Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Stone Temple Pilots "fire" Scott Weiland

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Stone Temple Pilots "fire" Scott Weiland

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stone Temple Pilots "fire" Scott Weiland

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
It's a pretty good approximation of what it would sound like if STP had a Skynyrd-style plane crash and Weiland's less-talented little brother took over for him.

I'm neither a Weiland fanboy or a Linkin Park hater but this is "could be worse" at best, and it's still unacceptable while Weiland still lives and breathes. These three guys need to realize they're lucky to have hitched their wagons to Weiland. He's obviously a trainwreck but putting up with a trainwreck so you can make hundreds of thousands of dollars as a touring musician is better than actually working for a living.

Tons of professional musicians put up with difficult stars every day, what makes these three nobodies think they're above that?

Here's what they should do: find a major metropolitan city with two comparable venues. Book them both the same night. Sell them both as STP shows. Put the names of who is actually in each band on all the bills, posters etc. Let people pick between Stone Temple Pilots with Scott Weiland and 3 new guys and the other version with these three losers and the guy from Linkin Park. The better-selling show decides the fate of the band. The Linkin Park version wins and it shows Weiland is expendable. Weiland wins (and he would) and shows the other members who the real draw is.

Well, that or anyone with half a brain can realize that any one of these three guy could leave the band and it would be a 1-line blurb at best and act accordingly.
Here's the thing though, Weiland may have been the focal point of the band, but he was hardly the main creative force. Most of their music was written and performed by the DeLeo brothers - Dean on guitar, and Robert on bass. Robert was particularly the main songwriter of the band, and Dean is perhaps one of the most overlooked guitarists of the last 20 years. Drummer Eric Kretz is no slouch, either. They were the true creative force of the band, writing and playing most all those catchy hooks. So forgive me if I take offense to someone who refers to them as "the three losers".

Trouble was, for all that talent, they still needed someone with the charisma of Scott Weiland to help sell it. And for a long time, everything was good, until the "real" loser of the band couldn't keep his shit together. Honestly, I can't think of an artist who had more going for him (that didn't off himself), who time and again decided to piss it all away. If he could just have stay off the drugs and drink, and keep his head in check, everyone would be better off for it.

Unfortunately, these two entities just seem to be the right magical combination that works the best . Together, they are the porridge that Goldilocks ate, but on their own, or in other projects, it has been fairly well proven that people don't seem to have the same taste for them.

Weiland's two solo albums were ok, but his first was exactly what I was afraid it would be - a mostly over indulgent mess. His second was better, but they still showed that he doesn't have enough creative juice on his own to be truly successful. The albums he did with Velvet Revolver were an improvement, but only further helped illustrate the point that he needed other talented people to filter musical ideas through.

As for the DeLeo brothers and Kretz, the Talk Show album was as good as any STP album in my book. The only thing it could have benefitted better from was if they had perhaps used a more well known singer than Dave Coutts - whose prior band Ten Inch Men didn't exactly draw a lot of notice. They tried to remedy this the second time out with singer Robert Patrick (Filter) and drummer Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees, Mad Season) and the Army Of Anyone project, but it came too many years too late for most to care.

I get that this time out they are obviously keeping the STP name in hopes of better success. With three out of four original members, they certainly have more claim to it, and are deserving of it. But that said, I don't think it'll help them much. At least not at this point in the game. And unfortunately, as much as he also makes the band, there has been no one who has done more to sully the name of Stone Temple Pilots than Scott Weiland.

Oh, and for the record, I thought the last album was pretty damn good.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 05-19-13 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I love the hell out of "Tiny Music From the Vatican Gift Shop". All of the other stuff feels like something from my childhood (which it is). But Tiny Music is still a good listen anytime. An all around epic album.
Old 05-20-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Here's the thing though, Weiland may have been the focal point of the band, but he was hardly the main creative force. Most of their music was written and performed by the DeLeo brothers - Dean on guitar, and Robert on bass. Robert was particularly the main songwriter of the band, and Dean is perhaps one of the most overlooked guitarists of the last 20 years. Drummer Eric Kretz is no slouch, either. They were the true creative force of the band, writing and playing most all those catchy hooks. So forgive me if I take offense to someone who refers to them as "the three losers".

Trouble was, for all that talent, they still needed someone with the charisma of Scott Weiland to help sell it. And for a long time, everything was good, until the "real" loser of the band couldn't keep his shit together. Honestly, I can't think of an artist who had more going for him (that didn't off himself), who time and again decided to piss it all away. If he could just have stay off the drugs and drink, and keep his head in check, everyone would be better off for it.

Unfortunately, these two entities just seem to be the right magical combination that works the best . Together, they are the porridge that Goldilocks ate, but on their own, or in other projects, it has been fairly well proven that people don't seem to have the same taste for them.

Weiland's two solo albums were ok, but his first was exactly what I was afraid it would be - a mostly over indulgent mess. His second was better, but they still showed that he doesn't have enough creative juice on his own to be truly successful. The albums he did with Velvet Revolver were an improvement, but only further helped illustrate the point that he needed other talented people to filter musical ideas through.

As for the DeLeo brothers and Kretz, the Talk Show album was as good as any STP album in my book. The only thing it could have benefitted better from was if they had perhaps used a more well known singer than Dave Coutts - whose prior band Ten Inch Men didn't exactly draw a lot of notice. They tried to remedy this the second time out with singer Robert Patrick (Filter) and drummer Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees, Mad Season) and the Army Of Anyone project, but it came too many years too late for most to care.

I get that this time out they are obviously keeping the STP name in hopes of better success. With three out of four original members, they certainly have more claim to it, and are deserving of it. But that said, I don't think it'll help them much. At least not at this point in the game. And unfortunately, as much as he also makes the band, there has been no one who has done more to sully the name of Stone Temple Pilots than Scott Weiland.

Oh, and for the record, I thought the last album was pretty damn good.
Great post. Sorry, but anyone referring to the DeLeo brothers and Kretz as "three losers" seems to not know that much about music and can't possibly be taken seriously.

I watched the KROQ video and was impressed. Chester's voice isn't for everyone, but IMO, he's a pretty damn good fit. Give me the choice between those 2 bands - I would take Chester with the rest of STP in a heartbeat.
Old 05-20-13, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkdevo
Great post. Sorry, but anyone referring to the DeLeo brothers and Kretz as "three losers" seems to not know that much about music and can't possibly be taken seriously.
I second that.
Old 05-20-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe "three losers" was a little harsh but without Weiland they're Talk Show or Army of Anyone. That says it all. You can say all you want about their contributions in the band but the frontman is almost always the main draw and STP isn't even close to being an exception.
Old 05-20-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The DeLeos and Kretz are professionals, and it says something that you can name the other two bands they've been in. It's not their fault that Weiland can't get his life together. It's easy to be outside of the group and say they should tough it out and stick with him, but you have to remember that this shit has been going on since the early-to-mid 90s.
Old 05-20-13, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Scott Weiland is playing a solo show at one of the HOB's here at the end of the month and June, I think. It will be interesting to see if he says anything leading up to, during, and after the show(s).
Old 05-21-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The new song sounds alright, but I can't help but put it in the Gary Cherone in Van Halen category.

Van Halen III is not a great album, but it's not awful either. But there was no chance of Cherone's tenure being a success. In this case, there's even less of a chance as Linkin Park is arguably bigger than STP at this point in their careers.
Old 05-24-13, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Stone Temple Pilots Suing Ex-Frontman Scott Weiland

The Stone Temple Pilots accuse former frontman Scott Weiland of misusing the band's name to further his solo career and want a judge to strip the rocker of his ability to use the group's name or songs.

A lawsuit filed Friday in Los Angeles accuses Weiland of being chronically late to concerts while the group was together and having his lawyer attempt to interfere with the airplay of the group's new single "Out of Time."

Weiland and Stone Temple Pilots parted ways in February, and the 45-year-old singer said at the time that he learned of his ouster from a statement released to the media.

The suit sheds light on the band's breakup, accusing Weiland of interacting with band mates only through lawyers or managers and showing up late to the group's 2012 shows. It cites Weiland's addiction struggles and poor performances as detriments to the band's earning potential.

"The band endured much strife and lost significant opportunities because of Weiland," the suit states.

Phone messages left for Weiland's manager Andrea Pett-Joseph and lawyer Gary Stiffelman were not immediately returned Friday.

The lawsuit claims the band owns the rights to the name Stone Temple Pilots, and the band's songs, copyrights and trademarks. Wieland has used many of the band's hits in his solo shows, the lawsuit states. The band wants a judge to block him from even calling himself a former member of the band.

The band has been reconstituted with Chester Bennington of Linkin Park taking the frontman role.

The lawsuit claims that Weiland's lawyer called the head of programming at KROQ, a Los Angeles modern rock station, and said if the station played "Out of Time" it would be infringing on Weiland's rights.

"Enough is enough," the band's lawsuit states. "Without relief from the court, Weiland will continue violating STP's rights, misappropriating STP assets and interfering with the band's livelihood."

The lawsuit states the band entered into agreements in 1996 and 2010 that state that no former members can use the Stone Temple Pilots name.

The band's hits include "Vasoline," ''Interstate Love Song" and "Plush," which won a Grammy in 1993 for best hard rock performance with vocal.

Weiland alluded to lawyers getting involved when the band's statement about his departure was released.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-scott-weiland
Old 05-25-13, 08:27 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

A letter to my fans,

Like everybody else out there, I read about my band, Stone Temple Pilots, and their recent performance this past weekend with a new singer. To tell you the truth, it took me by surprise. And it hurt.

But the band that played last weekend was not Stone Temple Pilots and it was wrong of them to present themselves as that.

First of all they don't have the legal right to call themselves STP because I'm still a member of the band. And more importantly, they don't have the ethical right to call themselves Stone Temple Pilots because it's misleading and dishonest to the millions of fans that have followed us for so many years.

When I tour on my own, it's never as Stone Temple Pilots. It's as Scott Weiland. The fans deserve to know what they're getting.

Like any band that's stood the test of time and made music for more than two decades, STP had a special alchemy - the four of us together were greater than any one of us apart. So if my former bandmates want to tour with a new singer, that's their prerogative.

I don't give a fuck what they call themselves, but it's not Stone Temple Pilots.
And so I say to you, our fans, I'll see you out there on the road this summer where I'm touring as "Scott Weiland" with my band The Wildabouts. But don't give up on STP. I know I haven't.

~ Scott
Old 05-25-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never really know how to feel about bands that replace the lead singer. I mean, it worked for Van Halen (Sammy Hagar), but every other instance I've seen it just doesn't feel right (Queen+ _____ INXS, etc..)

I understand the why behind them keeping the STP name, but having Chester doing Scott sung songs borders on cover band territory.

Honestly, I think STP has reached a point where they are appealing mostly to their fan. So I don't see how breaking up and forming a new band would hurt. I mean, if you like STP enough to know they are having these troubles, you're gonna know that they broke up and the other members formed _________ with the dude from Linkin Park.
Old 05-25-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I never really know how to feel about bands that replace the lead singer. I mean, it worked for Van Halen (Sammy Hagar), but every other instance I've seen it just doesn't feel right (Queen+ _____ INXS, etc..)

I understand the why behind them keeping the STP name, but having Chester doing Scott sung songs borders on cover band territory.

Honestly, I think STP has reached a point where they are appealing mostly to their fan. So I don't see how breaking up and forming a new band would hurt. I mean, if you like STP enough to know they are having these troubles, you're gonna know that they broke up and the other members formed _________ with the dude from Linkin Park.
Van Halen was only in the public conscious for 7 years when Sammy Hagar joined. Even though they had a couple of classic albums when Sammy joined, they were still relatively new to the public. I think that is why they had a better chance. And it didn't hurt that Eddie was still writing decent music and huge hits at the time.

When bands start replacing the lead singers and they have been around for 10 plus years,have had several classic albums, and the lead singer basically embodied the vision and sound of the band (in the public's mind at least) makes it fail (i.e. Alice In Chains, Queen, Journey, Motley Crue, etc).
Old 05-25-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Van Halen was only in the public conscious for 7 years when Sammy Hagar joined. Even though they had a couple of classic albums when Sammy joined, they were still relatively new to the public. I think that is why they had a better chance. And it didn't hurt that Eddie was still writing decent music and huge hits at the time.

When bands start replacing the lead singers and they have been around for 10 plus years,have had several classic albums, and the lead singer basically embodied the vision and sound of the band (in the public's mind at least) makes it fail (i.e. Alice In Chains, Queen, Journey, Motley Crue, etc).
Queen, a band I really did not care for, is the quintessence of this. Farrokh Bulsara was such an integral part of the band in his vocals, writing, showmanship and design that he was not just irreplaceable, there is no Queen without him. He was the core of the group. Not really my place to say but the rest of the guys should have called themselves something other than Queen.
Old 05-25-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by arminius
Queen, a band I really did not care for, is the quintessence of this. Farrokh Bulsara was such an integral part of the band in his vocals, writing, showmanship and design that he was not just irreplaceable, there is no Queen without him. He was the core of the group. Not really my place to say but the rest of the guys should have called themselves something other than Queen.
Well, in Queen's defense the founding members were also part of the band, not just Freddie, which is why they added the AND ____, with Paul Rodgers and those other guest vocalists.

STP could just do the same "STP and Chester Bennington" or "STP featuring Chester Bennington," etc.

Scott also made a good point that he's never used the STP name while touring solo. It's either been his own name or the name of his solo band.
Old 05-26-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with some of that, but not all of it is true in Van Halen's case. The band had been around for almost 10 years with David Lee Roth, with six Top 20 albums, five of which were Top 10, and three of which were Top 5 on Billboard's Top 200 Album chart. They'd also had eleven Top 100 singles, including a #1, and had just come off of their best selling album to date when Roth left the band. It was hardly like they were relatively new to the public. One of the reasons Roth went solo in the first place, was beacause he was becoming such a personality in his own right, and he very much embodied the vision and sound of the band. It was a pretty big deal when Sammy Hagar replaced him, and nobody knew if it was going to work.

The only other major band that had switched a lead singer under similar circumstances, and had equal or greater success was AC/DC. They, at least, got cut some slack, as their former lead singer (Bon Scott) had died.

I suppose you could say Genesis, too, after Peter Gabriel left - but at least Phil Collins had already been doing some of the singing on their albums, and was already a member of the band.

Journey is an odd exception, as Steve Perry wasn't their original lead singer, either. Keyboardist Greg Rollie (who had also sung on a number of Santana songs when he and guitarist Neal Schon were members of that band), was the band's original vocalist. Then there was a brief dalliance with singer Robert Fleischman (Channel, Vinnie Vincent Invasion), before Steve Perry was brought into the fold on their fourth album - and even then, Rollie was still handling a fair amount of lead vocals until he left the band. True, though, that the band did achieve their greatest success with Steve Perry.

Generally, though, the main reason a band will stick with a name is for buisness purposes. It's much easier to sell a known entity, than it is to a new, unkown one. Right or wrong, there are plenty of people who will buy an album, or see a concert by a name they know, without even bothering to see if any of the band members have changed. That's at least what the labels are counting on, and many times (but not always) that's what they'll insist on. It can often decide on whether a band will get (or keep) a record deal, or not. With STP, I can almost guarantee that this is at least partially the case, and in all fairness, I can't say I entirely blame them for it.

That said, I think Why So Blu? is onto something that would be more PC, with his suggestion they should refer to themselves as "STP with Chester Bennington".

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 05-26-13 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-26-13, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel so stupid for forgetting AC/DC.

I still don't see why STP can't pull a New Order (monetary reasons aside).
Old 05-26-13, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I agree with some of that, but not all of it is true in Van Halen's case. The band had been around for almost 10 years with David Lee Roth, with six Top 20 albums, five of which were Top 10, and three of which were Top 5 on Billboard's Top 200 Album chart. They'd also had eleven Top 100 singles, including a #1, and had just come off of their best selling album to date when Roth left the band. It was hardly like they were relatively new to the public. One of the reasons Roth went solo in the first place, was beacause he was becoming such a personality in his own right, and he very much embodied the vision and sound of the band. It was a pretty big deal when Sammy Hagar replaced him, and nobody knew if it was going to work.

The only other major band that had switched a lead singer under similar circumstances, and had equal or greater success was AC/DC. They, at least, got cut some slack, as their former lead singer (Bon Scott) had died.

I suppose you could say Genesis, too, after Peter Gabriel left - but at least Phil Collins had already been doing some of the singing on their albums, and was already a member of the band.

Journey is an odd exception, as Steve Perry wasn't their original lead singer, either. Keyboardist Greg Rollie (who had also sung on a number of Santana songs when he and guitarist Neal Schon were members of that band), was the band's original vocalist. Then there was a brief dalliance with singer Robert Fleischman (Channel, Vinnie Vincent Invasion), before Steve Perry was brought into the fold on their fourth album - and even then, Rollie was still handling a fair amount of lead vocals until he left the band. True, though, that the band did achieve their greatest success with Steve Perry.

Generally, though, the main reason a band will stick with a name is for buisness purposes. It's much easier to sell a known entity, than it is to a new, unkown one. Right or wrong, there are plenty of people who will buy an album, or see a concert by a name they know, without even bothering to see if any of the band members have changed. That's at least what the labels are counting on, and many times (but not always) that's what they'll insist on. It can often decide on whether a band will get (or keep) a record deal, or not. With STP, I can almost guarantee that this is at least partially the case, and in all fairness, I can't say I entirely blame them for it.

That said, I think Why So Blu? is onto something that would be more PC, with his suggestion they should refer to themselves as "STP with Chester Bennington".
Good post. I did forget the big deal that came with DLR leaving/getting kicked out of VH. But that just goes to show you that having a hit record goes a long way with the public. Release a catchy song and the general public will forgive anything usually. "Why Can't This Be Love" is of my favorite VH songs and I was a big DLR fan at the time and thought VH wouldn't go anywhere when he left. But again, their first album was in 1978 and all the DLR shit hit the fan in 1985 so their weren't dealing with the massive amount of time that some of these groups deal with. But 1984 was a freaking huge record. I can't imagine the pressure Eddie probably felt when DLR departed.

Forgot about Journey. But their pre-Perry music couldn't have been anymore different than the Peter Gabriel fronted Genesis was. Two very different incarnations even though they contained most of the same members.

AC/DC only lasted 5 years from their first album to when Bon Scott died. They did very well for themselves making the perfect choice to replace him. Not much time difference and again...hit records and catchy songs go a long way.

The problem with STP is that they have been off and on with Scott for 20+ years now. I have all their albums and was a huge fan right at the beginning when they were just being dismissed as a Pearl Jam rip-off (which I never understood then and still do not understand to this day). That being said, I could not name one of the other guys from STP. They may be great musicians and wrote all of the awesome STP music but Scott wrote the lyrics and has always been the face and voice of the band. Hell, in any interviews, Scott would always be the one talking and the other 3 just typically sat there barely adding any info. Whether they like it or not, STP isn't STP without Scott.

But as I have said, a big catchy hit goes a long way. The problem is getting a big catchy hit in R'n'R in the current music climate is almost nearly impossible.

Styx is a weird one. I won't even get into their wacky history but Tommy touring as Styx without Dennis DeYoung is bullshit.

Chicago surprised everybody with several big hits right after Peter Cetera left.

Sorry for the long post but I could talk about this dumb shit all day. Must be the old music store manager coming out in me. I miss getting stoned and talking about music. It was a fun job to have during college.
Old 05-26-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good post. I did forget the big deal that came with DLR leaving/getting kicked out of VH. But that just goes to show you that having a hit record goes a long way with the public. Release a catchy song and the general public will forgive anything usually. "Why Can't This Be Love" is of my favorite VH songs and I was a big DLR fan at the time and thought VH wouldn't go anywhere when he left. But again, their first album was in 1978 and all the DLR shit hit the fan in 1985 so their weren't dealing with the massive amount of time that some of these groups deal with. But 1984 was a freaking huge record. I can't imagine the pressure Eddie probably felt when DLR departed.

Forgot about Journey. But their pre-Perry music couldn't have been anymore different than the Peter Gabriel fronted Genesis was. Two very different incarnations even though they contained most of the same members.

AC/DC only lasted 5 years from their first album to when Bon Scott died. They did very well for themselves making the perfect choice to replace him. Not much time difference and again...hit records and catchy songs go a long way.

The problem with STP is that they have been off and on with Scott for 20+ years now. I have all their albums and was a huge fan right at the beginning when they were just being dismissed as a Pearl Jam rip-off (which I never understood then and still do not understand to this day). That being said, I could not name one of the other guys from STP. They may be great musicians and wrote all of the awesome STP music but Scott wrote the lyrics and has always been the face and voice of the band. Hell, in any interviews, Scott would always be the one talking and the other 3 just typically sat there barely adding any info. Whether they like it or not, STP isn't STP without Scott.

But as I have said, a big catchy hit goes a long way. The problem is getting a big catchy hit in R'n'R in the current music climate is almost nearly impossible.

Styx is a weird one. I won't even get into their wacky history but Tommy touring as Styx without Dennis DeYoung is bullshit.

Chicago surprised everybody with several big hits right after Peter Cetera left.

Sorry for the long post but I could talk about this dumb shit all day. Must be the old music store manager coming out in me. I miss getting stoned and talking about music. It was a fun job to have during college.
Excellently well said right back at you.

Especially that last part.

As for myself, tough. I can remember a few instances where it was one, or both of the DeLeo brothers doing the talking. Especially since Robert (the bass player) was the primary songwriter in the band. In Dean's case, since I have always been impressed with his playing, I made sure I found out who he was. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I still consider him one of the most underrated guitarists to come out of the whole Rock scene in the last 20 odd years. Had a little STP listening marathon this morning, and I still stand by that comment.

Oh, and I forgot about Styx, myself. At least with them, while Denis DeYoung may have been their featured lead singer, Tommy Shaw also contributed a fair amount of lead vocals to the band's hits, too, as well as the occasional song from James JY Young. I liked the one album they did in Glen Burtnik replaced Tommy Shaw, but haven't really heard anything they've done since Lawrence Gowen replaced DeYoung.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 05-26-13 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-31-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Slash and Duff McKagan joined Chester + STP last night for Mott The Hopple's "All The Young Dudes":

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dlha2EhuuKY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-31-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's official:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ether-20130531

Stone Temple Pilots and Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington first revealed their surprising collaboration recently at L.A. radio station KROQ's annual Weenie Roast show. Last night the two acts joined forces at the annual MAP/MusiCares Fund Benefit Concert in L.A., where Bennington was presented the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award for his dedication to MAP/MusiCares and helping other addicts with recovery.

Before Bennington and STP took the stage, the group talked to Rolling Stone and revealed this is not just a musical fling. "When you get together and put a new piece in, there's a whole different energy. For us the creative juices have just been flowing – we've been writing, we have tons of great ideas," Bennington said. "Next week we're going back in the studio and hammering out some more music."

Stone Temple Pilots Sue Scott Weiland

But that does not mean there will be an album anytime soon, or any sort of fixed schedule: With Bennington still heavily involved in Linkin Park, he and STP will disseminate new music the way they did with their first track together, "Out of Time."

"We don't have a label," he said. "Everything we're doing is on our own, so we're just taking it one track at a time. We would love to sit down and hammer out a record, but the reality is we're gonna make music, we're gonna make a lot of it, and we're gonna be in a position to release a single at a time, go out and really give people music the way they want to get it," he said. "It is a good position to be in, and for us, all we care about is going out, making the legacy as great as it needs to be, as great as people expect it to be, and coming out with new music that lives up to that standard."

About the addition of Bennington, Dean DeLeo said, "It just came about very harmoniously. I don't want to use the 's' word – serendipitous – but it really was. Very natural."

For Bennington, to play on this night not just with STP, but with his longtime friends Slash and Duff McKagan – who joined the group for a rousing singalong on the Mott the Hoople classic "All the Young Dudes" – was very special because of what MAP/MusiCares means to him.

"The reason why I come and do the things I do for MusiCares is it's a program that helps people that really need the help. They go out and change people's lives, and they give them the support that they need," he said. "And if they had asked me to show up and just play the first song by myself like I did a couple of years ago, I would've done the same thing, and it wouldn't have mattered about the award or whatever."

McKagan echoed the sentiment. "I've been here the last few years, and good for Chester. Chester is a big name. It draws a lot of people in, they're gonna pay the high dollars for a table, and that's what you want. You want to raise money for MusiCares – that's the most important thing."
Old 05-31-13, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mkdevo
Slash and Duff McKagan joined Chester + STP last night for Mott The Hopple's "All The Young Dudes":

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dlha2EhuuKY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Hmmm? Interesting that they should be playing with two of Weiland's former Velvet Revolver bandmates. You just know that's got to be stinging Scott a little. Would have loved to have been a fly own the wall for those backstage stories.
Old 02-05-16, 09:25 AM

According to some sleuthing by the folks over at Alternative Nation, Stone Temple Pilots will soon announce the search for a new lead singer. Following the death of former STP frontman Scott Weiland and the November 2015 departure of his touring replacement, Linkin Park’s Chester Bennington, the band has listed the following message on their homepage:

LAUNCHING SOON: We’re updating our website and will be back up shortly. Feel free to browse music and merch with the link below….

Alternative Nation dug around the backend of the STP website and found information about the band’s search in the form of this message:

2016 marks a new year for Stone Temple Pilots…

A year of hope, optimism, and most importantly, new music! We are immensely proud of all that we have been able to share with you over the years. Music, music, music. We very much want to continue doing that, but that’s going to take a little help from all of you.

As you know, prior to the untimely passing of our brother in arms, Scott, we had been working with the incomparable Chester Bennington. What you also likely know is that having Chester front two bands of this size and scope was too much for one man to be able to do and so regretfully we had to move onto a new chapter together. This is where you come in…

We are officially announcing that we are seeking a new vocalist to front Stone Temple Pilots. We’ve already heard from many talented people, but want to make this an opportunity for many more so we’ve set up a way for you to do just that.

If you think you have what it takes to front this band, record with this band, and tour with this band, we would dig hearing from you. No one will ever “replace” Scott, that was never the intent. The intent is for Stone Temple Pilots to continue on, to evolve, and to do what we do… make music! We look forward to seeing you.

Love,

Robert, Eric, Dean

The band’s also uploaded a new video to their YouTube channel with the title “STP Singer Submission,” which consists of its three remaining members — Dean and Robert DeLeo and Eric Kretz — jamming away, sans-vocals. That’s below.

<iframe width="618" height="322" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DcHGtt170Bs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.spin.com/2016/02/stone-te...n=spinfacebook
Old 02-05-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They could always do a Rock Band: STP! It worked out so well for INXS and Supernova.
Old 02-10-16, 10:28 AM

Stone Temple Pilots are going to continue playing music under their moniker with a new lead singer following the death of Scott Weiland, though the surviving members of the band’s decision to do so is being met with some criticism. In an interview with 105.7 The Point yesterday, Dean and Robert DeLeo defended their decision to keep the STP name when a fan told them not to keep using the name of “Scott Weiland’s band.”

“I kind of look at it this way. There were 3/4 of us that were responsible with Scott, making Stone Temple Pilots,” Robert DeLeo said, according to Alternative Nation.

I see the point there on both comments, I do, I see the point,” Dean DeLeo added. “It’s interesting, because there’s people that say, ‘That was Scott’s band.’ Well I’m going to tell you something — If this was Scott’s band, it would have been run into the ground by 1998. It would have been over. That’s the way he lived his life. We’re talking about a guy that killed himself, unfortunately, the tragedy of that. Robert, Eric [Kretz], and I were the guys who managed through thick and thin to keep him together, he relied upon us, we relied upon him. He got farther, and farther away from this world, and there was no coming back man.”
http://www.spin.com/2016/02/stone-te...n=spinfacebook
Old 02-10-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

STP Mark II

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.