Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bands you used to hate, then grew to love?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll start ...

Pantera
Type O Negative
VoiVod
Old 12-18-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Bands you used to hate, then grew to love?

Alice in Chains for me and I don't care if you tie me to a stake for saying this but....I think the new AIC is just as good as the old.
Old 12-18-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I can't think of one, likely because I hate very few bands. I still hate DMB, Alanis Morrisette, Phish, Eric Clapton, Colbie Caillat, Train, Paula Cole, Mumford & Sons, Barenaked Ladies and that fucking "Smooth" song by Santana with a bright, burning passion. Pearl Jam is close to being on my hate list. I don't see any of this changing any time soon.
Old 12-18-13, 10:20 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

When I was growing up, I didn't "get" why people love The Rolling Stones. Then when I was in middle school, I really liked their new single, "Love Is Strong," but that's pretty much it. Last year, I picked up the Hot Rocks 2-disc on the cheap and really, really like it. Weird path to come around on the Stones, I know, but that's how I got here.

I still don't "get" Aerosmith, though, sorry.
Old 12-18-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by story
I still don't "get" Aerosmith, though, sorry.
Get "Rocks" and "Toys in the Attic".
Old 12-18-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's to hate about Phish? They seem like a pleasant bunch with pretty innocuous music. Somewhat complex and interesting but not too serious. While not a big Phish listener, I always saw them as a decent band.

I absolutely cannot stand Bruce Springsteen and that has not changed in 35 years. His voice is so irritating, I have to immediately turn it off.
Old 12-18-13, 01:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bruce Springsteen
Yoko Ono
Bjork
Kiss
Old 12-18-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114
What's to hate about Phish? They seem like a pleasant bunch with pretty innocuous music. Somewhat complex and interesting but not too serious. While not a big Phish listener, I always saw them as a decent band.
Nice job trying to "phish" me into this conversation.

They're boring, they sound like a giant circle jerk, their "humor" isn't funny, the guy can't sing, they have never actually written a melody that anyone remembers, they're the type of band that people say "yeah, but they're great musicians" as if that explains everything. Their scene rips off everything that was bad about the Dead scene (hippy dippy trust funders, hacky-sack players, false community, stupid inside references, endless jammyness) without any of the upside (genuine danger, real lyrics / songs, bikers, groupie-shagging, practicing what they preach). 27 year old former kids from Marblehead Ma named Kyle who dropped out of Haverford a few years back love Phish and drive to Phish concerts in their lawyer dad's old 5 series with rubbing vaseline into their white boy dreads. I hate Kyle.
Old 12-18-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, your first few sentences speak to the band but then it devolves into hating their fans. I think a lot of their stuff is pretty interesting and memorable myself. I've never been to a Phish concert but I've seen the Grateful Dead three times.

It is pretty humorous though. The first time I ever heard Junta was with a guy in a sub-Ivy League school who had very rich parents. He spent his college career ruining his liver and dropping acid on a constant basis. But I separate "the scene" from the music.
Old 12-18-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Bruce Springsteen
Yoko Ono
Bjork
Kiss
My wife can't stand Bjork, especially the album "Homogenic" (which, unfortunately for her, happens to be my favorite).
I can totally understand why some folks don't like her, though.
Old 12-18-13, 03:22 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11

They're boring, they sound like a giant circle jerk, their "humor" isn't funny, the guy can't sing, they have never actually written a melody that anyone remembers, they're the type of band that people say "yeah, but they're great musicians" as if that explains everything. Their scene rips off everything that was bad about the Dead scene (hippy dippy trust funders, hacky-sack players, false community, stupid inside references, endless jammyness) without any of the upside (genuine danger, real lyrics / songs, bikers, groupie-shagging, practicing what they preach). 27 year old former kids from Marblehead Ma named Kyle who dropped out of Haverford a few years back love Phish and drive to Phish concerts in their lawyer dad's old 5 series with rubbing vaseline into their white boy dreads. I hate Kyle.
Are you talking about Phish or Dave Matthews Band?
Old 12-18-13, 03:29 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Both have fans that just are annoying that intensify my loathing for both bands.. Especially DMB....
Old 12-18-13, 03:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Pearl Jam is close to being on my hate list. I don't see any of this changing any time soon.
Well, if you do end up liking Pearl Jam expect to start liking Creed about sixth months later.
Old 12-18-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At the end of the day, does it really matter? No it does not. I will say that DMB fans are more visor-wearing suburban golf-playing dads and the like.
Old 12-18-13, 04:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My dentist loves DMB and it's always playing when I go in there. I swear, what he puts in my ears is far more painful than what he puts in my mouth.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
That's what she said!
Old 12-18-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

While I wouldn't say "love", I definitely like The Smiths way more than when they were big.

I think it's because back then, there was so much good punk rock out there, that when an alternative or college station would play The Smiths, it brought the show to a screeching halt. Now when today's alternative stations play a Smiths song, it's a welcome relief to the generic crap that passes as "alternative" nowadays. Either my tastes have matured, or most of today's music sucks. I haven't decided which.
Old 12-18-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Miles Davis.

I took a jazz appreciation class in college, and the professor was a huge Miles fan. At the time, I really didn't appreciate it, and got more out of the early blues artists she played. I remember thinking Bitches Brew in particular was awful.

Fast forward to the present, and my increasing interest in progressive rock led to reading about Miles' fusion period. Started listening to tracks from Agharta and Pangaea on YouTube. When I hit the Jack Johnson album, I was hooked. Why oh why didn't Mary Lou play this instead of Brew?

Now I'm going back and reevaluating a lot of stuff I've missed over the years. With the atrocious state of rock (especially metal) these days, it's nice to have decades worth of music that is essentially brand new to me
Old 12-18-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I thought he was talking about that guy... jeez, what was his name? Some long-forgotten '80s guy.
Old 12-18-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Well, if you do end up liking Pearl Jam expect to start liking Creed about sixth months later.
Pearl Jam and Creed are nowhere close to being on the same level at all. Pearl Jam is probably one of the greatest modern American bands if you ask me. Unless you're just jokingly drawing comparisons because Creed's lead singer sounds somewhat like Eddie Vedder.
Old 12-18-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-19-13, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are probably more examples in my life of bands I liked, but now can't stand. My sister used to play ABBA back when they were first popular in the 70's and I hated it. I like them quite a bit now.
Old 12-19-13, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm...my name is Kyle, and I work in Marblehead, MA.

(but I'm not from there, my Dad is not a lawyer, and I hate Phish)

Seriously, you have the best music rants. Your tirade about the neo folk/Americana bands in another thread was awesome as well.
Old 12-21-13, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Coldplay
Old 12-21-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Metallica. When i first started listening to metal everyone tried to shove them down my throat and of course as the rebellious teen I was I kept saying they were overhyped and not that great. Ends up I was very wrong. Seen them once in concert and about to see them again in a few months and can't be more pumped.
Old 12-23-13, 08:47 AM
Banned

Lawrence Welk.

I'm like the poster above who say there are probably more that I've gotten tired of. It's hard to say that there are any that have gone from Hate to Love status.

There are some bands that I didn't appreciate enough because I never had their albums & got into the deep cuts. Badfinger comes to mind.

I didn't care for Wings but like the greatest hits collection which culls a lot of the best stuff.

Some older groups that were more ignored rather than hated (Humble Pie, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac).

Never cared for John Mayall back in the day but enjoy him now. Never knew anything about Big Star (although I knew the Box Tops with young Alex) but absolutely love the first two albums (one of the best two-fer CD's ever).