Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The all things METALLICA thread!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The all things METALLICA thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 214 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: The all things METALLICA thread!

Bob Rock on producing Metallica album

BLACK ALBUM
“The truth is, it’s much like how Motley happened. At the time, Metallica didn’t mean a whole lot to me. I knew about them – I saw skater kids with T-shirts and things – but when I listened to the And Justice album, I said, ‘Where’s the bottom end?’ I didn’t like the sound of it.
“But they flew up to Vancouver with their cassette tape and played me their songs, and I said, ‘Well, this I could do. I know what to do with this.’ Sonically, and in terms of production, I was just trying to make a great record. There was no conception at the beginning like, ‘I’m going to change them.’ We just made a no-compromise record. They wanted to go to the plate with what the album is. Regardless of the fans, we made the best possible record that we could. It wasn’t me guiding them.
“In terms of sonics, that’s what they really wanted from me. They said it to me, from what I did on Dr. Feelgood and Sonic Temple and Bon Jovi and a record I did for The Electric Boys. They loved those albums, and they wanted the power of Dr. Feelgood.
“The thing was, James had songs that he actually had to sing – things like Nothing Else Matters and The Unforgiven. He didn’t know how to sing – all he did before was yell. This was the basis of our friendship. I taught him what I knew. We took the time to get the record to that they wanted and what I wanted.
“I love the Black Album. It’s probably the only record I’ve ever done that made a difference culturally across the board. It changed a lot of things.”
LOAD/RELOAD
“Load was supposed to be a double album of 36 songs. Here, too, the band was different. Bands are kind of like family or a marriage; there’s kids, and everybody’s trying to get the house and whatever. You’re doing this thing, you’ve built the house, but then people have to deal with one another. When I first met Metallica, they were a well-oiled machine working towards being the biggest band in the world. When they accomplished that, it all changed.
“After the Black Album, they were the biggest band in the world. They toured for two years, and then when they got off the road, it was ‘Let’s go make another album.’ But James hadn’t had any time to write. He was writing while we were putting tracks together. With the Black Album, there were demos. Stuff was there. For Load and ReLoad, it was ideas.
“The way they worked, the songs they wrote – it was a new perspective, especially for James. We were doing 36 songs, and, well, he had to write lyrics for all of them. After a year, we had four songs written – we had all the tracks but only four of them were complete – and so the decision was made to cut it in half. I took it to New York so James could concentrate on writing.
“I remember talking to him. ‘What’s going on?’ I asked him. ‘Have you lost inspiration?’ And he looked at me and said, ‘There’s plenty of hate in me left, Bob.’
“I’ve often said that, during my time with Metallica, I never had the same band I had with the Black Album. Everything was different. Which is great – that’s life. You can try to do the same thing as before, but you really can’t.”
ST. ANGER
“St. Anger is a fragmented record by a fragmented band. I just couldn’t do Load, ReLoad, the same sound. I couldn’t set the drums up exactly the same. This is me saying, ‘I can’t do this again.’ And they were fine with that because they were like, ‘We don’t want to do that again.’ They were searching.
“The biggest problem with the record is that we didn’t have James. James didn’t write the songs in the same way he did that made the band successful. He had his issues to deal with, and so we made the best record that we could at that time.
“Also, there was a change in music. Lars was very influenced by System Of A Down, where there are no guitar solos. Guitar solos were changing, too – there was Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine. They weren’t wah-wah, super-fast solos. There were all of these things, and a band that was searching for something different.
“When I heard the band in rehearsal, there was a rawness to them that was really cool. The drum sound on the record is a rehearsal drum sound. It was supposed to be them in a garage. It doesn’t work in terms of the rule of metal, and the rules that people have established for that kind of genre, which basically I kicked against, because it doesn’t mean anything to me. This was my version of The Stooges’ Raw Power, only with Metallica.
“The record had to be made so they could be happy with what they do. I was the sacrificial lamb. I always wanted the band that I had for the Black Album, and I never got that band again. But if people want me to say I regret what I did, I don’t. I made it more as a friend, as somebody who was supporting guys who were struggling. That’s probably not the greatest career move, but I’m fine with it.
“The result of that, the man that James Hetfield is today, was worth it. I’d do it all over exactly the same. He’s a great man and father now, so that’s what’s most important.”
“But two people have come up to me and told me how much they liked St. Anger: Jimmy Page and Jack White. So if two people in the world like the record, and it’s those two people, I’m fine with it.” [Laughs]

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...cords-571683/8
Old 06-10-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

This would have been cool to see

Metallica Surprise Orion Fest With 'Kill 'Em All' Set
By Chris Steffen | Rolling Stone – 12 hours ago

Metallica Surprise Orion Fest With 'Kill 'Em All' Set
It was 4:45 on Saturday afternoon when everyone’s day at the Orion Music + More Fest basically imploded. No matter where you were, either across the field watching Dropkick Murphys or in a tent waiting for Death Grips, when the opening notes of "Hit the Lights" rang out across Detroit’s Belle Isle, there was scarcely an alternative other than to flock to the Damage Inc. stage, where the mysterious band Dehaan turned out to be Metallica performing their 1983 debut, Kill ‘Em All, front to back. James Hetfield walked out as if to introduce this "band from Baltimore," but his hints on Instagram earlier in the week had tipped off that something special would be happening.
Metallica were carefully rehearsing the Kill ‘Em All material when Rolling Stone visited their studio on Tuesday, particularly focusing on playing the songs in their original incarnations, note for note. Even a song like "The Four Horsemen," which the band plays semi-regularly, is typically performed in an abridged version, but on Saturday they restored the entire song, including the melodic bridge that the band refers to as the "Lynyrd Skynyrd part." The no-frills set drew the majority of the crowd to the comparably smaller stage, tucked into the corner of the festival grounds, and all simultaneous stages were briefly suspended to avoid overlap. The quickly surging crowd ate up songs like "Motorbreath" and "Whiplash," and the band delivered the tight, 10-song set without much stage banter, production or hooplah.
Metallica Gear Up for Second Orion Festival
But even if the day peaked there for some, there was still plenty to see, including an energetic, eccentric set from Tomahawk, the Mike Patton-fronted band that specializes in creating a disorienting maelstrom of chaos, and the jubilant reunion of 90s funk metal pioneers Infectious Grooves, featuring Metallica bassist Rob Trujillo, Jane’s Addiction drummer Stephen Perkins, Suicidal Tendencies frontman Mike Muir, and a rare appearance by former Faith No More guitarist Jim Martin. Trujillo was visibly enthused to play in a different style, embracing a slapping technique that would get him kicked out of Metallica if he tried it in that context. He will play another two sets today, with Trujillo Trio and Metallica, putting him in first place for this year’s iron horse award.
Although the night’s ostensible headliners, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, had some of their thunder stolen by Metallica’s surprise performance, they still drew a substantial crowd as the sun began to go down, delivering hits like "Scar Tissue," "Dani California," "Can’t Stop" and their cover of "Higher Ground" early in the set as seagulls began to swarm and create their own circle pits. Several extended jams encouraged a steady trickle towards the exit, as lengthy waits for shuttle service earlier in the day – no cars are allowed on the island – caused some uncertainty among the departing crowd.
One of the big question marks this year was the addition of an EDM-centric stage, which remained nearly full throughout the day, with several DJs dropping in obligatory Metallica samples between relentless bass drops. Hetfield and Trujillo made their first appearance of the day to introduce hometown metal band Battlecross, who delivered a spot-on rendition of Slayer’s "War Ensemble" in tribute to late Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman.
Orion Music + More continues today, featuring sets from the Deftones, Gogol Bordello, Rocket from the Crypt and FIDLAR, and will be capped off by Metallica’s headlining performance. Are Kid Rock and/or Bob Seger in town?
Old 06-10-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I recently listened to St. Anger for the first time in quite a few years. It is as shitty now as it was then.
Old 06-10-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DETROIT, MI
June 9, 2013
Orion Music + More @ Belle Isle

SETLIST
MAIN SET
1. Blackened
2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
3. Disposable Heroes
4. Harvester of Sorrow
5. The Day That Never Comes
6. Carpe Diem Baby
7. I Disappear
8. Sad But True
9. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
10. Orion
11. One
12. Master of Puppets
13. Battery
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
ENCORE
16. Turn the Page
17. Creeping Death
18. Seek & Destroy
Old 06-10-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I recently listened to St. Anger for the first time in quite a few years. It is as shitty now as it was then.
But Jimmy Page likes it!
Old 06-10-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

He was probably just being nice.
Old 06-10-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing how someone like Rob can remember how to play so many songs.

Same goes for Metallica. I'm still flabbergasted over all the time and effort that went into the 30th anniversary shows.
Old 06-27-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...nounced_/12041
Old 06-28-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool interview w/ James

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zIDmoZMM4R0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-21-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ROSKILDE, DENMARK
July 6, 2013
Roskilde Festival

MAIN SET
1. Blackened
3. Disposable Heroes
4. Harvester of Sorrow
5. The Day That Never Comes
6. Carpe Diem Baby
7. I Disappear
8. Sad But True
9. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
10. Orion
11. One
12. Master of Puppets
13. Battery
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
ENCORE
16. Fuel
17. Creeping Death
18. Seek & Destroy

SAN DIEGO, CA
July 19, 2013
Spreckles Theatre
Comic-Con

MAIN SET
1. Creeping Death
3. Fuel
4. Ride the Lightning
5. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
6. Sad But True
7. One
8. Master of Puppets
9. Blackened
10. Nothing Else Matters
11. Enter Sandman
ENCORE
12. Last Caress
13. Seek & Destroy
Old 07-21-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Metallica Blows the Roof Off Comic-Con With 'Through the Never' Trailer and Concert

The band makes their highly anticipated debut at the convention and premieres a new scene from "Metallica Through the Never."

It had to be the one of the loudest Hall H panels in Comic-Con history, if not the loudest.

Metallica, in one of the most highly anticipated panels this year, made their first-ever appearance at the pop culture convention to preview their new film, 'Metallica Through the Never: An IMAX 3D Experience.'

"This is f---ing awesome," said Metallica's drummer, Lars Ulrich, as the band was greeted with a thunderous standing ovation from a near capacity Hall H.

Ulrich was joined onstage by bandmates James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett and Robert Trujillo, and by the film's star Dane DeHaan, writer-director Nimrod Antal, and producer Charlotte Huggins.

The panel got off to an adrenaline-rushing start with the premiere of the new theatrical poster and trailer for the film, which featured more Metallica and more post-apocalyptic violence than the teaser released in May. The pulse-pounding bass line in the trailer literally shook the seats in Hall H, much to the crowd's delight.

When asked how he got involved with the film, Antal jokingly said he "had the most compromising photos of the band," then added, "I was approached by Charlotte and she wanted to bring in a narrative element [to a concert film] and was looking for a collaborative partner. It seemed like a challenge."

He continued, "When f---ing Metallica calls you, you go."

Huggins added, "I sat down with [the band] and they immediately presented an idea, which included this amazing stage, so I thought it was really interesting. The idea was to do a narrative movie where a concert takes place."

DeHaan, the youngest on the panel and the film's hero, said as a child his parents wouldn't let him listen to Metallica, saying that they made it a point to listen to anything he wanted to first to make sure it was appropriate.

"I started listening to [the band] when I was working on 'The Place Beyond the Pines,'" he said. This was months before he saw the script to 'Through the Never,' which he says "was 15 pages of nothing but paragraphs and paragraphs of story, I didn't have any lines at all."

"Nimrod let me know what the film means to him," he added. "I go on this journey for a bag in the movie. And [the film] is about what you would go through for someone you love. And I got to hang out with Metallica for three weeks!"

The film features a monstrous stage that nearly takes up the whole floor of Vancouver's Rogers Arena, where the band performs in the film.

"The stage was the first part of all of it," said Hetfield. Adding that the band treated the concerts as a film shoot, sometimes starting and stopping for multiple takes, sometime performing full sets during their five shows at Rogers Arena.

"The stage is the star of the film," added Ulrich. "Making a movie about a stage, and then bringing it to the people is a cool idea."

Hammett chimed in, saying, "It's the biggest stage you'll ever see anywhere."

The audience was also treated to a never-before-seen scene from the film that featured more post-apocalyptic mayhem. The band's blistering song "Cyanide" serves as the scene's backdrop. We see DeHaan's character, Trip, witness a rampage against riot police as he decides to get himself involved in the action. Again, the seats and the rafters shook.

Unfortunately, the audience questions were more fanboy-ish than substantive about the making of the film, much to the band's frustration, with Ulrich having to ask, "Does anyone have a question about the film?!"

Also complicating things was a mishap with a lottery for tickets to tonight's secret show by the band, which nearly caused a riot of sorts, but was soon rectified. Again, this was much to the band's frustration.

Ulrich did say that the band will "probably" start work on a new studio album in 2014 followed by a tour. "We've had a couple of jams at HQ. [Next year] we'll be all about a new Metallica record. In about another year and a half you'll probably see one."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...er-trailer-and
Old 07-21-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Through The Never Movie News... And Lots Of It!

Greetings from Comic-Con

Hello from sunny San Diego and our first ever Comic-Con visit. We are so psyched to be here and what a wild ride it has been! We just wrapped up chatting with some of you during our panel with the star of the film, Dane DeHaan, Producer Charlotte Huggins, and Director/Writer Nimrod Antal and it was beyond thrilling to have an audience of over 6,500 watch our first official theatrical trailer with us. Now we have it streaming here for you to check out too.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N4IhWJ8r7_4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The big news today is that if you would like to be among the first to see the film in all its IMAX 3D glory on September 27 tickets are available now, including advance 10:00pm and midnight screenings the night before! Reserve your spot at your favorite local theatre by clicking here to purchase advance tickets online and if you do not see your closest IMAX theatre listed, please contact them for more information.

If you clicked above, you probably also noticed that we have a fancy new movie website, ThroughTheNeverMovie.com. As you can see, it's still in the early stages, but will be your home for previews, behind the scenes photos and videos, all the news about when and where the movie will be showing and how to get tickets, where we'll be as we embark on this adventure, and lots of other tidbits. Keep watching for there for all things Through The Never and of course we'll keep you updated here on metallica.com.

Finally, the official movie poster also makes its first appearance tonight. We've got it posted here for you to check out.

Old 07-21-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Good stuff from the panel. Sad I didnt win tickets to the show
Today made up for it as I got Kirk to sign a few things and get pictures with him.

Pretty pumped about the movie. From the trailer and the 5min footage they showed, it looks like fun.
Was hoping they would hand out the poster. It's pretty kick ass.
Old 07-31-13, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Additions To The iTunes Catalog

For those of you who like to take your video with you, we are excited to announce that six of our titles are now available on iTunes for digital download for the first time ever.

Visit iTunes to download Français Pour une Nuit (Live from Nimes, France), Orgullo, Pasión, y Gloria: Tres Noches en la Ciudad de México (Live from Mexico City), Cunning Stunts, S&M, Live Shit: Binge & Purge, and A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica. Currently these titles are available in North America... keep your eyes peeled here for news about the rest of the world coming soon.
Old 07-31-13, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Through The Never - The Soundtrack

No surprises with this announcement – yes boys and girls, there will be a soundtrack to the upcoming 3D film release Metallica Through The Never, released on our very own label, Blackened Recordings. Look for the digital release and the two CD set to be available on September 24 with vinyl in both 33 1/3 RPM and a special limited, numbered deluxe 45 RPM versions later this Fall. The soundtrack includes 15 songs recorded live in Edmonton and Vancouver in August of 2012 while we were filming the performance footage in the movie.

Metallica Through The Never (Music from the Motion Picture) will be available for digital pre-order tonight at midnight EDT on iTunes. You can pre-order the CD now in the Met Store. See below for a complete track listing.

Disc One
The Ecstasy of Gold, Creeping Death, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fuel, Ride the Lightning, One, The Memory Remains, Wherever I May Roam, Cyanide, ...And Justice for All

Disc Two
Master of Puppets, Battery, Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman, Hit the Lights, Orion
Old 08-02-13, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$9.99
http://www.amazon.com/Metallica-Thro...ever+metallica
Old 08-16-13, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BACK OSAKA, JAPAN
August 11, 2013
Maishima Summer Sonic Osaka Site
SETLIST
MAIN SET
1. Hit the Lights
2. Master of Puppets
3. Ride the Lightning
4. Harvester of Sorrow
5. Fade to Black
6. The Memory Remains
7. Cyanide
8. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
9. Sad But True
10. ...And Justice for All
11. One
12. For Whom the Bell Tolls
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
ENCORE
16. Creeping Death
17. Battery
18. Seek & Destroy

BACK SHANGHAI, CHINA
August 13, 2013
Mercedes-Benz Arena
SETLIST
MAIN SET
1. Hit the Lights
3. Fuel
4. Harvester of Sorrow
6. Broken, Beat & Scarred
7. The Memory Remains
8. Wherever I May Roam
9. The Unforgiven
10. Sad But True
11. Orion
12. Fade to Black
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
ENCORE
16. Breadfan
17. Motorbreath
18. Seek & Destroy

BACK SHANGHAI, CHINA
August 14, 2013
Mercedes-Benz Arena
SETLIST
MAIN SET
1. Hit the Lights
3. The Shortest Straw
4. Harvester of Sorrow
6. Broken, Beat & Scarred
7. Leper Messiah
8. Wherever I May Roam
9. The Unforgiven
10. Sad But True
11. ...And Justice for All
12. Fade to Black
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
ENCORE
16. Stone Cold Crazy
17. Whiplash
18. Seek & Destroy
Old 08-17-13, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Metallica film new documentary footage in Shanghai
Lars Ulrich reveals new filming plan plus discusses piracy

Metallica have revealed they filmed new documentary footage during their recent trip to Shanghai and are currently planning how to release it to fans.

The metal titans played two gigs in the Chinese city, at the Mercedes-Benz Arena, on Tuesday and Wednesday (August 13 and 14) this week. Drummer Lars Ulrich explained that they hadn’t decided how they would release the footage yet, but said that they would try and make it "shareable and worth everybody’s while".

With the band speaking at a press conference, Time Out Shanghaireports that Ulrich said: "Being here in this wonderful country and feeling the energy and excitement, the idea came up to celebrate it and to try to document it and to try to get the experience out. As you know, there are a lot of you [Shanghai fans] and there may be 20,000 of you who came to this arena... so we figured that if we filmed and shared the experience then maybe we could get to more of you and maybe there could be a next level relationship between Metallica and China that could last for decades."

He added: "We're excited about that and we think that there is something cool that will come out of it. Whatever that is, we're not quite sure yet, but we'll do our best to make it shareable and worth everybody's while."

The drummer, who has famously been vocal about his anti-copyright infringement stance, also spoke about how he was trying not to get worked up about the infamous copyright issues in China: "The one thing increasingly that we focus our energies on is trying to discern between what we can control and what we can't control," he said. "I'd rather FaceTime with my kids or do something else. That's a whole separate conversation about Chinese copyright issues. You can't control that so you just turn a blind side to it as best you can."

NME.com
Old 09-23-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Exit Sandman http://www.metallica.com/news/20130922-538814.asp
Old 09-23-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z93Cq8v2feo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-24-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get your BLACKENED RECORDINGS re-issues!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...egories&nrp=15
Old 09-24-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Love the the packaging of THROUGH THE NEVER, was expecting a standard 2CD jewel case, but got something very
Old 09-25-13, 06:48 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Get your BLACKENED RECORDINGS re-issues!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...egories&nrp=15
Have these been remixed and remastered? Do they fix the bass in Justice? I'm curious what improvements have been made to these releases.
Old 09-25-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

YES & YES!

KILL, LIGHTNING, & PUPPETS: Bass has been re-recorded by Rob [YES!].
JUSTICE: Jason's bass parts have been properly mixed in now and touched up by Jason himself [YES!]
BLACK ALBUM: Untouched It's fucking perfect!
LOAD/RELOAD: Bluesy Riffs have been replaced with St. Anger outtakes.

Spoiler:
just kidding, they're the same releases from before, just cheaper fan-friendly price under new label. The remastered/expanded multi-disc versions will come at a later date
Old 09-25-13, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

love ORION from TTN, it's awesome!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.