Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bluegrass/Folk legend Doc Watson dead at 89

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The manager of Grammy-winning folk musician Doc Watson says the artist has died. He was 89.

Mitchell Greenhill said in a news release that Watson died Tuesday at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital Medical Center in Winston-Salem, N.C. A hospital spokeswoman also confirmed Watson's death.

Watson was a master flatpicker, playing his acoustic guitar at lightning speeds that could intimidate other musicians. The blind musician also sang and played other instruments, including the harmonica.

His many awards include the National Medal of the Arts in 1997 and the lifetime achievement award from the Grammys in 2004. His albums earned seven other Grammys.

Watson was also known for Merlefest, an annual gathering of musicians in Wilkesboro named after his son, who died in a tractor accident in 1985.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...#ixzz1wFrJps2A

Doc was one of my all time musical heroes. I saw him play at Bluegrass festivals more times than I can count. My fondest memories are of the times he'd join Bill Monroe onstage to recreate the sounds of Bill & Charlie, the Monroe Brothers. It would be just the two of them, guitar and mandolin with Doc singing Charlie's part.

Rest in peace, Doc.