Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Beatles-Hey Jude?

Old 02-12-12, 08:16 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,978
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Beatles-Hey Jude?

What's the story behind the US release of this song? Was it originally a single and later came out on LP or never came out on LP?
Old 02-12-12, 08:17 PM
  #2  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,653
Received 406 Likes on 289 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Jude#Single_release
Old 02-12-12, 08:18 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,978
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Yeah I already went there and still don't understand it.
Old 02-12-12, 08:57 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 38,463
Received 951 Likes on 691 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

It was released as a single. Then was included on the "Hey Jude" album which contained other non-album singles.
Old 02-12-12, 08:59 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,633
Received 855 Likes on 699 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

It's there in the article that the song was originally recorded during the self titled release (The White Album), but that it was always intended to be a single and not an album track.
Old 02-13-12, 04:56 AM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

All I remember is that when it debuted on Ed Sullivan, it looked like half the city was crowded onstage singing the chorus.

Not NYC...the Beatles had long since stopped appearing live & just sent in videos.
Old 02-13-12, 08:20 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,436
Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

I am pretty sure this was the first song over 4 minutes that the radio played on a regular basis. Most songs back then had to be under 3-4 minutes to get substantial airplay, but this was a such a great song even at 7 minutes.
Old 02-13-12, 08:30 AM
  #8  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: America!
Posts: 33,922
Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I am pretty sure this was the first song over 4 minutes that the radio played on a regular basis. Most songs back then had to be under 3-4 minutes to get substantial airplay, but this was a such a great song even at 7 minutes.
To name one off the top of my head, "Like a Rolling Stone" was a hit single for Dylan more than three years before "Hey Jude" was released.
Old 02-13-12, 09:09 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,978
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

What about Inna-Godda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly. FM radio played long version(17 minutes approx.)
Old 02-13-12, 09:12 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
JANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: at lightspeed slowing
Posts: 3,365
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

It just followed the pattern of all Beatle singles where the song was not on any current album. It was just huge when it came out, especially with Revolution on the flip side. Amazing.
Old 02-13-12, 09:14 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
JANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: at lightspeed slowing
Posts: 3,365
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
What about Inna-Godda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly. FM radio played long version(17 minutes approx.)
Top 40 radio, which is the focus here as far as play-length, never played the full version, just the shortened single 45''. Like A Rolling Stone & Hey Jude were played uncut full-length on Top 40 stations.
Old 02-13-12, 11:10 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,442
Likes: 0
Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Originally Posted by JANK View Post
It just followed the pattern of all Beatle singles where the song was not on any current album. It was just huge when it came out, especially with Revolution on the flip side. Amazing.
Several of The Who's big singles were non-LP also. It's no wonder the two Beatles collections, 1962-66 and 1967-70 flew off store shelves when released, it was the first chance to get some on these in years, and first time on LP. The Who collected all their non-LP hits on the album Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy in 1970. Another huge seller.
Honky Tonk Women was a non-LP single not available in LP format until Hot Rocks .
Old 02-15-12, 01:24 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Damfino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 6,637
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
All I remember is that when it debuted on Ed Sullivan, it looked like half the city was crowded onstage singing the chorus.

Not NYC...the Beatles had long since stopped appearing live & just sent in videos.
I suspect Ed Sullivan might have re-broadcasted the version that the Beatles played live on the David Frost show in the UK.
Old 02-15-12, 01:36 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,158
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

The venerable British band habit of releasing many of a their best songs as non-album singles has always struck me as odd. It might have made sense back when people bought 45s (pre-Revolver) but the trend continued up at least through the early ninties (e.g. a lot of the best early Morrissey was single only etc).

I think the Beatles started this trend. To A/B Paperback Writer / Rain and then A/B Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane is pretty ridiculous. Most bands would kill to write just one of those songs, releasing a epochal, hugely influential track like Rain as a non-album b-side shows is bonkers.
Old 02-15-12, 01:49 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
arminius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Here I Is!
Posts: 6,967
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Several of The Who's big singles were non-LP also. It's no wonder the two Beatles collections, 1962-66 and 1967-70 flew off store shelves when released, it was the first chance to get some on these in years, and first time on LP. The Who collected all their non-LP hits on the album Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy in 1970. Another huge seller.
Honky Tonk Women was a non-LP single not available in LP format until Hot Rocks .
True but Country Honk was on Let It Bleed.
Old 02-15-12, 06:42 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,468
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I think the Beatles started this trend. To A/B Paperback Writer / Rain and then A/B Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane is pretty ridiculous. Most bands would kill to write just one of those songs, releasing a epochal, hugely influential track like Rain as a non-album b-side shows is bonkers.
Don't forget:

Day Tripper / We Can Work it Out
Yellow Submarine / Eleanor Rigby
Come Together / Something

There were double a-side singles before The Beatles did it, but those happened by mistake when the b-side just happened to become a hit. For example, Booker T. & the MG's released 'Behave Yourself' as a single, But DJ's began to play 'Green Onions' instead.
Old 02-15-12, 07:55 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,821
Likes: 0
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

That's one of the craziest & most overlooked aspects of The Beatles. That the singles were a complement to & not a duplication of the albums.

If you listen to what's now called Past Masters, it sounds like a greatest hits compilation. But then you realize that none of those tracks are on any of their proper albums.
Old 02-16-12, 11:46 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,468
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
That's one of the craziest & most overlooked aspects of The Beatles. That the singles were a complement to & not a duplication of the albums.
That was the standard practice in the UK at the time. They wanted fans to purchase both LPs and 45s, where as in the U.S., for the most part, there was no real incentive to purchase a 45 after buying an album.
Old 02-17-12, 02:51 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,788
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
The venerable British band habit of releasing many of a their best songs as non-album singles has always struck me as odd.
Agreed. Even stranger is that the practice persists. There are a couple of very recent UK bands I've gotten in to recently, and was shocked that several of their singles from the last couple of years aren't on any albums. I mean, I get that artists sometimes release a song or two between albums, but why can't they put those songs on an upcoming album? Oh, that's right: $$$$. Or perhaps I should say .
Old 02-17-12, 12:15 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,158
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Agreed. Even stranger is that the practice persists. There are a couple of very recent UK bands I've gotten in to recently, and was shocked that several of their singles from the last couple of years aren't on any albums. I mean, I get that artists sometimes release a song or two between albums, but why can't they put those songs on an upcoming album? Oh, that's right: $$$$. Or perhaps I should say .
It's really weird. People in the UK apparently don't mind buying singles. It was a huge trend in the late seventies, early eighties:

"Love will Tear Us Apart", "Transmission" and "Atmosphere" arguably the three most famous Joy Division tracks were all single only, not even on EPs.

"Temptation", which is probably the definitive New Order song, was never on any album. It was released on the "1983" EP and as a single. Also, a version of the even more famous "Blue Monday" was on "Power, Corruption and Lies" but the definitive version that everyone bought was single only (probably the most famous British single of the past thirty years).

The majority of the Smiths' best songs were single only. I'd argue that their singles collections "Louder than Bombs" and "Hatful of Hollow" stand as their definitive original releases.

The best Buzzcocks album is easily the classic singles comp "Singles Going Steady".

The Jam made a bunch of great albums, but their definitive release is probably the singles comp "Snap".

The Cure's "Staring at the Sea" singles comp is better than any of their early albums, IMO.

Souxsie and the Banshee's best early songs were pretty much all non-album singles.

...etc.
Old 02-18-12, 04:12 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Beatles-Hey Jude?

Their producer, George Martin, was very much against "singles" appearing on Beatles albums. He (and the band, too, I guess) felt that it was "not right" to make fans buy the song a second time by it appearing on an album.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand and She Loves You weren't on Beatles albums, either. However, there are the exceptions (Come Together, Yellow Submarine, and Let It Be) come to mind. But for the most part, it was the norm for a Beatles album to have never-before-released songs.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.