Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Songs that should have been hits

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I searched but didn't find a thread with this subject matter. Apologies if one already exists. Anyway, a few days ago I happened to be listening to the radio (which I never do), and an infectious, euphonious song came on that sounded immediately familiar in the recesses of my memory, but I hadn't heard it in ages and didn't know its name.
I said to myself, "I bet this is Canadian", and sure enough, when I later Googled the lyrics it turned out to be "Innocence", a song by the obscure (as far as I am aware) 1980s Canuck band Harlequin. I think it was a minor hit up here back in the day, but it never made it in the States or elsewhere.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WW9r3YPm-QM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What are some songs you think should have rightfully been major hits based on good hooks, the Zeitgeist, whatever, but weren't?
Old 09-18-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Songs that should have been hits

In the one hit wonder category: "One Way Love" by a band called Bandit. Off an album called Partners in Crime (1979).
Also in 1979 The Tarney Spencer Group had a song called "No Time To Lose". Got FM play but never a single or hit.

As for known artists
Beatles and Stones have several well known songs that were never singles.
Elton John-Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, Gray Seal, All The Girls Love Alice
T Rex-both the TANX and SLIDER albums sound like one hit song after another. Zero singles (in the US anyway)
The first Red Rider album DON'T FIGHT IT has at least five songs that sound like hits
Eagles-Desperado, James Dean, 'Ol 55
Tom Petty's LONG AFTER DARK has several songs that sound like hits singles. Only hit song "You Got Lucky"
Steely Dan-Midnight Cruiser
Rod Stewart-Three Time Loser
Bob Seger-Rock 'n' Roll Never Forgets
The Derek and the Dominos album only had one hit, "Bell Bottom Blues". "Layla" is an album track. AM stations would play the song off the LP. "Badge" and "Let it Rain" were never hits for Clapton.
Steppenwolf-Faster Than The Speed of Life
CSN&Y-Carry On
Old 09-18-15, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

"Cocksucker Blues" by the Stones
Old 09-19-15, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

How "Crush" or "Halfway to Heaven" weren't hits from Blue Tears surprises me. I chalk it up to they were too hair metal in a time where the lovely grunge was making its presence. They would have released these 5 years sooner and probably been big.
Old 09-19-15, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Some songs become huge hits in some countries while practically never charting in others. It's pretty apparent some sort of social networking effect goes on for popular songs and that many songs need a little extra push (an influential music personality pushes it, plays in an ad, etc) to become a hit.
Old 09-19-15, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
In the one hit wonder category: "One Way Love" by a band called Bandit. Off an album called Partners in Crime (1979).
Also in 1979 The Tarney Spencer Group had a song called "No Time To Lose". Got FM play but never a single or hit.

As for known artists
Beatles and Stones have several well known songs that were never singles.
Elton John-Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, Gray Seal, All The Girls Love Alice
T Rex-both the TANX and SLIDER albums sound like one hit song after another. Zero singles (in the US anyway)
The first Red Rider album DON'T FIGHT IT has at least five songs that sound like hits
Eagles-Desperado, James Dean, 'Ol 55
Tom Petty's LONG AFTER DARK has several songs that sound like hits singles. Only hit song "You Got Lucky"
Steely Dan-Midnight Cruiser
Rod Stewart-Three Time Loser
Bob Seger-Rock 'n' Roll Never Forgets
The Derek and the Dominos album only had one hit, "Bell Bottom Blues". "Layla" is an album track. AM stations would play the song off the LP. "Badge" and "Let it Rain" were never hits for Clapton.
Steppenwolf-Faster Than The Speed of Life
CSN&Y-Carry On
No, I bought the single for my then girlfriend. And it was the long version.
Old 09-19-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
No, I bought the single for my then girlfriend. And it was the long version.
http://www.udiscovermusic.com/real-history-layla

Your right. The link is to a history of the single. First there was an edited single in 1971, then a long version single a year later. I remember reading something about AM stations playing the album. It may have been because the long version single wasn't available until a year and half after album.

I don't think "Magneto and Titanium Man" by Wings was ever a single or hit.
Old 09-19-15, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much all songs by ABBA that were hits worldwide but struggled in the US.
Old 09-19-15, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
How "Crush" or "Halfway to Heaven" weren't hits from Blue Tears surprises me. I chalk it up to they were too hair metal in a time where the lovely grunge was making its presence. They would have released these 5 years sooner and probably been big.

I would say they were more of a mix between Bon Jovi and Def Leppard. I'll add "True Romance" as a nice little ballad from their first album.

I agree with you that unfortunately for them along with some really great rock bands coming out in the early 90's, they never had the chance due to the grunge scene exploding.
Old 09-19-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
RW, you NAILED it with this answer! I love both of these songs! "One Way Love" was released as a single and peaked at #77 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart; "No Time to Lose" was originally released as a single in 1979 and hit #84 on the Hot 100 chart, then was rereleased in 1981 and got all the way up to...#74.

Speaking of 1979, I'd also add these from that year to your short list:

"Run Home Girl" by Sad Cafe (it only managed to get to #71 on the Billboard chart)
"Chip Away the Stone" by Aerosmith (peak position: #77)
"Our Love is Insane" by Desmond Child & Rouge (peak postion: #51)
"Church" by Bob Welch (peak position: #73)
Old 09-19-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Meat Hook Sodomy by Cannibal Corpse
Old 09-19-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fx0RwOn3dQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Never heard this until getting it on a new wave compilation CD a few years ago- this should've been HUGE.
Old 09-20-15, 03:23 PM
Banned

"Thin Line" by Jurassic 5.
Old 09-20-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one was left off The Unforgettable Fire, and I think it's one of their best ever---not only should it have been on the album, it could have been the first single, IMO:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kHtTZWenNlU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-21-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When the Top Gun soundtrack was at the top of the charts the summer of 86 I always thought "Mighty Wings" by Cheap Trick would have been a hit but it was not.
Old 09-21-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

That song was a LOT better than stupid "Danger Zone".