Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

'Broadway'/Musical Theater Album releases

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

'Broadway'/Musical Theater Album releases

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 03:20 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 'Broadway'/Musical Theater Album release 2013-14 thread

The Book or Mormon is on my list of shows to catch next time its on tour and hits Detroit.. hopefully it does in the near future.

Saw this posted on the show's facebook page. A fan animated the song "Hello" South Park style.. really well done.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sKIOqJns5N8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would love it if this lead M & T to actually animate the musical in its entirety and release it.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 06-17-14 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Seeing the show for the first time tomorrow night. Can't wait!
Old 06-17-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I picked up Violet but haven't listened to it yet. I was surprised to see it listed as a revival at the Tonys until I saw it was that Jeanine Tesori show from '97. I like Sutton Foster so I'll give it a listen.

I should probably get Bridges of Madison County too. I'm biased against the book, but I'm a Jason Robert Brown fan.
Old 06-17-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Anybody listen to the the original broadway cast recording of the Rocky Musicial?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oj3PGYCabmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_RUxgviTx1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 06-18-14, 11:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I picked up Violet but haven't listened to it yet. I was surprised to see it listed as a revival at the Tonys until I saw it was that Jeanine Tesori show from '97. I like Sutton Foster so I'll give it a listen.
it wasn't the same cast as on Broadway but 'Violet' played before it's NYC engagement here in DC at Ford's Theater - I hadn't heard the music before hand, but as I was watching it and the overall impression after seeing it, hit me for a loop - just fantastic!

~

this isn't about one the aforementioned musicals listed in this thread, but I just saw last weekend for the first time - Bat Boy - The Musical performed over at 1st Stage (in Tysons Corner, yes believe it or not there is a live theater performance space over there) and it was amazing - the lead and the father had such impressive singing ability and the whole cast on the whole gave it all they got. Wow - just wow. Other DC area critics have been raving about this production and I can see why
Old 07-09-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I loved Six by Sondheim, the HBO documentary. Great insights, and the new version of Opening Doors was a lot of fun.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/K5OI8xlM-a0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, I just noticed this was released last month. I loved the previous show Stritch did on DVD.

A ferocious, funny, and poignant portrait of the one-of-a-kind Broadway legend still belting out Sondheim numbers at age 87, this documentary tribute showcases the brash, uncompromising Tony and Emmy winner both onstage and off. The film captures her immeasurable charm, acerbic wit, and impressive accomplishments with candid footage and interviews with friends and collaborators, including Sondheim, Tina Fey, and Nathan Lane. Sparkling with Stritch s delightful character, this film is an inspiring portrait of an American treasure.
Old 07-24-14, 10:45 PM

a few new releases:

Forbidden Broadway

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Heathers

Love's Labour's Lost

A Second Chance

Last edited by Giles; 07-24-14 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 10:22 PM

this is more TV themed - but this is definitely Broadway related:

Live From Lincoln Center: 'Sweeney Todd' with Emma Thompson (PBS - Sept. 26)

Old 10-18-14, 07:32 PM

some new additions:

Forbidden Broadway: Comes Out Swinging

From Here to Eternity - Cast Recording:

Mighty Real: A Fabulous Sylvester Musical (Original Cast Recording)

forthcoming:

Venice - Cast Recording

more West End news than Broadway, but a new version of 'Miss Saigon' is coming out in November on CD - the new song 'Maybe' which replaces 'Now That I've Seen Her' (which premiered with the new song here in the DC area in 2013 at the Signature Theater - take that London ) didn't leave me impressed (but, you can decide for yourself).

Last edited by Giles; 10-18-14 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking forward to this coming out:

I like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Tucker
good pipes and a nice filthy Irish girl
Old 01-22-16, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just listened to the new American in Paris via Spotify. It's good, but I don't see a need to own it, as I already have so much Gershwin, and the Greatest Hits bit was already done by Crazy for You. Some different selections, sure, but pretty similar. I'm sure it was entertaining on stage, though.

Old 01-29-16, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts

The album's been out for a few months, but it's also worth noting that it's free on Amazon Prime. So good--saw it in Nov and have tickets again in September. I think I listen to it a little bit every day.

Old 02-01-16, 08:51 AM

^ awesome - thanks for the head's up. My sister just saw it this last past weekend, she loved it! Tix look near impossible to buy, guess I should plan on seeing this in the Fall
Old 02-02-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was wonderful. I had to be dragged there (I wanted to send my daughter and wait for her for 3 hours in a coffee shop while I read a book to save money, but she refused to go alone). Even though fall seems a long way off, watching for new releases from the venue is a good idea. If you do buy tickets, try to be up a bit, since there is a lot of creative lighting on the stage that you probably couldn't see as well from the orchestra.
Old 02-02-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I need to listen to Hamilton. While it doesn't seem as appealing to me as a traditional cast album, In the Heights was great.

I'm visiting NYC in April and got advance tickets to She Loves Me, but I was thinking about catching another show as well. I guess Hamilton is out!
Old 02-02-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the Hamilton soundtrack. Got my daughter tickets for an August show. I've have purchased tickets for myself, but didn't want to take out a second mortgage on the house...
Old 02-02-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tasha99
It was wonderful. I had to be dragged there (I wanted to send my daughter and wait for her for 3 hours in a coffee shop while I read a book to save money, but she refused to go alone). Even though fall seems a long way off, watching for new releases from the venue is a good idea. If you do buy tickets, try to be up a bit, since there is a lot of creative lighting on the stage that you probably couldn't see as well from the orchestra.
I'm reluctant to go in the fall because I have little interest in seeing it without Lin Manuel Miranda and Daveed Diggs who will surely move on at some point.

I will probably buy absurdly expensive tickets. I don't know where all of you are getting tickets!

Oh, and its all about Hercules Mulligan, bruh!
Old 02-02-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
I'm reluctant to go in the fall because I have little interest in seeing it without Lin Manuel Miranda and Daveed Diggs who will surely move on at some point.

I will probably buy absurdly expensive tickets. I don't know where all of you are getting tickets!

Oh, and its all about Hercules Mulligan, bruh!
I honestly think it could survive Lin Manuel Miranda moving on to write his next thing. Hope he doesn't do that before the fall, but if he does, the bright side will be something new in the works by him. As for him as Hamilton, he was the weakest cast member, imo. Losing Daveed Diggs would be far worse, because they'd have to find someone with his level of charisma who can sing really, really fast. For me at least, he and Leslie Odom Jr were the most essential cast members.

I got tickets for September because they released new ones direct from the venue. The cost for 4 in arguably the best seats in the house were less than half what I paid for me and my daughter way up in the back a few months ago. Crossing my fingers that most of the cast stays till at least then . . .
Old 02-02-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, Leslie Odom Jr and Daveed Diggs (and the dude who plays Hercules of course) are key. I just want to see Lin Manuel because he's Lin Manuel. Won't be the same without him. I'm not sure how long cast members will usually continue with the same show.

By the way, how were the seats in the back? Acceptable?
Old 02-02-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Yes, Leslie Odom Jr and Daveed Diggs (and the dude who plays Hercules of course) are key. I just want to see Lin Manuel because he's Lin Manuel. Won't be the same without him. I'm not sure how long cast members will usually continue with the same show.

By the way, how were the seats in the back? Acceptable?
We were wayyy in the back (second to last row) and they were okay. It was a pretty small theater. The worst thing about those seats is its two flights of stairs up, and the bathroom is in the basement. By the time I made it down there, you can imagine what the line was like.
Old 03-23-16, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I saw Hamilton a week and a half ago and it was phenomenal. I really want to see it again, but at this point it's hard to find tickets that don't require taking out a second mortgage. Easily my favorite musical (though, to be fair, the only one I've ever seen with an original Broadway cast).
Old 03-23-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jealous of the people who have seen Hamilton! Someday...

Originally Posted by davidh777
I need to listen to Hamilton. While it doesn't seem as appealing to me as a traditional cast album, In the Heights was great.

I'm visiting NYC in April and got advance tickets to She Loves Me, but I was thinking about catching another show as well. I guess Hamilton is out!
I just got tickets to Waitress, the new Sara Bareilles-written show. I considered Fun Home and Something Rotten as well, but figured those would hit Seattle sooner, plus my kid is a big Bareilles fan. The album is good so we're looking forward to it.
Old 03-23-16, 07:41 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

My girlfriend's been dying to see Hamilton, so she splurged and treated herself to an orchestra seat tonight. From what I've heard, some of the original cast are definitely eyeing to move on. Miranda will eventually have the Mary Poppins sequel gig too. So that was the extra push to go now. You won't find cheap or face value tickets until they announce new shows in 2017.

We're going to see American Psycho on Saturday. I also got discounted tickets to see She Loves Me in June before it ends. The cast in that is great.
Old 03-28-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
I also got discounted tickets to see She Loves Me in June before it ends. The cast in that is great.
I'm a big fan of She Loves Me and the original cast recording so I really wanted to make the trip to NYC for the revival. As it happens, a local theatre produced it for Christmas so my kids got to see it for the first time, and because they're HIMYM fans, it was fun that Josh Radnor was in the revival. It was disappointing that he left, but I'm looking forward to seeing Zachary Levi instead. I know he can sing, and the kids have watched a couple seasons of Chuck so there's still a connection there.
Old 03-28-16, 01:29 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Just saw American Psycho in previews over the weekend. I really like it a lot. Excellent production.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.