Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sick of sentimental, rootsy, earnest, sing-songy guys

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sick of sentimental, rootsy, earnest, sing-songy guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Sick of sentimental, rootsy, earnest, sing-songy guys

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Re: Dynamic range . . .

Back in the 1980s, I was told that music was mixed so it sounded best on a 4x6 car stereo speaker. That was where people heard it. I suppose that music is now mixed so it sounds best on ear buds.

(I'm glad that young people can still get old people to hate their music.)
I meant dynamics of the music not the sound. This folky crap is like listening to a flatline.
Old 03-20-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Listening to Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus on Spotify. That's some folky shit that kicks major ass.
Old 03-21-13, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I just bought Collection I and Collection II of The Misfits on vinyl. I think that's what I will do.
Old 03-21-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Traxan
It's all part of the emasculation of music. been going on since the '90s. The industry has slowly but steadily drained all the testosterone out of music, except rap. For some reason, rappers can be as thuggish as they want. But the industry will never allow another Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, David Lee Roth or Jon Bon Jovi if it can help it.
Oh bullshit.

The hipster folkies are exactly what the music industry needed at this moment. It was a genre sorely lacking - actual music played by musicians with recognizable melody. As for it being a "drain on testosterone" then it was a drain on testosterone in the 70s with guys like Neil Young and Nick Drake.

"Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, David Lee Roth or Jon Bon Jovi" Really? Its a disgrace to even have Robert Plant in that lineup but it's not the industry that doesn't want that. It's the listeners. Even still, the folksy hipsters still are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of popular music.
Old 03-21-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And Steven Tyler and Jon Bon Jovi aren't exactly the most masculine guys in the world.
Old 03-21-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Traxan
. But the industry will never allow another Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, David Lee Roth or Jon Bon Jovi if it can help it.
Old 03-21-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

[this_thread] I'm old and I don't like new things because I don't understand them and they frighten me! Now give me something from my youth so I can retreat to a time when things felt safe. [/this_thread]
Old 03-21-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
[this_thread] I'm old and I don't like new things because I don't understand them and they frighten me! Now give me something from my youth so I can retreat to a time when things felt safe. [/this_thread]
Yeah that might apply if he was talking about rap or boy bands. The fact is all the artists he mentioned are traditional artists who fit in more with classic rock than anything currently hip. A lot of them just suck.

Very original "this thread " tags there though.
Old 03-21-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Doesn't matter the style, after a certain age, most (not all) people are closed off to anything new, even if it's not at all different from what they're used to.

Same reason a lot of Led Zep fans don't like Black Keys; of course BK aren't anywhere near as good as LZ, but if you like one, you should pretty much like the other, but that's usually the exception rather than the rule.
Old 03-21-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People keep talking about how there's no testosterone in rock and hasn't been since the 80s. Where the hell were you people when all that frat-boy alpha-male crap like Fred Durst and co. was popular? We needed this folk invasion to balance things out because mainstream rock radio got way too alphamale for a few years there. We had a few years of the alpha-male self professed douchebags (Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, etc...) and then we had several years of right-wing rockers so sappy and in touch with the housewife demographic that they made REO Speedwagon look like Pantera (3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Daughtry, Creed, The Fray....). This hipster folk movement is what was really needed after a dozen or so years of alpha-males dominating alternative radio. Because lo and behold, how dare alternative stations actually play artists that Pitchfork/NME/Spin actually report on.

And I agree with Slop, it's funny to see classic rock fans crap on modern bands because "The Stones did it better". Maybe so, but why is it a crime to like something made this century, or better yet, made at a time where the target fanbase upon initial release aren't yet AARP members? I love old stuff, but I also love new stuff. Liking Arcade Fire isn't going to take away the importance of Zeppelin or The Beatles.
Old 03-21-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Doesn't matter the style, after a certain age, most (not all) people are closed off to anything new, even if it's not at all different from what they're used to.

Same reason a lot of Led Zep fans don't like Black Keys; of course BK aren't anywhere near as good as LZ, but if you like one, you should pretty much like the other, but that's usually the exception rather than the rule.
Exactly. I know some people say BK are a ZZ Top ripoff... but then again, when was the last time ZZ Top released an album as good as Attack And Release, Brothers and El Camino? Eliminator? That was 30 years ago!
Old 03-21-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was testosterone in the 80s? I remember a bunch of long haired guys wearing makeup looking like women.
Old 03-21-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Exactly. I know some people say BK are a ZZ Top ripoff... but then again, when was the last time ZZ Top released an album as good as Attack And Release, Brothers and El Camino? Eliminator? That was 30 years ago!
I hear Top's latest "La Futura" is pretty dope. Afterburner was after Eliminator, so that one was epic, as well.
Old 03-21-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
There was testosterone in the 80s?
Old 03-21-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, but any related to good music?
Old 03-21-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I hear Top's latest "La Futura" is pretty dope.
You hear wrong.
Old 03-21-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Yes, but any related to good music?
IMO that was good music.

Sorry if my taste sucks.
Old 03-21-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,018 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
No hate yet for Phillip Phillips?
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Honestly, when I saw the thread title, he was the first person I had in mind. Jason Mraz would have been a close second.
No sense hating him here when we can just do it every other minute when his song is played on TV.
Old 03-21-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Mumford & Sons
Bon Iver
Ray LaMontagne
Iron & Wine
Midlake
The Middle East
Fleet Foxes
Here We Go Magic
Noah and the Whale
Blitzen Trapper
Megafaun
...etc

Some of their stuff is OK, most of it is tuneless warbling. We're drowning in a sea of neatly trimmed beards, bowler hats, henley shirts, banjos and accordians. I can't take it any more. Post REM, post CSNY, post Decembrists folky, strummy campfire sinaglongs straining to feel "real", "epic" and "moving". Driving home the pain of life, the yearning for days gone by, the eternal search for meaning in a crazy world, man. Artisinal bread is baked, a handmade cask of homebrewed mead is tapped, a gingham picnic blanket is spread 'neath the old oak tree. The banjos swirl, the kick drum pounds, the tamborine is struck...won't you join in the merrie danse around the maypole? No Sir, I will not.

/goes to blast "Shout at the Devil"
I guess I just like soft ass shit. I like most of the bands you listed and will have to check out the others that I don't know. I actually think music is getting back to real talent with most of these acts. Back to the some of the singer songwriter stuff of the 70s, where there was real talent, if you don't sound good with just your voice and an acoustic guitar, I think there is a lack of talent. Especially these days where you just need a pretty face, computers, auto tune, etc. and you can make anybody sound good.

And to defend one of them, I was at this show and if this isn't "real", "epic" and "moving", I don't know what is.

Old 03-21-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar
Listening to Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus on Spotify. That's some folky shit that kicks major ass.
Oh yes. One of my favorite bands of all time. Please do not misconstrue my irritation here. The ironic thing is that most of the bands that these bands claim as influences I love. Nick Drake, The Byrds, Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson, The Band, Randy Newman, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Gram Parsons, early Dylan, Joan Baez, Emmylou Harris. They are all terrific, obviously.

It's not the folk overtones alone. I love lots of folk. It's not the sentimentality alone, I'm as sentimental as the next guy. It's the artiface, the cynicism, the bandwagoning, the pretention, the humorlessness. It's the complete lack of any teeth or edge to the music or the lyrics. It's the total lack in orginality. It's how they all sound exactly the same. It's how all of their songs strike one note and evoke one mood. It's the late-summer's eve sun-dappled lens-flare effects used in every single goddamned one of their videos.

Overall, though, it the lack of solid songs. There's few identifiable hooks. The lyrics are meandering and anodyne. It's wallpaper. It's worse than the soft-rock wallpaper of the 70s because it's pretending to be something more than wallpaper.

Last edited by Hiro11; 03-21-13 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by wendersfan
The first Fleet Foxes album is one of my all-time favorites. I listened to it this morning on my way to work.
Probably riding a bike with patches on your elbows! Amiright?
Old 03-21-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Probaly riding a bike with patches on your elbows! Amiright?
Shit just got real up in here.
Old 03-21-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Hiro11, that was some mighty fine ranting.

Personally, I like that the Banjo and acoustic guitar have gotten more popular lately. I really like bands like The Civil Wars, Decemberists, Trampled by Turtles, Punch Brothers, etc.
Old 03-21-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11

It's not the folk overtones alone. I love lots of folk. It's not the sentimentality alone, I'm as sentimental as the next guy. It's the artiface, the cynicism, the bandwagoning, the pretention, the humorlessness. It's the complete lack of any teeth or edge to the music or the lyrics. It's the total lack in orginality. It's how they all sound exactly the same. It's how all of their songs strike one note and evoke one mood. It's the late-summer's eve sun-dappled lens-flare effects used in every single goddamned one of their videos.
I get some of that, but I think that is true of any style/genre that gets popular and is more a product of one band with that style getting popular and then record companies looking to sign anybody, talent or not, that sounds vaguely similar.
Old 03-21-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

We used to play "guess the color of elbow patches" for an anthropology professor in college.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.