Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lloyd Cole

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lloyd Cole

My friends and I had a big Lloyd Cole stint in the 80's. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions and then Lloyd's solo stuff for an album or two. I kind of lost track over the years even though it seems I have most of his later CDs which I probably listened to once or twice.

Anyway, for whatever reason, I ended up on his web site (http://www.lloydcole.com/weblog/) and it's quite hilarious particularly the FAQ section. (I guess I find it funny because it was always the ongoing joke about how Lloyd was always bumming out.)

Q - We are massive fans and have seen you live for over 20 years , we have tickets for upcoming dates at ******. Just wondered if you would like to come for a meal with my wife and I at ***** just up the hill, before your concert?

A - The reason I almost never answer this type of question is that there is no way to make this type of plan. Reasoning following -

1 / When on tour, I don't know if I'll be well, or if I'll be under the weather. Truth be told, I often arrive in your town, get lunch, do soundcheck and go to bed for a few hours. I'm just run down (last year was like that the whole of the Autumn). Other times I'm up for a game of darts, or a beer, I just don't know in advance how it's going to be.

2/ I don't eat dinner before singing, only lunch. It makes my stomach feel 'wrong' to eat too close to singing, not to mention the burping... I've only made one exception in the last 15 years and that was for the best Indian restaurant I've ever been to - Stoke, of all places.

3/ I'm not comfortable meeting strangers for dinner and I'm less comfortable when they know a whole lot about me and I know nothing about them. I'm not saying it never happens - met some great folk in Dallas one time, I recall... but again, it's not something I can schedule.

I hope you all understand that I really appreciate the offers, but it's really not something that makes a lot of sense.

Which leads to lunch. Often lunch is the only 'quality time' I have in my day when I'm on tour. Sure, I like to play, but I'm under pressure to deliver. At lunch I can stock up on sustinence and relax. I can't relax if I'm meeting people for the first time.

If you'd like to enrich my touring experience I'd love if you'd recommend restaurants in your town if I'm coming. I like pretty much all types of food.

Thanks again for all the offers.
His Facebook page is equally entertaining. https://www.facebook.com/Lloyd.Cole.1961

He's also an avid golfer. Read all about it.

Lloyd Cole's stuff is great though. Apparently, he has a much larger following in Europe (which isn't that big). For those of you not familiar, listen to Rattlesnakes.

Here's Lloyd (post Commotions) with Matthew Sweet and the late great Robert Quine.

Old 11-06-13, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lloyd Cole

I've been following him on Twitter for a couple of years. He's not afraid to post his thoughts. It's made me wonder sometimes if taking of the veil of mystery with a favorite artist is a good idea. While I adore his music (mainly his first 15 years), he said something negative about The Church once and it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Not a big deal, just got me thinking.
Old 11-06-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I've always liked his song, "Perfect Skin"
Old 11-07-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I've been following him on Twitter for a couple of years. He's not afraid to post his thoughts. It's made me wonder sometimes if taking of the veil of mystery with a favorite artist is a good idea. While I adore his music (mainly his first 15 years), he said something negative about The Church once and it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Not a big deal, just got me thinking.
That's what I took away from his website. Too much information.
Old 11-07-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
While I adore his music (mainly his first 15 years), he said something negative about The Church once and it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Not a big deal, just got me thinking.
so, what did he say?

anyhooo one of my favorite records of all time .....
Old 11-07-13, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by musick
so, what did he say?

anyhooo one of my favorite records of all time .....
A favorite of mine, as well.
Old 11-09-13, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
so, what did he say?
I really can't remember, but it was a snide comment a couple of years ago. Really surprised me. I'm not a musician and never really put much thought into how bands/musicians might be competitive and possibly have experience bumping into each other over the years. I've been reading a slew of music bios and found it funny that almost all the artists slag other peers.