Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lesley Gore RIP

Old 02-16-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Lesley Gore RIP

https://www.yahoo.com/music/lesley-g...213894501.html

Singer-songwriter Lesley Gore, who scored a massive hit in 1963 with “It’s My Party,” died Monday. She was 68.

Gore’s partner of 33 years, Lois Sasson, told the Associated Press that she died of cancer at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan.

Gore was born in Brooklyn and raised in New Jersey. Producer Quincy Jones discovered her when she was a teenager, and she went on to sign with Mercury Records. Gore’s early records were some of Jones’ first big hits.

The singer broke out into the music scene in 1963 with “It’s My Party,” which raced to No. 1 on the charts, was nominated for a Grammy and sold more than one million copies. She followed that up with such hits as “That’s the Way Boys Are,” “She’s a Fool,” “Maybe I Know,” “Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows” and “You Don’t Own Me,” which sold more than one million copies as well and landed her a No. 2 spot on the charts.

Gore was nominated for an Oscar, along with her brother Michael, for co-writing “Out Here on My Own” from 1980’s “Fame.” Her other film work includes co-writing “My Secret Love” for Allison Anders’ 1996 film “Grace of My Heart.”

She also appeared on Broadway, having a role in “Smokey Joe’s Cafe” in the late ’90s.

Her most recent album came in 2005 with “Ever Since,” her first album in 30 years. Near the end of her life, Gore had been working on a stage adaptation of her life.

Gore is survived by Sasson, her brother and her mother, Ronnie.
Old 02-16-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Lesley Gore RIP

I was sad when I heard this. RIP
Old 02-16-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Damn. I loved me some Lesley Gore when I was a kid. I even once wrote a song in her style. I don't remember any of it, though.

I finally saw THE T.A.M.I. SHOW a couple years ago and she's got a great set in it (pic below). It's the highlight of the show for me--which is saying something when you've got James Brown, the Rolling Stones, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson and the Supremes up there also!

Old 02-16-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I learned Gore's name from the Fame soundtrack long before I knew she was a singer. I actually thought she was a dude because of that credit (no lesbian jokes please).
Old 02-17-15, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

New York Times obit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/17/ar...ef=todayspaper
Old 02-17-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

RIP Lesley.
Old 02-17-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

"You Don't Own Me" always seemed like a ballsy song for a woman to sing during its time. I love that song.

They also forgot to mention "Judy's Turn To Cry" which was a sequel song to "It's My Party." It's also pretty good in its own right and has to be one of the earliest true sequel pop songs. It got to #5 in the Hot 100.