Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Album By Album: Yes

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album By Album: Yes

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Album By Album: Yes

Close to the Edge is one of my favorite albums. The band just got so much right.

I'm still impressed by the gentle start of the title song. How often do songs start without first making sure the audience is paying attention? I like the arrogance of it.

I love Bill Bruford's bass. He gives the songs such a solid bottom. I think that Jon Anderson's stream-of-consciousness lyrics hold up well. A lot of lyrics that I thought were so cool when I was 17 are embarrassing now. But his nonsense phrases are just as interesting today.

This album is also pretty much the end of my enjoyment of Yes. I didn't like Tales from Topographic Oceans or Relayer, and I lost interest when they got into the Phil Collins style of pop-prog. There's a territory somewhere between overblown and too slight. The three albums covered in Yessongs were in that territory. Tales from Topographic Oceans was overblown, and Going for the One was too slight.