Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Depeche Mode album - "Delta Machine" 3/26 (plus info on new single "Heaven")

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Depeche Mode album - "Delta Machine" 3/26 (plus info on new single "Heaven")

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: New Depeche Mode album - "Delta Machine" 3/26 (plus info on new single "Heaven")

I'm guessing there will be some northwest dates? They are extremely popular up here.
Old 03-11-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Depeche Mode album - "Delta Machine" 3/26 (plus info on new single "Heaven")

Closest city for me is DFW. I may have to do that trip since its a Friday night.
Old 03-11-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.cbs.com/shows/liveonlette.../depeche-mode/
Old 03-11-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Watched it live. Two friends of mine were there and sent me pictures the whole time too. I thought this was a fantastic 50 minute set. "Angel" sounded great live. I still think the song is kind of a mess in parts. Just too jumbled. "Should Be Higher" (a new song off the album) was GREAT!!! "Heaven" is a song that sounds just a good live as the studio version. I'm really tired of "Walking in My Shoes". I just wish they would retire all songs from "SOFAD" for just one tour. Glad they brought back "Barrel of a Gun" live. Although I didn't care for the new range Dave sang in parts. Production-wise, it was a home run. I pray "Soft Touch/Raw Nerve" is better on the album. Because it was damn near terrible live.
Old 03-11-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed awesome show. Can't wait for the new album.
Old 03-15-13, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WOW!!!!

http://m.soundcloud.com/soothe-1/dm-soothe-my-soul
Old 03-15-13, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Album sneak preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi6_AJi4Mes
Old 03-17-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I just listened to the album in it's entirety tonight four times in a row and well, it's a great release! It's 100,000 x better produced than "Sounds of the Universe". "Heaven" is the slowest and weakest track on the entire album. And the last track, "Goodbye", it the worst (IMO). It's THE most un-DM like song they've ever done. It's just not a good song, no matter who did it. Other than that, this album is electronic nirvana. It's both current and yet tips it hat at past DM. From early 80's up to the mid-90's ("Ultra"). For example, track #4 ("Secret To The End") has a very "Sister of the Night"-esque moment midway through the song, and at the end. And it's probably my favorite song on the album. "My Little Universe" is song made especially for headphones. It's like Hot Chip meets Kraftwork meets the Knife meets early 80's Depeche Mode. "Slow" is a bluesy electronic slow burner. Very nice. And the vocals and harmonies are sublime! "Broken" is another one of the albums better tracks. Sounds like it could have been lifted from "Playing the Angel". But it's a strong enough track to be a single. Fantastic vocals by Dave. Thank God "Soft Touch/Raw Nerve" is a much better studio releae than the live version "Live on Letterman". That was terrible. Martin's only fronted sung song on this album is a bit of a letdown. It sounded like it came from "Counterfeit 2". Not that that's a bad thing. But sonically, it's so much different from the rest of the tracks on "Delta Machine". And FWIW, I ***love*** both "Counterfeit" and "Counterfeit 2". Next, "Alone" is another fantastic electronic wet dream. One of my favorite songs on the album. Current but mostly retro sounding. "Soothe My Soul" has already been released, great track. My overall rating for "Delta Machine" is a solid 9/10
Old 03-17-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

C'mon. "Goodbye" can't possibly be worse than "Damaged People" from PTA. That was the worst DM song ever.
Old 03-18-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sherm42
C'mon. "Goodbye" can't possibly be worse than "Damaged People" from PTA. That was the worst DM song ever.
I respectfully disagree. While lyrically it might not be the strongest, production-wise, that was quite a powerful song. And very effective. "Dream On" and "Goodnight Lovers" were a million times worse (DM songs).
Old 03-18-13, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I was a little harsh on "Goodbye". Most of it is pure DM. I just don't like the part where Dave and Martin sing "good....good....good.....bye". THAT part sounds nothing like Depeche Mode. The rest does.
Old 03-18-13, 03:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm listening now, but want to give it some time and another listen or two to really sink in before I give an opinion.
Old 03-18-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's now a full album stream at iTunes as well. I'll be checking this out tonight.
Old 03-18-13, 08:57 PM
Banned by request

I hate to say it, but after three listens in a row, this isn't leaving much of an impression on me. Conversely, I had half the songs of Sounds of the Universe stuck in my head after one listen.
Old 03-18-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This album sounded best in my car and then with headphones on my laptop. Not so much on my computer at work. So it needs to be listened to the proper way. Regardless of whether you love or just like it (I can't imagine anyone hating it), it is a better produced album than "SOTU".
Old 03-18-13, 10:02 PM
Banned by request

I don't remember there being any problems with the production sound of SOTU.
Old 03-18-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't remember there being any problems with the production sound of SOTU.
Listening to both side by side, there is no comparison. "Delta Machine" is the better produced album of the two. EW gave the album an A- grade. And look at the new Bowie reference. Couldn't agree more.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/03/18/d...-album-review/
Old 03-18-13, 11:06 PM
Banned by request

SOTU sounded fine to me. What is your definition of better production?
Old 03-19-13, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved SOTU, but agree that this is even better. One of my friends is someone who hates everything post-Violator and even he is salivating over this album.

Can't wait to hear the four bonus tracks.
Old 03-19-13, 05:04 PM
Banned by request

Listening more, I'm warming up to it. I think it's stronger than Playing The Angel and Ultra, but weaker than SOTU and Exciter (yes, Exciter).
Old 03-19-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Listening more, I'm warming up to it. I think it's stronger than Playing The Angel and Ultra, but weaker than SOTU and Exciter (yes, Exciter).
Oh, Daniel (shaking head). "Exciter"!? Ugh! That's possibly the most hated DM album ever. And while I agree it has two or three decent tracks, it is their worst. With a better producer, maybe it could have been better (?)
Old 03-20-13, 01:03 AM
Banned by request

I don't get what the hang-up is about production. The issue is songwriting, and Exciter had some damn good songs. I don't care if it's the most hated, I call it like I see it.
Old 03-20-13, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought SOTU was all about the sound and not nearly enough about some pop sweets. Playing The Angel had some amazing tunes that were as good as some Violator moments. That's where I'm coming from while listening to the new recording. It's a slight disappointment to me. "Angel" is that sweet spot I love with DM. There are too many tunes on this album that are close to filler to me. Still happy to hear a few really good tunes, though.

Last edited by atlantamoi; 03-20-13 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-20-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I thought SOTU was all about the sound and not nearly enough about some pop sweets. Playing The Angel had some amazing tunes that were as good as some Violator moments. That's where I'm coming from while listening to the new recording. It's a slight disappointment to me. "Angel" is that sweet spot I love with DM. There are too many tunes on this album that are close to filler to me. Still happy to hear a few really good tunes, though.
I don't keep up with every release, but I LOVE Playing the Angel as well. Giving the new one a quick listen, it's not grabbing me as much.
Old 03-26-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Got to hear the first 5 songs this morning on the way to work. I was going to buy it either way, but if they're selling this as a cross between Violator and SOFAD that's pretty gross misrepresentation IMO.

This sounds like a continuation of SOTU to me. The first song was decent, but there's no edge and nothing really catchy so far. I still think Playing the Angel is the last strong thing they've done. I was not crazy about Exciter when I first heard but I would at least rank that ahead of their last two. I got into the band on Ultra so that will always have a high spot with me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.