Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Mega Concerts You've Been To (Non-Festival)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Mega Concerts You've Been To (Non-Festival)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Mega Concerts You've Been To (Non-Festival)

Originally Posted by CRM114
Even though it's a festival, I'm curious. where was that concert? Quite the eclectic lineup.
It was put on by Steve Wozniak who financed the thing and put up these "new technology" tents in addition to the music. This was in the fledgeling days of Apple obviously.
Old 11-01-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Ahh. The good 'ol days.
Sorry but I missed your performance. Passed out near the beer garden.
Old 11-01-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddie Money!

Sounds like a blast.
Old 11-01-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Summer Sanitarium '04:
Metallica
System of a Down
Kid Rock
Powerman 5000
Korn

Helluva bill. 65k people. Largest show I've ever been to. I was probably 20-30 rows(if there had been seats) from the stage. Damn fun.

Interesting show too. Hetfield broke his arm earlier in the day jet skiing or something so he was a no show. So Metallica closed out with the lead singers of the other bands filling in, as well as Newsted handling vocals on a handful of tunes.

Powerman 5000 was the most fun of the bunch. They put on a helluva show, which was a surprise.
Old 11-01-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I remember my older brother getting worked up about seeing Zeppelin in what was to be their 1980-81 American tour.
Tour dates were announced about a week before Bonham died. I lived in Kansas City and the dates were being announced over the radio. I listened in my car parked at work so I could immediately ask for time off to go. The date list was short, only about 12 shows and not in major markets. Cities like Albany(but not NYC), Hartford, etc. The closest to me, and only major market, was two nights in Chicago around Thanksgiving. That was my game plan.

There were so many of these stadium shows in the 70s that they all blur together to me. The cool thing was the general admission so front row was there for the asking. Some I can remember exact lineup to:

Edgar Winter Group/Savoy Brown/Jo Jo Gunne (1973)
Eric Clapton/Ross/Foghat (1974)
Three Dog Night/T. Rex (1973)
Doobie Bros./Marshall Tucker Band/Golden Earring (1974)
Fleetwood Mac/Heart/Kansas/REO Speedwagon/Head East (1976)
Eagles/Linda Ronstadt/Steve Miller Band (1977)
Bob Seeger/Foreigner/Uriah Heep/Head East (1978)
Journey/Doobie Bros./Kenny Loggins (1980)
The Round-Up(1981): ZZ Top/Molly Hatchet/38 Special/Blackfoot

The ones that run together in my head from the late 70s featured Frampton, Nugent, Kansas, REO, Cars, etc. I remember Frampton one was in '77 and the one with the Cars was '79.
Old 11-01-13, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

The very first concert I ever attended was in 1977; it was a free radio-sponsored (WRKO) show on the Esplanade in Boston. The lineup was Heart, Orleans, and Burton Cummings. They expected about 50k people, but it was a perfect spring day, and over 200,000 people showed up!

I was 14 at the time, and in went by myself (parents dropped me off at the train station), and had a blast! Still have pictures from it.
Old 11-02-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts

Maybe the OP would allow "festivals" since we are already going down that path. I like hearing about 75k+ shows of any kind...
Old 11-02-13, 12:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Maybe the OP would allow "festivals" since we are already going down that path. I like hearing about 75k+ shows of any kind...
I think we should too - I have some great UK music festival stories
Old 11-02-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Pink Floyd 1994 at what was at the time named Jack Murphy Stadium.
Not sure of attendance but I know Football is little over 70K so I imagine close to 75K for the show.
Old 11-02-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to Woodstock 99...

My last big concert was McCartney in Seattle, this past July, 60K+ people.
Old 11-03-13, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watkins Glen 1973, around 600,000, we did not really care for any of the bands ( Grateful Dead, The Band, Allman Brothers ) but went for the party. It was pretty intense. Also the way the cops and the locals got along with everyone was a big surprise. There was no food for miles at any store and the only drug in short supply was alcohol. The thunderstorm was great.
Old 11-04-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're certainly welcome to talk about festivals. My only point was that with these big shows, you are getting huge numbers to see a single band. Festivals tend to draw people that never heard of half the bands and no consensus on the so-called headliners. It was more a nostalgia thing about how it USED to be when bands were bigger than life and you could only read about them in a magazine or see them live. There was a mysteriousness.
Old 11-04-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Donington 1984 - AC/DC, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Gary Moore, Y&T, Motley Crue
Donington 1985 - ZZ Top, Marillion, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Ratt, Magnum
Donington 1987 - Bon Jovi, Dio, Metallica, Anthrax, Wasp, Cinderella
Donington 1988 - Iron Maiden, Kiss, David Lee Roth, Megadeth, Guns 'N Roses, Helloween
Donington 1991 - AC/DC, Metallica, Motley Crue, Queensryche, The Black Crowes

Some good memories. All one-day shows with no unknown bands.
Old 11-04-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though it's a festival, I'm curious. where was that concert? Quite the eclectic lineup.
San Bernardino. There was one in 1982 and 1983.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AWQKNxuGqg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-04-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phish - The Clifford Ball 1996

For my high school graduation present my mom and brother got us tickets to go to The Clifford Ball - Phish's first large show. Took a road trip from CO to NY for the show and it was an amazing time. It's hazy, but I think the attendance was 75k, which was the largest concert in North America at the time. Also, just Phish played, well and the clifford ball orchestra, but I still don't think it would count as a festival.
Old 11-04-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat
San Bernardino. There was one in 1982 and 1983.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AWQKNxuGqg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Would really like to see that whole thing, I subscribed to their FB page, it looks way overdue.

Also trying to track down that poster above. Found one, but it was sold.
Old 11-04-13, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Summer Sanitarium '04:
Metallica
System of a Down
Kid Rock
Powerman 5000
Korn

Helluva bill. 65k people. Largest show I've ever been to. I was probably 20-30 rows(if there had been seats) from the stage. Damn fun.

Interesting show too. Hetfield broke his arm earlier in the day jet skiing or something so he was a no show. So Metallica closed out with the lead singers of the other bands filling in, as well as Newsted handling vocals on a handful of tunes.

Powerman 5000 was the most fun of the bunch. They put on a helluva show, which was a surprise.
Was this in Atlanta at the Georgia Dome? If so, I think it was in the summer of 2000 because I was there also. Hetfield injured his back that day on a jet ski. The other bands played and then there was a long break before Lars came out and told everyone what was going on. Then it was just a mishmash of people playing Metallica songs with different singers.

I remember the acoustics being horrible.

Metallica ended up coming back and playing two shows at Lakewood for people who had bought tickets to Summer Sanitarium.
Old 11-04-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron_T
Was this in Atlanta at the Georgia Dome? If so, I think it was in the summer of 2000 because I was there also. Hetfield injured his back that day on a jet ski. The other bands played and then there was a long break before Lars came out and told everyone what was going on. Then it was just a mishmash of people playing Metallica songs with different singers.

I remember the acoustics being horrible.

Metallica ended up coming back and playing two shows at Lakewood for people who had bought tickets to Summer Sanitarium.
Wikipedia agrees with you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Sanitarium_Tour

The Summer Sanitarium Tour was Metallica's packaged tour in the Summer of the year 2000. Taking place in "stadiums, arenas, and yes, even speedways," the tour was one of the top grossing tours of the Summer. It was also the final tour for long-time bassist Jason Newsted who quit the band in January 2001. Before the gig in Atlanta James Hetfield injured his back in a jet skiing accident and was forced to sit out three shows. Newsted sang most of the songs during these concerts, and the vocals and rhythm guitar were also taken by musicians from the supporting acts, such as Kid Rock and his guitarists Kenny Olson and Jason Krause, Serj Tankian and Daron Malakian of System of a Down, and Jonathan Davis of Korn. At the end of the tour Metallica played six make up shows, two for each show James missed