Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bands Or Artists You Used To Love, But Now You Hate

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Are there any bands or music artists that you were a fan of in the past, but now when you hear them, you just want to turn it off?
Old 08-27-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Bands Or Artists You Used To Love, But Now You Hate

In Flames. Their first five albums were masterpieces. Now they are a disappointment that surpasses even Metallica.
Old 08-28-12, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
In Flames. Their first five albums were masterpieces. Now they are a disappointment that surpasses even Metallica.
If this is what the OP meant, then I have to agree with this one. I first got in to In Flames around the time Reroute was released, but I got in to their earlier work, not so much that album. And while we're on (former) Swedish melodic death metal bands, Soilwork started putting out some really poor material after Natural Born Chaos

I'll throw in Pain of Salvation, too. I got in to them around the time Remedy Lane was released, and it's still my favorite album of theirs. Unfortunately, their last 3 albums (and EP) have ranged from comically bad to boring and cringe-worthy. I was hoping that Scarsick was just a little (or giant) misstep, but then everything they've done since then has been even worse.

Last edited by Apple Gooncha; 08-28-12 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't hate Coldplay, but after X&Y, my interest in them has waned.
Old 08-28-12, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Hate is a strong word, but I'll toss in a few classic bands like AC/DC, Zeppelin, Kiss. Went through a phase with all of them but when they come on the radio now I typically turn it. I don't dislike any of them, I just got my fill.

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
If this is what the OP meant, then I have to agree with this one. I first got in to In Flames around the time Reroute was released, but I got in to their earlier work, not so much that album.

I'll throw in Pain of Salvation, too. I got in to them around the time Remedy Lane was released, and it's still my favorite album of theirs. Unfortunately, their last 3 albums (and EP) have ranged from comically bad to boring and cringe-worthy. I was hoping that Scarsick was just a little (or giant) misstep, but then everything they've done since then has been even worse.
I couldn't disagree more. I know Scarsick turned a lot of people off, but I love it because it is different than the usual PoS stuff. Just listened to it yesterday actually.

Then Road Salt I & II have kind of a pre-Scarsick vibe to them but with the single nature of Scarsick instead of grandiose concept piece.

When I'm feeling like some PoS I usually toss on one of those 3 albums.
Old 08-28-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't think of any bands I used to love but now hate, but can think of some I used to hate but now like, if not love.
Old 08-28-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Metallica
Old 08-28-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kara's Flowers. They weren't bad, but they weren't that great either. A few good songs, but entirely forgettable.

But then they became Maroon 5, and I've hated all their music. I didn't know for until recently that they were the same band.
Old 08-28-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Aerosmith
Old 08-28-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Marilyn Manson - I still like some of his old material, but his whole shtick is so old and laughable at this point. I saw him in concert in 2006, and I felt like a douche the entire time because he's just so bad at being shocking or interesting or intelligent or scary or whatever he thinks he is.

Korn - Again, old material was great at a point in time, but they've done nothing but put out shit for the past decade.

Nirvana - I wouldn't say I hate them now, but I just find I can't stand listening to them anymore.
Old 08-28-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The motherfucking Eagles. Ugh. Feh. Swill.
Old 08-28-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Erasure and Pet Shop Boys.

How embarrasing to admit. Please don't tell a soul.
Old 08-28-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Hate is a bit extreme, but I can't handle most of what falls into nu-metal any more. I have no problem with other music that had it's own time, but nu-metal just grates on me now. There are some that I can still listen to, though.

I skip over a lot of the punk I used to listen to, as well.

I imagine it mostly has to do with the generally shoddy production for those two genres, simplistic composition, as well as the overbearing faux-angst. I grew up and found more appealing artists and genres.

In Flames is a good answer, though. It's unfortunate how far they've fallen from their greatness, while becoming more popular than ever. At least they still put on a pretty good show.
Old 08-28-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A lot of the stuff I used to like sounds pretty dated now. It's still good music, just i wouldn't listen to it now.

Lots of obscure dreampop/shoegaze stuff (example: Chapterhouse)
Some of the non-classic early-period grunge (example: L7)
Most hip hop (example: Paris)

Of course, for each of these genres I have other examples that continue to stand the test of time (My Bloody Valentine, Soundgarden, Tribe Called Quest). Also, some music that sounded dated back then now sounds completely awesome again (example: Ultravox).
Old 08-28-12, 05:20 PM

Radiohead. If I want to listen to new Radiohead I will just fill my mouth with marbles and try to sing over the TV while I have the Atari on.
Old 08-28-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't HATE Sting's solo stuff, but he seemed to lose all interest in the rock, ska and reggae of his early years--which made me lose a lot of interest in him.
Old 08-28-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^Aww cmon, Dream of the Blue Turtles was a fantastic album!

Although he started to lose me after that...
Old 08-28-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
^Aww cmon, Dream of the Blue Turtles was a fantastic album!

Although he started to lose me after that...
You're right, his first solo one was quite good.
Old 08-28-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Marilyn Manson - I still like some of his old material, but his whole shtick is so old and laughable at this point. I saw him in concert in 2006, and I felt like a douche the entire time because he's just so bad at being shocking or interesting or intelligent or scary or whatever he thinks he is.

Korn - Again, old material was great at a point in time, but they've done nothing but put out shit for the past decade.
Agreed on both.

I was a HUGE Manson fan when he first came out. After Antichrist Superstar, I just completely lost interest. I haven't really listened to anything in its entirety since then.

As for Korn the release of Unbreakables is where I abandoned ship. Just terrible.
Old 08-28-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
If this is what the OP meant, then I have to agree with this one. I first got in to In Flames around the time Reroute was released, but I got in to their earlier work, not so much that album. And while we're on (former) Swedish melodic death metal bands, Soilwork started putting out some really poor material after Natural Born Chaos
Oh man you are not kidding. "Sworn..." was awful because Wichers left the band. And he's since returned and left again. I don't even want to think about the next record. I think they are done.

Aerosmith, good call.

KMFDM is another. 'Nihil' was just all kinds of brilliant. Nothing gets my motor revving like 'Ultra.' But since Gunther and En Esch left and Lucia took over, it's just been all kinds of mediocrity album after album, and the last album was terrible.

Another note... Jello Biafra. The man was mah ***** (to quote Denzel) back when I was in college. Now he's just shrill, bitter, and hysterical. And add self-loathing. His new band has an album called "White People and the Damage Done." I just feel bad for him at this point. Compare that to Henry Rollins, who has become something of a funny-yet-still-bitter sage, almost Carlin-like, who can reach a much wider audience without a blatant sellout.
Old 08-28-12, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Both of Biafra's albums with the Melvins were great, and the first release from Guantanamo School Of Medicine was good also. Those are all fairly recent output.
Old 08-30-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
KMFDM is another. 'Nihil' was just all kinds of brilliant. Nothing gets my motor revving like 'Ultra.' But since Gunther and En Esch left and Lucia took over, it's just been all kinds of mediocrity album after album, and the last album was terrible.
I gave them a good few albums post-reformation, but I got to admit their albums have become overly "samey". "Attak" & "WWIII" really have the saving grace of Raymond Watts songs, which are always a treat.

But I think the moment where I gave up was on "Hau Ruck. I'm giving this album a listen or two and the song "Real Thing" plays, and I think to myself "This sounds like a sweet Garbage song!".
Old 08-31-12, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bone Thugs N Harmony comes to mind.
Old 08-31-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nirvana, Alice in Chains
Metal bands like Metallica, Pantera, etc.

not sure I "hate" them but I don't listen to it anymore...I was 14
Old 08-31-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Guns N Roses... ok maybe just Axl

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.