Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What streaming music service do you use/prefer?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Where do you stream your music?
Spotify
48.68%
Apple Music
13.16%
Google Play Music
5.26%
Rdio
2.63%
Tidal
1.32%
Pandora
14.47%
Deezer
1.32%
Xbox Music
2.63%
Other (Please post what you use)
14.47%
I buy my music like a real fan should!
22.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

What streaming music service do you use/prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 07:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Re: What streaming music service do you use/prefer?

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Spotify has announced a new feature: A "Discover Weekly" playlist that examines what you've listened to and what users with similar profiles have listened to and gives you suggestions of music you might like. I checked it out this morning and I'd say it's about 65% music I already know well or own outright, and 35% music I haven't heard or haven't heard of.
Where did you find your Discover Weekly playlist? I don't appear to have one (yet), but I have no idea where to look.
Old 07-23-15, 07:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Browse->Discover and it was under "Top Recommendations for You".

Meanwhile, the desktop Mac app continues to suck balls for Spotify, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to stop all Spotify apps from defaulting to "random" when I play an album. And no, I'm not clicking the big "shuffle play" button.
Old 07-23-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I can't for the life of me figure out how to stop all Spotify apps from defaulting to "random" when I play an album. And no, I'm not clicking the big "shuffle play" button.
Play any song from Spotify. Then click on the bar at very bottom that shows the song title playing. This will bring up the album art & controls. To the left of the play/skip buttons you should see the shuffle control highlighted in green. Simply click off so it turns gray & this will play all your albums in order (not just the only you're playing at the moment). This remains the default unless you do hit that big shuffle button.

I have no idea why Spotify made shuffle the default & this so difficult to find. This drove me crazy for a long time before I figured it out.
Old 07-23-15, 08:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do that, but it still defaults back to shuffle from time to time. Shuffle is something that should only come up if you deliberately choose it. It should never be default for premium memberships.
Old 07-24-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm still digging Apple Music. I was able to get my bands albums on there as well, so now i'm ready to start ranking in the fractions of a penny!
Old 08-08-15, 10:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

So the Discovery Weekly playlist in Spotify finally showed up for me. I've had two weeks worth (every time it updates, I try to save it to a local playlist, so I can go back to it if I want, and see how it changes each week), and I'm pretty impressed.
Supermallet said his was about 65% stuff he's heard and/or owned, and 35% he's either never heard, or never heard of.
My playlists have been roughly the opposite; about 30% that I've heard and/or own, and 70% that I've never heard or never heard of.

But what's important, and this is what gets me, is that it's all GOOD. I mean, there are maybe one or two tracks that I'll skip over, but otherwise, both of my Discover Weekly playlists thus far have been solid, and have specifically opened me up to a few bands I'd have never even considered. It's the kind of discovery that I've tried to achieve before, but kind of failed.

For instance, despite being very much an "album at a time" kind of listener, I don't really love when the recommendations are, "You've listened to BAND Y, check out this album by BAND Z!" Sometimes it works out, but most of the time, I'm just not convinced enough to even bother. Discover Weekly, on the other hand, has convinced me to flag new bands to listen to.

I'm not going to say it's the best thing to happen to streaming music, but it's definitely a pretty sweet feature. If you use Spotify at all, I think checking out your personalized Discover Weekly playlist is a no-brainer. It's not like it costs you anything.

If I have any single complaint about the feature, it's that it has included two tracks that are unplayable in my region (licensing reasons). Hopefully they can tune the algorithm to replace those tracks with others by the same bands that are available in my region.
Old 08-08-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Amazon Prime Music is the main one for me.

It does what I need and I already have Prime membership so no extra fees, which is a win-win.

As for ones I use in their "free" form: Spotify and Pandora. But I use them less and less now due to Amazon Prime Music.

I also signed up for the Google Play Music trial, but ended up canceling it because I didn't need 2 paid services for music.
Old 08-11-15, 10:11 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like Apple Music is kind of a failure. ""Only"" 11 million people said, "Yes, I will use this free service for 3 months." and I bet most of them will cancel after that trial period is over, or after they get billed for the 4th month after they accidentally forget to cancel the auto-renew.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/10/apple-music-subscribers/
"Dawson proposes several explanations for the measly 2% subscription rate: Slow iOS 8.4 adoption, lack of awareness, lack of interest, an off-putting sign up process."
http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.p...-million-subs/
"Don’t worry, music will never die. People will make it and the public will consume it. But the way things are going it’s gonna be a long time before the recorded music revenue pool skyrockets. And you can blame Spotify, but you’re better off blaming yourself.

What if they gave a party and no one came? What if the world’s most valuable corporation gave away music and no one cared?

Then you’d have the Apple Music story.

Watch for the crater on 10/1, or at least 11/1, after everybody signs off after finding out they were charged without their knowledge.

Then what?

Your move Taylor Swift and David Byrne."
Old 08-11-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I liked Tidal but canceled my paid subscription for it. Lack of a mobile shuffle option is pretty much atrocious, and other than the lossless streaming, curated Playlists I will rarely use, and "bonus" content I will never use, it offered nothing that I don't already get from Spotify.

I am using Amazon Prime Music more often though, as it is entirely integrated with my Echo.
Old 08-11-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Looks like Apple Music is kind of a failure. ""Only"" 11 million people said, "Yes, I will use this free service for 3 months." and I bet most of them will cancel after that trial period is over, or after they get billed for the 4th month after they accidentally forget to cancel the auto-renew.
I set up a notification on my phone to cancel the day before. And I will be doing just that. See no advantage of this over Spotify.
Old 08-11-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Still haven't gotten around to thinking about Apple Music, but yeah, when it said 11 million, the first thing I thought was "How many iphones are out there?" And yeah, 500 million. And that doesn't even count possible uses on ipad or desktop.
Old 08-11-15, 01:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar
I set up a notification on my phone to cancel the day before. And I will be doing just that. See no advantage of this over Spotify.
You can cancel the auto-renew at any time. I cancelled it on my wife's account about 5 minutes after I signed her up. Her trial is still active, but when the 3 months is up, she won't be paying.
Old 08-12-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like Apple Music enough to pay for it (which if you know how much of a cheapskate i am, it means i really like it).
Old 08-13-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Thanks for the posts about the Discovery Weekly posts. I had no idea about this feature as I don;t really delve into all the extras that Spotify offers like I should.

Did they ever finish that Spotify jogging app someone posted around here awhile back?
Old 08-13-15, 11:54 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ I think the running feature is on iPhones only, at least for now. It should be somewhere in the main menu when you open the Spotify app.
Old 08-13-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Okay. Thanks. I don't have an iphone. Maybe it will make its way to Android. I was interested in giving it a try.
Old 09-30-15, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Taylor Swift's catalog albums are now on Prime, which is interesting considering the Spotify dust-up. Feel free to spare us the jokes about how you now need to unsubscribe.
Old 09-30-15, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Taylor Swift's catalog albums are now on Prime, which is interesting considering the Spotify dust-up. Feel free to spare us the jokes about how you now need to unsubscribe.
Amazon's library got a huge increase yesterday with Amazon coming to an agreement with Universal Music Group
Old 09-30-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Yeah, I was happy with Prime Music before but now there's even tons more stuff available there, I love it! And considering I have an Echo, it's a no brainer that this is my preferred music streaming service.
Old 09-30-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went back to Google Play music which is pretty great. Terrific, fast app, good Chromecast integration (the volume keys on you phone work!) and good Android integration (search, interface voice commands etc).

I formerly used Rdio. Rdio's Android developers need to be fired and the Android App app needs to be taken off of the Play store. Infuriating, crash prone, buggy, useless, badly designed piece of shit. Seriously, how hard is is to make a streaming app that actually plays the song you want to hear? make a glorified browser and call it an app like everyone does. Rdio works great on iOS though, so I kept that for the wife and kids as they have good family plan options..

I subscribe to Prime, I should check out what they have...
Old 10-01-15, 09:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

So... Apple Music has been around for 3 months, so the trial period is essentially over. Did anyone keep their subscription?
Old 10-01-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan
So... Apple Music has been around for 3 months, so the trial period is essentially over. Did anyone keep their subscription?
yeah im keeping my subscription. Its worth it to me to not have to maintain two mp3 libraries (mine and my wifes). I like the Mixtape radio station, too.
Old 10-02-15, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radio and Spotify.
Old 10-05-15, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I'm still digging Apple Music. I was able to get my bands albums on there as well, so now i'm ready to start ranking in the fractions of a penny!
I had heard bad things, but I'm loving the free 3-month preview I got around the time the new Dr. Dre album dropped. I'm seriously considering keeping it.
Old 10-05-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan
Nope. Fuck Apple Music. The catalog was great, but the terrible UI alongside the issues I had (songs would keep skipping on both my iPad and iPhone while I was using cellular data) wasn't worth a paid subscription. While I'll keep my iTunes Match subscription, Apple Music and iTunes should've been separate apps. Period.

I moved back to Spotify Premium.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.