Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Old 02-18-15, 09:11 PM
  #26  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,308
Received 298 Likes on 208 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Also, if you're going to a concert, wear ear plugs. There are some great ear plugs that reduce the volume without killing the dynamics of the sound, you can get them on Amazon.
Do you have any particular recommendations on ear plugs for shows?

I've been thinking about getting some, but there are a bunch out there and the reviews are all over the place.
Old 02-18-15, 09:55 PM
  #27  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

These guys do the trick nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...p_ob_title_hpc

It really sounds like someone just turned down the volume knob instead of cutting out 90% of the sound like normal foam earplugs do. I have a giant box of foam earplugs I use to cut out sounds while I sleep (I have a vibrating alarm clock for deaf people so the alarm isn't an issue), but they're terrible for concerts and shows.

The etymotic earplugs reduce the volume but keep most of the sound intact, and they've transformed how I experience concerts. Half the time when I went to shows, I'd eschew ear plugs because they simply cut out too much sound, it was almost like watching the band perform underwater. But these allow me to preserve my hearing while also preserving the dynamics of the show. They're a bit pricey (I can get 14 pairs of foam earplugs for the price of one pair of the etymotics), but totally worth it as they are reusable and if you go to a lot of shows, you'll get your money's worth.
Old 02-18-15, 09:58 PM
  #28  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Also I'm 30 and could hear up to 17khz.
Old 02-18-15, 10:31 PM
  #29  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,308
Received 298 Likes on 208 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
These guys do the trick nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...p_ob_title_hpc

It really sounds like someone just turned down the volume knob instead of cutting out 90% of the sound like normal foam earplugs do. I have a giant box of foam earplugs I use to cut out sounds while I sleep (I have a vibrating alarm clock for deaf people so the alarm isn't an issue), but they're terrible for concerts and shows.

The etymotic earplugs reduce the volume but keep most of the sound intact, and they've transformed how I experience concerts. Half the time when I went to shows, I'd eschew ear plugs because they simply cut out too much sound, it was almost like watching the band perform underwater. But these allow me to preserve my hearing while also preserving the dynamics of the show. They're a bit pricey (I can get 14 pairs of foam earplugs for the price of one pair of the etymotics), but totally worth it as they are reusable and if you go to a lot of shows, you'll get your money's worth.
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!
Old 02-19-15, 04:44 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 9,668
Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Also, if you're going to a concert, wear ear plugs.
Point is that they shouldn't be that loud to begin with. I've been to smaller concerts though that were at a perfect level. Though I'd rather go deaf by sound from the band actually being there than from listening to their recordings, I still value my hearing too much. People say I play my stuff at home too loud also, but that's still nothing compared to some concerts, plus I haven't lost too much hearing!
Old 02-19-15, 04:48 PM
  #31  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

You said you saw Depeche Mode in 1988. That must have been an arena or stadium show. Those have to be loud in order to reach the entire audience.

As for smaller shows, they will vary in volume. When I see The Magnetic Fields, I don't need earplugs. When I see Sonic Youth, I need earplugs.
Old 02-20-15, 07:50 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manch Vegas, NH
Posts: 8,589
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Why are they calling M4A lossy or compressed when it is Apple Lossless?
Old 02-20-15, 08:30 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,936
Received 443 Likes on 268 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Why are they calling M4A lossy or compressed when it is Apple Lossless?
Apple Lossless is ALAC...
Old 02-20-15, 09:09 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manch Vegas, NH
Posts: 8,589
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

But it has the .m4a extension...
Old 02-20-15, 09:15 PM
  #35  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,308
Received 298 Likes on 208 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

The file extension is the container format. ALAC is the codec within that container. A container can have different codecs.
Old 02-20-15, 09:45 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 27,421
Received 778 Likes on 510 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
You said you saw Depeche Mode in 1988. That must have been an arena or stadium show. Those have to be loud in order to reach the entire audience.

As for smaller shows, they will vary in volume. When I see The Magnetic Fields, I don't need earplugs. When I see Sonic Youth, I need earplugs.
When I saw George Clinton in a small venue a few years ago, the sound was so loud that it was making the cuffs of my jeans flap.
Old 02-22-15, 11:33 AM
  #37  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 14,243
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
These guys do the trick nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...p_ob_title_hpc

It really sounds like someone just turned down the volume knob instead of cutting out 90% of the sound like normal foam earplugs do. I have a giant box of foam earplugs I use to cut out sounds while I sleep (I have a vibrating alarm clock for deaf people so the alarm isn't an issue), but they're terrible for concerts and shows.

The etymotic earplugs reduce the volume but keep most of the sound intact, and they've transformed how I experience concerts. Half the time when I went to shows, I'd eschew ear plugs because they simply cut out too much sound, it was almost like watching the band perform underwater. But these allow me to preserve my hearing while also preserving the dynamics of the show. They're a bit pricey (I can get 14 pairs of foam earplugs for the price of one pair of the etymotics), but totally worth it as they are reusable and if you go to a lot of shows, you'll get your money's worth.
I use the same, and agree with everything mallet said.
Old 02-22-15, 06:01 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
fuzzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,178
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Audio: Uncompressed vs. Compressed

Am I the only one frustrated that he wanted to show an example of how much sound was being lost, but he couldn't bother to feed the audio directly into the recording source, so all we got was a tinny recording of the tinny sound that was being lost???

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.