe that he went before Walsh.
Seeing Walsh play with Foo Fighters recently, I was surprised how good Joe actually looked - almost like he got younger or something.

Anyways, Walsh and Frey were the only Eagles members I didn't hate.

BTW, what the fuck is "complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia"?
Old 01-18-16, 08:14 PM

Received 4,553 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Everytime I hear about The Eagles... this is still my first thought...

But yea... what a crazy few months in losing some talented people.
Old 01-18-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

BTW, what the fuck is "complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia"?
Well, two of those are autoimmune conditions... and next to maybe cancer and chronic heart disease, auto-immune diseases will pretty much mess you more seriously than anything else. I guess pneumonia was just the topper.
Old 01-18-16, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Joe Walsh has looked pretty healthy recently. I'm surprised that Glenn went before Randy Meisner though.

If you want a good cry, listen to this song. It can probably be considered to be the last Eagles song since it's the last track on their last album. It's written and sung by Glenn. Definitely a farewell song of sorts. To me it was always about a dying parent speaking to his kids, or a band that is ending talking to its fans.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v3ytlsHhIQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-18-16, 08:49 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Sad to hear this. His 80s-era music is what came to my mind first as well. RIP
Old 01-18-16, 09:26 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Not a fan. I'll leave it at that.

But I will say that both my parents just turned 70 and it is a difficult age. The average lifespan is still less than 75. It seems you either don't make it, or you live to be 90. Every time I see my folks all they talk about is who died or who is nearly dead. My parents were the crest of the baby-boom. They were contemporaries of all these people. If they are feeling it hitting everyone they know, then brace yourselves. This is the tip of the iceberg.
Old 01-18-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Sudden. Sad. Natalie Cole, Bowie and now Glenn Frey. You suck 2016!
Old 01-18-16, 11:50 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
But I will say that both my parents just turned 70 and it is a difficult age. The average lifespan is still less than 75. It seems you either don't make it, or you live to be 90. Every time I see my folks all they talk about is who died or who is nearly dead. My parents were the crest of the baby-boom. They were contemporaries of all these people. If they are feeling it hitting everyone they know, then brace yourselves. This is the tip of the iceberg.
Yes, I know what you mean.

However, it's also important to note that the life expectancy really increased quite a bit in the 20th century. Hell, in 1910 the average life expectancy for an American male was only 47 years old - and that was just 100 years ago:

http://researchmaniacs.com/Forwarded/TheYear1910.html
Old 01-19-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Well, two of those are autoimmune conditions... and next to maybe cancer and chronic heart disease, auto-immune diseases will pretty much mess you more seriously than anything else. I guess pneumonia was just the topper.
When you're sick in bed and not moving, your lungs can fill with fluid, especially if you get an upper respiratory illness like a cold. That can lead to a pneumonia which is hard to kick if you're not ambulatory and strong enough to cough junk up. That's why it's the leading cause of infectious disease death in the US.
Old 01-19-16, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Joe Walsh has looked pretty healthy recently. I'm surprised that Glenn went before Randy Meisner though.

If you want a good cry, listen to this song. It can probably be considered to be the last Eagles song since it's the last track on their last album. It's written and sung by Glenn. Definitely a farewell song of sorts. To me it was always about a dying parent speaking to his kids, or a band that is ending talking to its fans.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v3ytlsHhIQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Great song!
Old 01-19-16, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
However, it's also important to note that the life expectancy really increased quite a bit in the 20th century. Hell, in 1910 the average life expectancy for an American male was only 47 years old - and that was just 100 years ago:

http://researchmaniacs.com/Forwarded/TheYear1910.html
That's mostly due to such a high infant mortality rate and childhood diseases like polio, which brought that average way down. Once kids grew up and were in the clear, average life span was way higher than 47.
Old 01-19-16, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I've had "New Kid in Town" in my head since I heard about Glenn's passing this morning. RIP Glenn Frey.
Old 01-19-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

GLENN FREY'S LAST MOMENTS

Glenn: I feel so cold.
Family member: But, Glenn, the heat is on.
Glenn: Ha!
(dies with a smile on his face)

Last edited by The Infidel; 01-19-16 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Man.

I think this is gonna start happening more frequently with artists from that era. They are getting to be that age where it really isn't all that surprising.
It's really not. Heading toward age 62 this June and having always been healthy as a horse until last year, I can attest that hitting a certain age brings about additional risks. I've known marathon runners with almost no body fat who have had heart diseases, cancers, etc. despite never having any apparent bad health habits. A lot of it is hereditary.

Keep in mind what Frey said about his own self-inflicted health problems in 1998...he attributed them to his love of "burgers and beer and blow and broads."

It's actually more surprising to me to see people such as Keef and Walsh still upright. When you read the history of the 60's-70's excesses with trays of coke laid out backstage (demands specified in contract riders) & look at the number who never made it past 30 (along with other, younger guys who recently OD's), it's amazing that more celebrities don't go the route of Mickey Mantle, Philip Seymour Hoffman, etc. And, of all the entertainment professions, the music industry has to be at the top of the list for substance abuse and its related health issues.

Frey had gone on a fitness kick and tried to get & stay healthy in recent decades, but sometimes irreversible damage is done that eventually leads to deaths happening prematurely (given other factors).

On the other hand, not one of us is guaranteed that we'll be alive tomorrow. Stuff may be going on inside our bodies that nobody knows about (cheerful thought, ain't it?).
Old 01-19-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Man.

I think this is gonna start happening more frequently with artists from that era. They are getting to be that age where it really isn't all that surprising.
Originally Posted by creekdipper
It's really not. Heading toward age 62 this June and having always been healthy as a horse until last year, I can attest that hitting a certain age brings about additional risks. I've known marathon runners with almost no body fat who have had heart diseases, cancers, etc. despite never having any apparent bad health habits. A lot of it is hereditary.

Keep in mind what Frey said about his own self-inflicted health problems in 1998...he attributed them to his love of "burgers and beer and blow and broads."

It's actually more surprising to me to see people such as Keef and Walsh still upright. When you read the history of the 60's-70's excesses with trays of coke laid out backstage (demands specified in contract riders) & look at the number who never made it past 30 (along with other, younger guys who recently OD's), it's amazing that more celebrities don't go the route of Mickey Mantle, Philip Seymour Hoffman, etc. And, of all the entertainment professions, the music industry has to be at the top of the list for substance abuse and its related health issues.

Frey had gone on a fitness kick and tried to get & stay healthy in recent decades, but sometimes irreversible damage is done that eventually leads to deaths happening prematurely (given other factors).

On the other hand, not one of us is guaranteed that we'll be alive tomorrow. Stuff may be going on inside our bodies that nobody knows about (cheerful thought, ain't it?).
There's no escaping death. Is it?

I'm really sad about his death too.
Old 01-19-16, 01:13 PM
Banned

I've only met a handful of people who didn't like Eagles among hundreds who are big fans.

I'd say there are quite a few fans who divide along "era" lines...some really like the early folk-rock sound; others prefer the slick, later pop sound. I fall into the former category...while I like Tim Schmidt (especially his Poco work) and Walsh's James Gang & solo stuff, didn't care for much of the later stuff (particularly The Long Run, which I believe was greatly affected adversely by the drug use, personal animosities, huge egos, and paranoia at the time).

I liked some of Frey's solo stuff but preferred Henley's. A lot of both sound much more dated than their Eagles work, especially their early stuff.

I thought the Desperado album was their magnum opus...really miss Bernie Leadon & Randy Meisner (and, to some extent, Don Felder) from their later stuff. Henley & Frey started treating the rest of the band (including Walsh & Schmidt) as hired hands/glorified session musicians) and the two couldn't even get along with each other.

Highly recommend the "History of the Eagles" documentary. Very enlightening.

I'm sure Mojo Nixon retired "Don Henley Must Die" ("Don't let him get back together with Glenn Frey) from his setlist years ago after Eagles started reuniting for one of their 'farewell' tours, but now it's really a moot point.

My personal favorite Frey vocal: Tequila Sunrise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-YqUcD0LY

Last edited by creekdipper; 01-19-16 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Although I can barely stomach listening to Eagles these days (due to incessant repetition everywhere), I used to love their music and always admired them. Or at least I used to, until I watched that History of the Eagles documentary that came out a few years ago. Frey came across a serious, SERIOUS douchebag. Plus he wrote and recorded "The Heat Is On", which is the third worst song ever made.

Nonetheless, I admired the man's talent. And since I am also living with ulcerative colitis, I often wonder what the future holds in regards to treating this, Crohn's, and any and all inflammatory bowel (and auto-immune) diseases. It's a lot more than sudden, continuous trips to the bathroom and shitting blood. It can mess with your entire body. If your immune system is too strong, it will attack your colon mercilessly and cause any number of conditions, including fever, joint pain, fatigue, weakness, etc. Immuno-suppressants used to alleviate that condition will leave you susceptible to a host of other infections that the body won't be able to fight off as effectively as it normally can.

And all that combined with rheumatoid arthritis? I can't imagine the agony he must have been going through.

RIP Glenn Frey.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 01-19-16 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
And since I am also living with ulcerative colitis, I often wonder what the future holds in regards to treating this, Crohn's, and any and all inflammatory bowel (and auto-immune) diseases. It's a lot more than sudden, continuous trips to the bathroom and shitting blood. It can mess with your entire body. If your immune system is too strong, it will attack your colon mercilessly and cause any number of conditions, including fever, joint pain, fatigue, weakness, etc. Immuno-suppressants used to alleviate that condition will leave you susceptible to a host of other infections that the body won't be able to fight off as effectively as it normally can.

And all that combined with rheumatoid arthritis? I can't imagine the agony he must have been going through.
As someone who is also suffering from UC and Crohns this worries me a little too. And I only have a moderate amount of UC too. I'd be wary of immuno-suppressants. The last two times I've taken prendisone, it wrecked my dental health.

Anyway back to the topic, as someone who is a casual listener of the Eagles, I enjoyed a fair number of their songs. I always liked "The Long Run" for some reason.

RIP Glenn Frey

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.