Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

David Bowie -- "Blackstar" -- January 8, 2016 -- New Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

David Bowie -- "Blackstar" -- January 8, 2016 -- New Album

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: David Bowie -- "Blackstar" -- January 8, 2016 -- New Album

Originally Posted by Jippy
I listened to "Blackstar" this morning while dropping off my son at school. On the way home, I hear the second verse: "Something happened on the day he died/Spirit rose a meter then stepped aside". I started to cry and had to turn it off. I am surprised at how emotional this loss has made me. He was so much more than just a singer/songwriter/musician. A true artist with every fiber of his being, right up until the end.
Jesus, all of you with crying over celebrities you have never met. I liked Bowie, I liked Motorhead (big fan when I was younger) , but there is no way I would ever spend one second crying over the death of someone I didnt know. What do you guys do when you lose a family member?
Old 01-14-16, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
Jesus, all of you with crying over celebrities you have never met. I liked Bowie, I liked Motorhead (big fan when I was younger) , but there is no way I would ever spend one second crying over the death of someone I didnt know. What do you guys do when you lose a family member?
I'm not one to judge someone's emotional state, but I have to agree.
Old 01-14-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here. I remember being really sad and shocked on the day that Jim Henson and Sammy Davis, Jr. died, and several other famous people - but never have I shed a tear over it.

Ok, maybe watching Johnny Cash's Hurt video after his death, but that is a little different. Right?
Old 01-14-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Why criticize those who do cry? Everyone has different levels of emotions and how they express them. Anyone could get affected by a story or by a person, whom they never met, that moves them to tears. There is nothing wrong with not crying either.
Old 01-14-16, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't imagine that the emotions people are feeling has anything at all to do with "knowing" the person that brings that out in them.

It's about the effect that particular musician, actor, world leader, etc. had on you, whether it be now or at some time in your life.

That's most of what I'm hearing about Bowie, that he made people feel that you can be who you are in whatever way you want to be. There haven't always been examples of that for people to connect with.
Old 01-14-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think people are crying for the celebrity. I think they are crying for themselves. The celebrity brought memories, thoughts, philosophy, and events to their lives. Knowing Bowie can't bring us more, knowing how rare his genius is, will leave a hole.
Old 01-15-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Bowie stopped making music and faded into his 80's in obscurity and died of old age, I don't think it would be as emotional. When someone dies suddenly out the blue, 2 days after his album is released, and at what many perceive as a complete artistic resurgence, it's different. Add that to the complete icon status Bowie achieved and the place he had in the memories of us born in the 60's.
Old 01-17-16, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ & because he kept his life private. The only ones who knew he had cancer were his collaborators & family
Old 01-17-16, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very fitting that "Blackstar" is entering the Billboard 200 at #1, giving Bowie his first chart-topping album ever.

In fact, with "Best of Bowie" re-entering at #4 he's achieved another rare feat of having two albums in the top five at once.
Old 01-17-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

People have a very intimate relationship with their favorite musicians, very different from actors & sports celebrities, even family members. Especially an artist like Bowie. Who's music, lyrics, and persona really had a meaningful impact on people's lives.

So if I shed a little tear now when listening to Bowie, it's not only because a human being died. It's because I have a lifetime history with this guy. From picking up a scratched-to-shit copy of Young Americans at a flea market when I was 12, to last week.

And all those songs now have a twinge of finality about them. Something I can't really describe happens in the way you listen to music after the artist has passed. It's like it's finite now instead of an evolving thing.

By all accounts, Mr. Bowie was a very kind man. I didn't know him. But I still feel a loss.

Lemmy, I don't get though.
Old 01-18-16, 01:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Very fitting that "Blackstar" is entering the Billboard 200 at #1, giving Bowie his first chart-topping album ever.

In fact, with "Best of Bowie" re-entering at #4 he's achieved another rare feat of having two albums in the top five at once.
So sad that it took his death for him to have a #1 album. Also amazing that Let's Dance was never a #1.
Old 01-18-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Lemmy, I don't get though.
You don't think people had the same experiences with his music that you did with Bowie? That's a little presumptuous.
Old 01-18-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supermallet
So sad that it took his death for him to have a #1 album. Also amazing that Let's Dance was never a #1.
Well, here in the US, at least. He had plenty of #1 albums in the UK. That said, when you look back on the actual US chart numbers for his considerable quality output, it is truly amazing that many of his albums didn't chart higher in the US than they did. Here in the States, Bowie was, as one talk show host refered to him being, "a superstar, yet still a cult artist".
Old 01-18-16, 08:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I meant in the US. Not surprising that he had more success in his home country.
Old 01-19-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Glad to her Bowie has his first #1 US album.
Old 04-20-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Still loving this album.

That is all.
Old 05-04-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Blackstar: Album Cover for Latest David Bowie Album Forms Galactic Pattern in Sunlight, Fans Say
Fans have reported that the star on the LP's cover goes from white to a celestial design when exposed to sunlight. "Blackstar" was released Jan. 8, two days before David Bowie's death.
A fan discovered that when you leave the gatefold of the Blackstar project in sunlight, the all-black cover has a starlight design. The fan discovered the cover changed after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours. The star design only appears after being placed in sunlight. Exposing the cover to other lights, such as black lights or normal room lighting, doesn't reveal the hidden design.

What's really cool about the secret design is it doesn't last for too long. Just like the night time sky, the stars fade after a couple of hours.
So .... anyone try it yet?

Old 05-04-16, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...thread-93.html
Old 05-10-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

That's really cool. I don't have the vinyl, but it must have been a nice surprise.