Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Wow, if it wasn't for their HIT SONGS, I don't think I'd care for THE ROLLING STONES

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Wow, if it wasn't for their HIT SONGS, I don't think I'd care for THE ROLLING STONES

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 05:48 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Wow, if it wasn't for their HIT SONGS, I don't think I'd care for THE ROLLING STO

I used to like The Rolling Stones' early stuff (2000 Light Years From Home, She Comes In Colors), but I can't STAND their newer stuff, can't STAND 'Beast Of Burden' or 'Angie', that shit just makes me cringe when I hear it. Their early stuff was OK, but even though I have almost 500 albums in my collection, I don't have a single LP (or cassette or CD) by The Rolling Stones and I don't care to own any... -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 05-22-12 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-22-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Wow, if it wasn't for their HIT SONGS, I don't think I'd care for THE ROLLING STO

I remember the first time I saw Rock and Roll Circus and I was like "Who the hell is that blonde guy playing with the Stones?"

Yeah, I found out that was Brian Jones.

The Stones sound did change going into the '70s, but I'm one who doubts that was due to Brian Jones being gone and is more likely the evolution of the band.
Old 05-22-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, clearly it was the evolution of the band. Brian Jones output in the band had all but dried up before he was booted and died. The sound was changing even while Brian was there.

I think it was inevitable that he would leave due in part to the back seat he was forced to take. I do, however, think that he could have been a great solo artist if he decided to do more songwriting. He never felt very secure in his writing abilities but I'm sure he could have worked it out.
Old 05-22-12, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I used to like The Rolling Stones' early stuff (2000 Light Years From Home, She Comes In Colors), but I can't STAND their newer stuff Beast Of Burden' or 'Angie', that shit just makes me cringe when I hear it. -kd5-
newer stuff 40 year old "new stuff."
Old 05-22-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The Rolling Stones weren't like The Beatles. While The Beatles were John and Paul's band, they encouraged George and Ringo throughout the band's career.
The Beatles were John's band, actually, and John and Paul didn't really give the encouragement you mentioned to George's songs, because George was basically on his own. John certaiinly didn't help, although Paul may have had a tad more influence...but the magic wasn't there on George's compositions (at least, not until Abbey Road), and that's because Paul and John were off working on their own stuff.

And the Beatles were vicious with one another towards the end...John was tired of being Paul's back-up musician in the band, after all, and that don't sound like a bloke who's happy with his mates. Paul turned into a control-freak.

And if you don't think Mick and Keith turned into control-freaks early on after they started writing the band's hits, you got another think coming.
Old 05-22-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

John Lennon said to Brian Jones in 1968 or '69 that Brian should branch off and start a new band on his own, that he had the talent to do so (Brian had, after all, played that excellent sax solo on The Beatles song You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)), but Brian turned up dead in his swimming pool not too long after that conversation.

Hail, Brian.
Old 05-22-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
newer stuff 40 year old "new stuff."
Tattoo You is 31 years old. I still consider that "newer" Stones

(I bought that record with my birthday money. Loved "Start Me Up" when I heard it on Solid Gold. My brother explained to me what T&A meant. I was flabbergasted!)
Old 05-22-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's an area of houses near my old homestead in the Bronx that, when it was built in 1978, was dubbed by us kids, "The New Houses."

30+ years later, there are even newer developments around the old homestead in the Bronx, but that one little development done in '78 is still called by us grown-kids "The New Houses."

Some impressions never change as we grow - certainly music is no exception to this, so I concer with you, Hokeyboy. Point taken.
Old 05-22-12, 08:51 PM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Get Your Ya-Yas Out for the live version of Midnight Rambler. The studio version is great but ya gotta hear the live version too.
Old 05-22-12, 08:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Beatles were John's band, actually, and John and Paul didn't really give the encouragement you mentioned to George's songs, because George was basically on his own. John certaiinly didn't help, although Paul may have had a tad more influence...but the magic wasn't there on George's compositions (at least, not until Abbey Road), and that's because Paul and John were off working on their own stuff.

And the Beatles were vicious with one another towards the end...John was tired of being Paul's back-up musician in the band, after all, and that don't sound like a bloke who's happy with his mates. Paul turned into a control-freak.

And if you don't think Mick and Keith turned into control-freaks early on after they started writing the band's hits, you got another think coming.
The Beatles were vicious to each other at the end when they were breaking up. Mick and Keith bared their teeth much earlier on.
Old 05-22-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JANK
Get Your Ya-Yas Out for the live version of Midnight Rambler. The studio version is great but ya gotta hear the live version too.
Funny you should mention Midnight Rambler, which originally appeared in 1969's Let It Bleed album - and it was the last album Brian Jones appeared on, as he played on the song. It was "fitting," too, since Jones was always pushing for more blues-orientated recordings, and he got to appear on a great one before he was let go from the band.

(I know it isn't his last Stones recording, but it was the last official album Jones appeared on.)
Old 05-22-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will we ever get a version of The Rolling Stones doing their hit As Tears Go By without the strings? I'd love to just hear it with the guitar pickins'.

I found a version of The Beatles Yesterday without strings - Just McCartney strumming away on his guitar, and it's fantastic as a standalone. And I'm not talking about the version found on "Anthology," either, as that is an alternative version. But the official version sans strings.
Old 05-23-12, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Mick Taylor has often spoken about how Keith would be incredibly vicious to him throughout his tenure with the band.
Taylor has gotten his revenge, and regularly takes it to bank. He was made an official member of the Stones. He has received an equal share of all the money the Stones(as an economic entity) have earned since he left. Not just from recordings he's on, he received just as much from the later tours and albums as the rest of them, even more than Ron Wood earned from them.
This irks Mick and Keith so much they decided "never again" and have never made Ron Wood an official member of the band. He's hired help. He's paid session fee(albeit a high one) for playing on the recordings, and hired to go on tour with them just like any other muscians they hire to go with them.
Old 05-23-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After reading this thread I re-listened to Exile yesterday. Still pretty much a chore to get through for me. "Rocks Off" is an okay opener. "Tumbling Dice" is actually a pretty good song and "Sweet Virginia" isn't bad. Around "Ventilator Blues" I'm checking my watch and then really anxious for it to end around "Stop Breaking Down." I don't think it's ever going to click for me.
Old 05-23-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
After reading this thread I re-listened to Exile yesterday. Still pretty much a chore to get through for me. "Rocks Off" is an okay opener. "Tumbling Dice" is actually a pretty good song and "Sweet Virginia" isn't bad. Around "Ventilator Blues" I'm checking my watch and then really anxious for it to end around "Stop Breaking Down." I don't think it's ever going to click for me.
It's just not your thing and you are definitely not alone in that opinion. There is nothing wrong with that. Maybe you should just make a short version with what you like.

Shit, I can't count all the people telling me to listen to OK, Kid and the Bends by Radiohead as they are 'so great.' I've tried many times and I can't stand it.
Oh well.
Old 05-23-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian Jones had been sidelined within The Stones since 1965. Originally The Stones were his band. It was a blues band, he was the leader, and that was it. Then their manager encouraged Mick and Keith to write rock songs and within a year Jones was relegated to being a sideman in his own band. This is actually way he's playing so many different instruments, because Mick and Keith would push him off in a corner and he'd mess around with stuff while they wrote.

Jones lost himself in drugs long before he died. He barely plays on Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed because he had no interest in coming to the sessions and no one wanted him there when he did show up. Keith plays almost all the guitar parts on Let It Bleed.

The Rolling Stones weren't like The Beatles. While The Beatles were John and Paul's band, they encouraged George and Ringo throughout the band's career. The Stones were vicious to each other. Mick and Keith picked on Brian relentlessly. I read an anecdote about how once Charlie Watts made a suggestion and Mick and Keith started cracking up and ran around the studio telling everyone how Charlie had spoken up and suggested something. Mick Taylor has often spoken about how Keith would be incredibly vicious to him throughout his tenure with the band.

Anyway, I think The Stones hit a creative peak from 69-72, which is post-Brian Jones, but I think their 60's stuff has a unique sound and it's due to Jones' tinkering.
Charlie and Mick were the ones that did the tour planning and stage design stuff. That anecdote may be true but Charlie is very much involved in what The Stones do and is not just a player.

From wiki

Besides his musical creativity, Watts contributed graphic art to early records such as the Between the Buttons record sleeve and was responsible for the 1975 tour announcement press conference in New York City. The band surprised the throng of waiting reporters by driving and playing "Brown Sugar" on the back of a flatbed truck in the middle of Manhattan traffic; a gimmick AC/DC copied later the same year, Status Quo repeated the trick for the 1984 video to "The Wanderer" and U2 would later emulate it in the 2004 video for "All Because of You". Watts remembered this was a common way for New Orleans jazz bands to promote upcoming dates. Moreover, with Jagger, he designed the elaborate stages for tours, first contributing to the lotus-shaped design of that 1975 Tour of the Americas, as well as the 1989–1990 Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour, the 1997 Bridges to Babylon Tour, the 2002-2003 Licks Tour, and the 2005-2007 A Bigger Bang Tour.

There are many instances where Jagger and Richards have lauded Watts as the key member of The Rolling Stones. Richards went so far as to say in a 2005 Guitar Player magazine interview that the Rolling Stones would not be, or could not continue as, the Rolling Stones without Watts. An example of Watts's importance was demonstrated in 1993, after Bill Wyman had left the band. After auditioning several bassists, Jagger and Richards asked Watts to choose the new bass player. Watts selected the respected session musician Darryl Jones, who had previously been a sideman for both Miles Davis and Sting.

Originally Posted by rw2516
Taylor has gotten his revenge, and regularly takes it to bank. He was made an official member of the Stones. He has received an equal share of all the money the Stones(as an economic entity) have earned since he left. Not just from recordings he's on, he received just as much from the later tours and albums as the rest of them, even more than Ron Wood earned from them.
This irks Mick and Keith so much they decided "never again" and have never made Ron Wood an official member of the band. He's hired help. He's paid session fee(albeit a high one) for playing on the recordings, and hired to go on tour with them just like any other muscians they hire to go with them.
Wood was made a full member in 1990. However I prefer Taylor. He was the perfect counterpoint to Keith. They should have let him get more involved in the writing, they would have been a better band than the current one with Woody. IMO.
Old 05-23-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Flashback
Shit, I can't count all the people telling me to listen to OK, Kid and the Bends by Radiohead as they are 'so great.' I've tried many times and I can't stand it.
Oh well.
I know what you mean - I try to get people "into" Weezer's Pinkerton, and when they say they still don't like it, I throw them out the window.
Old 05-23-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by arminius
That anecdote may be true but Charlie is very much involved in what The Stones do and is not just a player.
Maybe so, but Keith mentioned in his book that Charlie was a very quiet person, and hardly ever spoke up...but when he did, people listened.
Old 06-01-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the blues covers the Stones did in the early days. Paint It Black is my all-time fave. But, just like the OP, I mostly like the hits. Songs like As Tears Go By and Angie are awful IMHO.
Old 06-01-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know what you mean - I try to get people "into" Weezer's Pinkerton, and when they say they still don't like it, I throw them out the window.
Anyone that doesn't like Pinkerton is a Communist.
Old 06-02-12, 06:08 PM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by joefrog91
I like the blues covers the Stones did in the early days. Paint It Black is my all-time fave. But, just like the OP, I mostly like the hits. Songs like As Tears Go By and Angie are awful IMHO.
Strange, As Tears Go By is one of my favorites (especially that phase they went through) but I can agree with you on Angie a little.
Old 06-04-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Top 5 Stones albums for me:
1. Let it Bleed
2. Exile
3. Aftermath
4. Sticky Fingers
5. Between the Buttons

I'm a sucker for their relatively non-bluesy 1966-67 period. "She Smiled Sweetly" might be my favorite Stones track, which is a really weird choice, I'll admit.

"Monkey Man" and "Happy" (greatest guitar riff of all time?) rank highly with me as well, so whatever.

Sticky Fingers and Begger's Banquet are obviously both classics, just don't personally like them as much as these others.
Old 06-07-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really digging Jumpin' Jack Flash at the moment, really for the very first time in my life. Never really got into it before, and it's one helluva song, by gum!
Old 06-07-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone that doesn't like Pinkerton is a Communist.
Pinkerton sucks.
Old 06-07-12, 03:32 PM
Banned

I like JUST MY IMAGINATION .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.