Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I have a question about The Archies

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm an Archie comics fan, so I'm familiar with the band in the context of the comics, The Archie Show and the songs in real life.

But my question is, when the songs came out, did it get promoted as:

"Archie is the lead singer"
"Jughead is the drummer"
"Reggie is the bassist"
etc

sort of like how Gorillaz had fictional personas for all the players?

Or was it just branded as The Archies, they stuck the comic image on the singles and nobody cared about the random studio musicians?
Old 10-22-14, 11:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: I have a question about The Archies

Old 10-22-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So...does that confirm the last question in my original post? Let me talk to some people from that time period, bring 'em in Groucho.
Old 10-22-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I don't know the answer to the question, but it brought back memories of records on cereal boxes.

Old 10-22-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I'm an Archie comics fan, so I'm familiar with the band in the context of the comics, The Archie Show and the songs in real life.

"Jughead is the drummer"
"Reggie is the bassist"
etc

Or was it just branded as The Archies, they stuck the comic image on the singles and nobody cared about the random studio musicians?
The latter (bolded).
Old 10-22-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Ash. Now back to some more Bang Shang a Lang.
Old 10-22-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Sounds like Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators.
Old 10-22-14, 01:25 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

From the grundlepedia:

Fictional lineup

The Archies play a variety of contemporary popular music, consistent with the era in which the comic is drawn. They seem to have a preference for rock and roll, however.

Betty Cooper and Veronica Lodge later also joined the group. Every member sings vocals, with Jughead handling the bass voice on a few tracks. Though their singing voices were soft and appropriate for pop vocals, their speaking voices are much different. The roles the teens played in the fictional band were:

Archie: lead vocals / lead guitar
Reggie: bass guitar / backing vocals
Jughead: drums
Betty: tambourine / backing vocals
Veronica: organ /backing vocals
Hot Dog: mascot / conductor
YMMV, however. I watched the cartoon when it was originally aired and have no specific recollection of who 'played' what, but I was very young at the time.
Old 10-22-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

In the day there was a primetime show called Music Scene. Hosted by David Steinberg. Lot of really great acts appeared and actually played live. There was lip synching too in what could be called early videos(3 Dog Night lip synching "Mama Told Me Not To Come" while at a party). Another part of the show was a weekly countdown.
There is a DVD set of several consecutive episodes. During these episodes "Sugar Sugar" is the #1 song, week after week after week. Becomes a running joke on the show that they are trying to locate The Archies to get them to come on. In the final episode of the DVD set, "We finally found the Archies! And here they are doing their #1 hit!" Then they show a clip from the cartoon show of "Sugar Sugar" It's funny when you watch all episodes back to back.
Old 10-22-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Archie gang appeared on the first album cover. They appeared again on their Greatest Hit album. They stuck live teens on the second cover with a drawing of Archie on the back if I recall. Jingle Jangle had a picture of colorful plastic pieces on it and Sunshine just had a picture of a beach scene heavily tinted in yellow. Their last album, This is Love, had illustrations of active young couples.
They allowed the illusion that they were real, if one wanted to view it that way, without being obnoxious about it. Good old Ron Dante did the vocals.
Old 10-23-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I have that "Music Scene" DVD, they get to express their dislike for the song too- though there's a brilliant soul version done by some real performers on one episode. When they show the cartoon clip they say "They may appear a bit 2-dimensional, but so is the song."
Old 10-23-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast

"Jughead is the drummer"
"Reggie is the bassist"
etc

The latter part. As with a lot of "bubblegum" music from that era, people just liked the tunes, and didn't particularly care who wrote or performed them. Such was the case with The Archies. As a musical group, The Archies were the brainchild of Don Kirshner. After being fired as the Musical Coordinator from The Monkees - who wrested musical creative control of the group from him - Kirshner decided his next musical venture would be with a group he had complete creative control over. Since the "stars" of The Archies existed only in comics and animation cels, with the music done by studio musicians, there was nobody who could try and sieze control from him over the records issued under their name.