Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me decide between learning bass or guitar

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Help me decide between learning bass or guitar

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Help me decide between learning bass or guitar

Originally Posted by wendersfan
My best friend's kid took up guitar about a year ago and is absolutely mad for it. He's like 13 or 14 and texts me all the time asking about tunings and truss rod adjustment and this and that. It's hilarious. Apparently he's gone from learning Metallica riffs and is now, as of a few hours ago, into Blink 182. I feel for my friend.
4/4 gets the chicks.
Old 06-08-20, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

If you play bass (or especially drums), you have your choice of bands to play in. GOOD guitarists are a dime-a-dozen, so unless you excel you'll have a tough time finding a band that needs a guitarist (I'm a half-assed guitarist, and was sacked from the only band I was in that really had potential. They replaced me with someone better). Yes, you can start your own band, but you'll spend half the time trying to find a bass player and drummer, and the other half replacing the bass player or drummer who just flaked on you.
Old 06-09-20, 07:13 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
If you play bass (or especially drums), you have your choice of bands to play in. GOOD guitarists are a dime-a-dozen, so unless you excel you'll have a tough time finding a band that needs a guitarist (I'm a half-assed guitarist, and was sacked from the only band I was in that really had potential. They replaced me with someone better). Yes, you can start your own band, but you'll spend half the time trying to find a bass player and drummer, and the other half replacing the bass player or drummer who just flaked on you.
You just described 90% of my musical 'career', dating back into the '80s.
Old 06-12-20, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

In practice, this is only really true if the band is not famous (nor semi-famous).

If a band is famous enough, the lead singer frequently holds all the cards. Everybody else can be easily "replaced" with no shortage of applicants auditioning for a famous (or semi-famous) band.
Old 06-13-20, 11:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm guessing the OP never learned anything since he was assassinated.
Old 06-15-20, 07:14 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
In practice, this is only really true if the band is not famous (nor semi-famous).

If a band is famous enough, the lead singer frequently holds all the cards. Everybody else can be easily "replaced" with no shortage of applicants auditioning for a famous (or semi-famous) band.
True, but somehow I doubt Tom Morello or Eddie Vedder lurk here in the Music Forum.
Old 02-23-24, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Old 02-24-24, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stand by my 2020 post.

In 2022, I went on several auditions for a guitarist and got turned down at all of them. Found some guys on Craigslist who needed a bassist and got the gig, even though I literally didn't own a bass. Went out and bought a $95 Harley Benton Jazz Bass and $150 Fender Rumble bass amp. Long story short, we've played about 20 gigs in the last year and are in the process of mixing our first EP.
The following 4 users liked this post by Paff:
[email protected] (02-24-24), andicus (02-24-24), cultshock (02-25-24), etching (02-26-24)
Old 02-27-24, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through a similar debate and ended up choosing the guitar first because of its versatility in playing rhythm and lead parts. However, I later picked up the bass and found its groove and backbone role in bands to be equally satisfying. Neither is inherently more difficult to learn; it's more about what kind of music you want to make and how you want to express yourself.
Old 02-28-24, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

My 18 year old daughter has been playing the electric bass for three years. She really enjoys is (takes lessons and plays in the high school jazz band) but she recently started teaching herself guitar because she's also a singer and wants to accompany herself. I was afraid she was going to put the bass aside in favor of the guitar when she goes to college but she's taking her basses with her and is interested in seeing if she can find a band in her college town. It's been a cool instrument to have in the house.
Old 02-29-24, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on what kind of music she wants to play, Draves, but I'm sure she'll have no problem finding the band of her choice. Especially if she's into rock and roll. I don't know the jazz bass crowd, and I imagine they'd be snobs and demand it be an upright bass. But like I said a few years ago, you play bass or drums, you're in immediate demand.
The following users liked this post:
Draven (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 07:23 AM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I play ukulele and I'm good enough to play electric rhythm uke in an ensemble, it's been fun.
Old 03-01-24, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Depends on what kind of music she wants to play, Draves, but I'm sure she'll have no problem finding the band of her choice. Especially if she's into rock and roll. I don't know the jazz bass crowd, and I imagine they'd be snobs and demand it be an upright bass. But like I said a few years ago, you play bass or drums, you're in immediate demand.
I agree about the upright (that was my experience growing up singing in a jazz choir) but her high school has a fantastic jazz program and in all four groups, they have electric bass players (and they are all girls too). I guess it’s the thing now.

But yes, she’d probably look for a pop/rock group.
Old 03-01-24, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just trying to imagine JK Simmons' string of expletives if you walked into his Studio Jazz room with a Fender Precision
The following users liked this post:
Draven (03-01-24)