Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Thom Yorke releases new album "Tomorrow's Modern Boxes" via BitTorrent

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Download

Vinyl

from Pitchfork:

Thom Yorke has announced a new album, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes. In a letter co-authored with Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich, he explained why the album is being distributed via torrent service BitTorrent. Read it below:

Originally Posted by Thom & Nigel
As an experiment we are using a new version of BitTorrent to distribute a new Thom Yorke record.

The new Torrent files have a pay gate to access a bundle of files..

The files can be anything, but in this case is an 'album'.

It’s an experiment to see if the mechanics of the system are something that the general public can get its head around ...

If it works well it could be an effective way of handing some control of internet commerce back to people who are creating the work.

Enabling those people who make either music, video or any other kind of digital content to sell it themselves.

Bypassing the self elected gate-keepers.

If it works anyone can do this exactly as we have done.

The torrent mechanism does not require any server uploading or hosting costs or ‘cloud’ malarkey.

It's a self-contained embeddable shop front...

The network not only carries the traffic, it also hosts the file. The file is in the network.

Oh yes and it's called

Tomorrow's Modern Boxes.

Thom Yorke & Nigel Godrich

The audio and video for "Brain in a Bottle" are available for free download, while the full album costs $6.00.

Earlier this week, Yorke and Godrich shared a photo of a mysterious white record. Yorke also released a trove of Radiohead archival material, while mentioning that the band was in the studio—presumably, to record the follow up to 2011's King of Limbs.

This isn't the first Radiohead-related project to receive a surprise release with an unconventional format. The King of Limbs was announced with a week's notice as "the world's first newspaper album". 2007's In Rainbows was announced ten days ahead of release and allowed fans to choose their own price.

Yorke's last solo album was 2006's The Eraser. Last year, Yorke and Godrich's band Atoms for Peace released AMOK. Other artists who have released music via BitTorrent include Hundred Waters and Willis Earl Beal.

Tomorrow's Modern Boxes:

01 A Brain in a Bottle
02 Guess Again!
03 Interference
04 The Mother Lode
05 Truth Ray
06 There Is No Ice (For My Drink)
07 Pink Section
08 Nose Grows Some
Old 09-26-14, 10:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: Thom Yorke releases new album "Tomorrow's Modern Boxes" via BitTorrent

I don't get it. What's to stop someone from paying the $6, downloading it, then throwing the MP3s in a new package and putting them up on another torrent site for all to have for free?

Or are they forcing you to listen to the music only on your PC with some type of web player?
Old 09-26-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Mr. Norton won't even let me download the bittorrent application. Oh well, I am expecting 8 more tracks of Thom Yorke warbling over Atari game blips and blops.
Old 09-26-14, 12:15 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Mr. Norton won't even let me download the bittorrent application. Oh well, I am expecting 8 more tracks of Thom Yorke warbling over Atari game blips and blops.

This is 2014. At least acknowledge that his blips and blops are now sourced from TurboGrafx-16 games.
Old 09-26-14, 02:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

and yup. It's on all your favourite torrent sites now. Good work, Mr. Gnome Yorke.
Old 09-26-14, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I don't get it. What's to stop someone from paying the $6, downloading it, then throwing the MP3s in a new package and putting them up on another torrent site for all to have for free?

Or are they forcing you to listen to the music only on your PC with some type of web player?
It's just an experiment in distribution. Pretty much every album makes it to the pirate world. This just bypasses iTunes, Amazon, etc.. for the artist.

People who support the artist will pay, those that don't won't same as always.
Old 10-02-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They've reportedly sold over a million copies so far. That's gotta be, what, easily 5M in Yorke's pocket? Nuts.
Old 10-03-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

So is this album any good? I like Eraser a lot, but The King of Limbs was the first Radiohead album in a long time that I genuinely disliked...