Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Led Zeppelin remasters by Jimmy Page in 2013

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Led Zeppelin remasters by Jimmy Page in 2013

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Led Zeppelin remasters by Jimmy Page in 2013

I grew up with Zeppelin. I loved Zeppelin. They blew it by not reforming over all these years. Their catalog remains small and long in the tooth. I will not be buying any of these reissues - maybe a used copy down the road for cheap.

Truthfully, The Song Remains the Same blu-ray is stunning and all that is really needed, as far as I am concerned.
Old 03-24-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mickey65
For Plant, the band died when Bonham did. There was no replacing him. I totally respect Zep for not going on with a replacement for him like other bands do when members die or quit.

Altho there are those who think the band would have sounded like Plant's first solo album had he lived - based on the direction their music was going after their In Thru The Out Door album.
I disagree. No one would have given two shits that Bonham wasn't there if they went on tour in the 80s. They were still in their prime.
Old 03-24-14, 06:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They didn't blow it by not reforming. By not reforming, they've maintained their (undeserved, IMO) legendary status. The Who have reformed time and time again and while they're quite loved, they're not usually considered as great as Zeppelin, despite being much better live (and Townshend being a much better songwriter).
Old 03-24-14, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I disagree. No one would have given two shits that Bonham wasn't there if they went on tour in the 80s. They were still in their prime.
ehhh, their last album favored very heavy into keyboards & disco, i'm sure had Bonham not died, they would of gone full new wave, as that was the go to sound around 81/82 when they would of released new music
Old 03-25-14, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Couldn't disagree more. Not only were they well past their prime, Bonham was just as important to their sound as the rest, if not more. Phil Collins during Live Aid? blech.
Old 03-25-14, 01:17 AM
Banned by request

Phil Collins was actually a great drummer, but he was a prog rocker. He didn't have the thundering propulsion that Bonham brought to the band.
Old 03-25-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Couldn't disagree more. Not only were they well past their prime, Bonham was just as important to their sound as the rest, if not more. Phil Collins during Live Aid? blech.
I saw Jason Bonham and his Led Zeppelin cover band and he sounded fine. Robert Plant was 32 when Bonham died. Page was 36. They had many productive years left. In Through the Out Door seas a perfectly fine album at the time. I recall the massive anticipation of the tour for that album that never happened.

When I watched Celebration Day, I saw missed opportunity. Page was still as vibrant and skilled as ever. Plant, while not able to sing at the same level, was decent enough. John Paul Jones looks like he hasn't aged a day. It made me sad to think what a great show they would have put on 20 years ago for all of us that missed out on that 1980 tour that never happened.
Old 03-25-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Not saying Collins is a bad drummer, just that even a good drummer does not understand Bonham's groove at all, and how integral he was to the band and sorely missed when replaced even with a good drummer. I don't think his son fits in all too well either.
When I watched Celebration Day, I saw missed opportunity. Page was still as vibrant and skilled as ever. Plant, while not able to sing at the same level, was decent enough. John Paul Jones looks like he hasn't aged a day. It made me sad to think what a great show they would have put on 20 years ago for all of us that missed out on that 1980 tour that never happened.
We must have seen different Celebretion Days. I thought it was sad and pathetic. Their last actual concert (Knebworth) was pretty bad, they would've only slid further down.
Old 03-25-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I suppose we have different degrees of tolerance for legends and age. Bob Dylan is pretty much unintelligible these days but his shows are still great. Perhaps we have a difference in age.

Jimmy Page played fantastic in Celebration Day. I'm not sure what was pathetic about it except that they were old. They would not have been as old 20 years ago. There are many, many old guys that still have the fire. I'm usually one to hate revival acts but LZ had something special that was still present in Celebration Day.

And Knebworth was great. Not sure where you get "pretty bad" from.
Old 03-25-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
They didn't blow it by not reforming. By not reforming, they've maintained their (undeserved, IMO) legendary status. The Who have reformed time and time again and while they're quite loved, they're not usually considered as great as Zeppelin, despite being much better live (and Townshend being a much better songwriter).
There's' something to be said for dying at the right time.

I've often wondered what folks like Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, John Lennon, and Kurt Cobain would be doing today.

Would they be retired? Would they still be making music? Would they be making fools of themselves?

Can you imagine an obese, bald Jim Morrison doing the Vegas circuit? Jimi Hendrix campaigning for George W. Bush? Janis Joplin's 'redefining' herself as disco diva?
Old 03-25-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ask Elvis Costello, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, or any number of artists that continued strong careers.

There are old bands that reform and never write any new material worth a damn and embarrass themselves. Then there are actual artists.
Old 03-25-14, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd imagine Jimi Hendrix would be playing with other guitarists like Buddy Guy[a twin bill with those 2 would've been amazing even today imho].
Old 03-25-14, 06:34 PM
Banned by request

Jim Morrison continually embarrassed himself while he was alive, so why would that have changed if he hadn't died when he did?

Jimi I think would have gone on to make far more interesting music (not that his music is uninteresting, I just think those Band of Gypsies recordings were so damn good).

Janis I was never impressed with anyway.

Lennon had a spotty solo career as it was, so I think that would have continued. He was a mercurial guy.

I do think had Zeppelin continued into the '80s and '90s, they wouldn't have nearly as much of the mystique they currently do.
Old 03-28-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Lennon had a spotty solo career as it was, so I think that would have continued. He was a mercurial guy.
The Beatles would have probably reunited for Live AID.
Old 03-29-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Phil Collins was actually a great drummer, but he was a prog rocker. He didn't have the thundering propulsion that Bonham brought to the band.
Listen to the drum duets with Chester Thompson on the 1977 live album Seconds Out. Collins was an incredibly powerful drummer in his prime

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SXb0jr925gY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-29-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

John Paul Jones looks like he hasn't aged a day.
One of the most underrated musicians.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o7pOpokFYgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-23-14, 03:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27113822

Some extra tracks, it seems.
Old 04-23-14, 03:07 AM
Mod Emeritus

From the BBC article

Legendary rock group Led Zeppelin have released two previously unheard recordings ahead of the reissue of the band's first three albums in June.

The two tracks - blues classic Keys to the Highway, recorded in 1970, and an early version of the famous song Whole Lotta Love - are among dozens of tracks which the band will officially release alongside the reissues.

The companion discs will feature alternative versions of songs, works in progress and live performances, all recorded at the time of the original albums.

The tracks, like hundreds of others, had been carefully catalogued but then locked away in the the band's archive for decades.

Guitarist Jimmy Page, 70, has spent two-and-a-half years combing through the vaults, listening to hundreds of quarter-inch tapes before choosing the best material.
Page promises "lots of surprises" on the three reissues, which are part of a plan to reissue all nine of the band's studio albums in chronological order.

But he has scotched rumours that there will be versions of songs featuring bass and keyboard player John Paul Jones on vocals.

For a band that broke up in 1980, following the death of the drummer John Bonham, interest in Led Zeppelin remains intense.

The surviving members reunited seven years ago for a concert at London's O2. But fans will be disappointed if they are hoping there will be another one.

Page says: "I'm sure people would love to hear it. I'm not the one to be asking, I don't sing."

Plant, however, is unequivocal. The chances of the band performing live again are, he says rolling his eyes, "zero".
Selected quotes for those that may not be able to visit the BBC site from work (or whatever).
Old 04-23-14, 07:51 PM
Banned by request

I'm amazed they didn't claim to have written Keys to the Highway themselves.
Old 04-24-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy should stand behind all the unreleased yardbirds stuff too but he'd rather you not know about that.
Old 05-13-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

From the NY Daily News online edition:

Led Zeppelin ‘Deluxe Editions’ revealed as Jimmy Page previews eight tracks — and there’s a whole lot to love.

By Jim Farber

First three of the band's seminal albums will be re-released, with bonus tracks and never-before-heard songs, on June 3. The News gets a preview with rock god Page.

There’s a whole lot to love about the forthcoming Led Zeppelin “Deluxe Editions” album series.

Eight never-before-heard tracks - plucked from a retrospective series of the band’s entire catalogue - were revealed Tuesday at a press event hosted by guitarist Jimmy Page.

“It’s so joyous, this music,” Page said in the conference room of the Crosby Street Hotel in Soho. “It was terrific to listen to it all again.”

He has been listening for several years now. Holed up in London’s Olympic Studios, Page reviewed every alternate take of Zeppelin’s sacred trove of songs. Enough of them exist for Page to term his mission “an epic task.”

All that work will pay off with the re-release of reworked versions of all nine Zep albums this year — with the first three classics arriving on June 3. Each of the original works will be paired with a second full set filled with radically different takes on the classic versions.

Page described the series as “a portal into the times when these were tracks were recorded.”

He’s particularly proud of one cut that’s never been heard in any form before — a surreal refiguring of the blues standard “Key To The Highway.” It will be included on the “Led Zeppelin III” set.

It’s tricked-out in the style of the last song from the original disc, “Hats Off To Roy Harper.” Both feature a stripped acoustic guitar, piercing harmonica and a highly tremulous vocal from frontman Robert Plant.

“It’s an approach to the blues that’s not how other people had done it,” Page said.

That’s a central part of the whole Zeppelin gestalt. Starting in 1968, the British foursome infused American blues with its own avant-garde chord-structures and Celtic folk influences. Page, Plant, drummer John Bonham and bassist John Paul Jones also broadened it with a level of heaviness that lent music new weight.

The eight “new” songs that Page revealed Tuesday featured two from Led Zeppelin’s first album, two from “Led Zeppelin II” and four from the band’s third, and strangest, work.

Since no alternate tracks exist from the band’s debut, the second disc for that set features a full live concert taped in Paris by a French radio station. It’s tinny in sound but brimming with energy. The version of “Communication Breakdown” expands to twice the length of the studio’s take, and includes a blistering new solo. A live version of “You Shook Me” strips the sound down to a deep blues grind.

From Zeppelin’s second work, Page unfurled fresh takes on “Heartbreaker” and “Whole Lotta Love.” The former boasts a completely different guitar cadenza in the famous break, with a looser, funkier turn on the lead.

The latter differs to a revelatory degree from the “Whole” we all know and love. It’s far longer, with a greatly enhanced “freak out” mid-section. Here, Bonham’s ghostly cymbal work has even greater abstraction, while Plant’s cries of “love” become eerie whispers. Page’s guitar chords have a fresh density in the middle section, and push out from the chorus at an alternate rhythm. It’s a longer, quirkier version - one fans may well cherish as much as the original.

From “Led Zeppelin III,” “Gallows Pole” finds its underpinnings re-imagined. The chords of the main riff resolve in a prettier way and the bass line becomes more prominent. The take also holds its acoustic section longer, giving the whole song a jammier, freer feel.

The album’s blues epic, “Since I Been Loving You,” has a rawer vocal, a more fierce guitar solo and a greater sense of improvisation.

In “Immigrant Song,” the vocal has an eerie new distortion at the end, something that would have been cool to include in the official take.

Hopefully, the complete releases later this year will include as many fresh insights, and fodder for fantasy, as these cuts do. If so, hard core Zeppologists and casual fans will come to think of these “lost” tracks as the band’s Holy Grail.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1790893
Old 05-13-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

All opinions. I LOVE the Who and have seen them live many times, but they are like Salieri to Mozart in "Amadeus". Led Zeppelin was the greatest band ever. They deserve every bit of legend they have. Of course, Plant can't even handle the Zeppelin legend himself, and feels crushed and intimidated by his own band which is a shame.
Old 05-13-14, 09:11 PM
Banned by request

Opinions indeed. Greatest band ever??
Old 05-13-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Opinions indeed. Greatest band ever??
In my opinion, unquestionably.
Old 05-13-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The rumored replacement for Bonzo was Cozy Powell. He would have worked but he also had a bad habit of jumping around bands. he never stayed anywhere for any length of time.

For Zeppelin to survive the 80s they would have had to change. They couldn't do their 70s sound into the 80s. That's how Rush survived. If they released '2112' style material in 1981 instead of 'Moving Pictures', their status would be much, much lower than it is today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.