Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Audiobooks Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Audiobooks Thread

Old 03-07-14, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The Audiobooks Thread

Saw a random deal of the day for an audiobook at Audible about bad ideas for 99 cents, bought it, have listened to about 40 minutes, and it is just about the most hilarious listen I've ever had. I was in the waiting room of the dealer getting my car's oil changed and I couldn't help from periodically chuckling out loud.

I had never been into audiobooks but now I'm interested because I can use them when I run and bike and just in the car I can get half an hour or more a day. What are some good audiobooks? About anything and everything, any genre or author or length.

I found my library has thousands of audiobooks and actually good ones.

Here's the one that I'm listening to:

http://www.amazon.com/Worst-Ideas-Ev...=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Just gut-bursting funny.
Old 03-07-14, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: The Audiobooks Thread

World War Z has an amazing audiobook. Henry Rollins, Mark Hamil, Rob Reiner, Martin Scorsese, and Simon Pegg are just some that lend their voice to the charecters of the story. They released an unabriged version about 6 months ago.
Old 03-07-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of my favorites are:

The Harry Potter Series. Jim Dale is an amazing narrator and you should buy anything he narrates.
Bossy pants
Adam Carolla's books (if you like him)
The Big Short, Liar's Poker, Money ball, The Blind Side, or pretty much anything by Michael Lewis
Undercover Economist
The Chronicles of Narnia (Patrick Stewart reads one of them).
Old 03-07-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 355 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Bossy pants
I was going to recommend Bossy Pants too. I only have a handful of audiobooks and it's the only one I've listened to till the end.
Old 03-07-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

I recently finished Mark Lewisohn's "Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years". Exhaustive doesn't even begin to describe it. The first of three volumes, it's nearly 44 hours long, and it only covers the years up to the end of 1962! If you're a Beatles fan, though, it's required reading/listening.

Before that I re-listened to Lawrence Block's "8 Million Ways To Die" and Volume 1 of "The Last Lion", a biography of William Churchill.

Currently listening to John Scalzi's "Old Man's War", which I'm very much enjoying, and after that I have Robert Evans's "The Kid Stays In The Picture" lined up.