Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Also, if you're going to a concert, wear ear plugs. There are some great ear plugs that reduce the volume without killing the dynamics of the sound, you can get them on Amazon.
Do you have any particular recommendations on ear plugs for shows?

I've been thinking about getting some, but there are a bunch out there and the reviews are all over the place.
Old 02-18-15, 09:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These guys do the trick nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...p_ob_title_hpc

It really sounds like someone just turned down the volume knob instead of cutting out 90% of the sound like normal foam earplugs do. I have a giant box of foam earplugs I use to cut out sounds while I sleep (I have a vibrating alarm clock for deaf people so the alarm isn't an issue), but they're terrible for concerts and shows.

The etymotic earplugs reduce the volume but keep most of the sound intact, and they've transformed how I experience concerts. Half the time when I went to shows, I'd eschew ear plugs because they simply cut out too much sound, it was almost like watching the band perform underwater. But these allow me to preserve my hearing while also preserving the dynamics of the show. They're a bit pricey (I can get 14 pairs of foam earplugs for the price of one pair of the etymotics), but totally worth it as they are reusable and if you go to a lot of shows, you'll get your money's worth.
Old 02-18-15, 09:58 PM
Banned by request

Also I'm 30 and could hear up to 17khz.
Old 02-18-15, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

These guys do the trick nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...p_ob_title_hpc

It really sounds like someone just turned down the volume knob instead of cutting out 90% of the sound like normal foam earplugs do. I have a giant box of foam earplugs I use to cut out sounds while I sleep (I have a vibrating alarm clock for deaf people so the alarm isn't an issue), but they're terrible for concerts and shows.

The etymotic earplugs reduce the volume but keep most of the sound intact, and they've transformed how I experience concerts. Half the time when I went to shows, I'd eschew ear plugs because they simply cut out too much sound, it was almost like watching the band perform underwater. But these allow me to preserve my hearing while also preserving the dynamics of the show. They're a bit pricey (I can get 14 pairs of foam earplugs for the price of one pair of the etymotics), but totally worth it as they are reusable and if you go to a lot of shows, you'll get your money's worth.
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!
Old 02-19-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Also, if you're going to a concert, wear ear plugs.
Point is that they shouldn't be that loud to begin with. I've been to smaller concerts though that were at a perfect level. Though I'd rather go deaf by sound from the band actually being there than from listening to their recordings, I still value my hearing too much. People say I play my stuff at home too loud also, but that's still nothing compared to some concerts, plus I haven't lost too much hearing!
Old 02-19-15, 04:48 PM
Banned by request

You said you saw Depeche Mode in 1988. That must have been an arena or stadium show. Those have to be loud in order to reach the entire audience.

As for smaller shows, they will vary in volume. When I see The Magnetic Fields, I don't need earplugs. When I see Sonic Youth, I need earplugs.
Old 02-20-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Why are they calling M4A lossy or compressed when it is Apple Lossless?
Old 02-20-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
Why are they calling M4A lossy or compressed when it is Apple Lossless?
Apple Lossless is ALAC...
Old 02-20-15, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

But it has the .m4a extension...
Old 02-20-15, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

The file extension is the container format. ALAC is the codec within that container. A container can have different codecs.
Old 02-20-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

You said you saw Depeche Mode in 1988. That must have been an arena or stadium show. Those have to be loud in order to reach the entire audience.

As for smaller shows, they will vary in volume. When I see The Magnetic Fields, I don't need earplugs. When I see Sonic Youth, I need earplugs.
When I saw George Clinton in a small venue a few years ago, the sound was so loud that it was making the cuffs of my jeans flap.
Old 02-22-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I use the same, and agree with everything mallet said.
Old 02-22-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Am I the only one frustrated that he wanted to show an example of how much sound was being lost, but he couldn't bother to feed the audio directly into the recording source, so all we got was a tinny recording of the tinny sound that was being lost???