Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst albums of 2011

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Worst albums of 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Worst albums of 2011

Like other, I'm going with more of a "most disappointing" than worst, as I don't try to listen to bad music, I'm sure there's plenty of garbage out there that's really bad.

So, I'll go with the new dredg album, Chuckles and Mr Smiley or whatever the Hell the title is. I love their last 2 albums, and have enjoyed just about everything they have done to some extent. This album is pretty much unlistenable to me, though. There's a couple of songs that are bland and those are the best songs on the album. Some of the songs are decent musically, but I don't think the vocals really fit with the music, but most of the album is just boring. I don't really know what the general consensus of the album is, but I know that 2 of my friends are big dredg fans, too, and they both really dislike it.
Old 12-06-11, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I have to say, I don't get this whole trend towards indie down-tempo soft rock these days. Dawes, Real Estate, Best Coast, Midlake, Mumford and Sons, Iron and Wine, Megafaun, Grizzle Bear etc: they're all various combinations of Jackson Browne, America, Joni Mitchell and a variety of other west coast 70s singer-songwriters as far as I can tell but without the songwriting chops and charm of those artists. To me, they're either narcotically sleepy (Real Estate... snore) or irritatingly precious (Best Coast... puke). Also, to sound like an oldster: Dean Wareham cornered this market 20+ years ago.

These are some of the most acclaimed artistes these days, so obviously I'm wrong.
I don't have a problem with bands aping mellow 70's west coast bands if done right. Of the bands you mention I think Mumford & Sons are one of the most overrated acts I've ever heard, yet I love Grizzly Bear, Real Estate and Best Coast (Dawes is just average to me). Guess it all depends on the band.

As I mentioned in the 2011 Best of thread, the new R.E.M. album bummed me out when the band said it was one of their best and it just simply wasn't.
Old 12-06-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are some of the most acclaimed artistes these days, so obviously I'm wrong.
Yes, you are. It's called music. A rare treat these days.

But of course, this is all a matter of opinion. Pretty much everything has been done already so most bands are just grabbing a genre they like and playing it. No harm in that. Dawes and Middle Brother are pretty straight forward rock bands. There is no pretentiousness. That's appealing to me. The Decemberists are a bit pretentious but Colin Meloy is a brilliant songwriter.

Last edited by CRM114; 12-06-11 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I don't have a problem with bands aping mellow 70's west coast bands if done right. Of the bands you mention I think Mumford & Sons are one of the most overrated acts I've ever heard, yet I love Grizzly Bear, Real Estate and Best Coast (Dawes is just average to me). Guess it all depends on the band.
To all the people on the "it's real music played by real people man, you just don't get it" tip: don't get me wrong, I actually love the original 70s California singer songwriter stuff and folk rock that's inspired this movement. In fact, there are other bands I like even in the current crop: Wilco and The Decembrists both released excellent albums this year in same general genre and The War on Drugs is at least tangentially related and produced one of my favorites of the year. I just find the majority of this current crop of bands to be bland and lacking the talent of the bands they're apeing. The fact that they're all so critically adored is a bit strange to me. Then again, I found The XX's album last year to be hugely overrated so what do I know.
Old 12-06-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was looking very forward to Deer Tick's Divine Providence, especially after hearing John McCauley's songs on the Middle Brother album. It turned out to be the most disappointing listen I've had in years. It is such an enormous step down from all of his other stuff.
Old 12-06-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To all the people on the "it's real music played by real people man, you just don't get it" tip: don't get me wrong, I actually love the original 70s California singer songwriter stuff and folk rock that's inspired this movement. In fact, there are other bands I like even in the current crop: Wilco and The Decembrists both released excellent albums this year in same general genre and The War on Drugs is at least tangentially related and produced one of my favorites of the year. I just find the majority of this current crop of bands to be bland and lacking the talent of the bands they're apeing. The fact that they're all so critically adored is a bit strange to me. Then again, I found The XX's album last year to be hugely overrated so what do I know.
I'm not sure they are "critically adored" rather they are given consideration as being top bands in an otherwise barren wasteland of blah.
Old 12-06-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Queensryche - Systematic Chaos
Systematic Chaos is a Dream Theater album. Queensryche's latest slide into obscurity was Dedicated to Chaos.
Old 12-06-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Systematic Chaos is a Dream Theater album. Queensryche's latest slide into obscurity was Dedicated to Chaos.
Yeah, that's right. It was so shitty I have already forgotten the title.
Old 12-07-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought the new Theory of a Deadman sucked ass. Not one song was memorable. I couldn't get into Coldplay's new stuff either.

Favorite hard rock song of 2011 - Five Finger Death Punch - Under and Over It. That song kicks so much ass right from the beginning.

Favorite album is probably the new Seether. I loved every song on it.
Old 01-11-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I LOVE Best Coast. So there!
Old 01-11-12, 03:02 PM

Megadeth - Th1rt3en
Old 01-11-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I LOVE Best Coast. So there!
WHOA...where'd you come from. Haven't seen your name in ages.
Old 01-11-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Megadeth - Th1rt3en
You're nuts.

Now In Flames "The Sounds of a Playground Fading" should have been called "The sounds of a once-great band fading."
Old 01-11-12, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Traxan
You're nuts.

Now In Flames "The Sounds of a Playground Fading" should have been called "The sounds of a once-great band fading."
Nope, Thirteen is an incredibly lame, lazy, and boring album.
Old 01-12-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
WHOA...where'd you come from. Haven't seen your name in ages.
Came back for this thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...-out-pics.html

back story on that for those to lazy to click:

So during the last big snow of 2011 I got yet another newspaper stuck in the snowblower.

I forgot about it all summer but remembered a few weeks back. Now that it's cold out I need to get it out.

So I did a search on Google to see if there were any new miracle cures for this. What do I find at the top but my thread which I'd forgotten about. DOH.

So anyway, I fixed it and put up pix but no one cares anymore and the thread died quickly. *sniff

For some reason Best Coast came to mind so I did a search to see if anything had been posted about them in the Music forum.
Old 01-12-12, 02:05 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Not necessarily the "worst album", but the winner of the "Largest Disparity between My Perception of an Album's Quality and General Critical Consensus" for me is Fleet Foxes' "Helplessness Blues". Honestly, I've tried to listen to this thing ten times and each time I wind up switching if off less than three songs in. It's a painful snooze of a record, mixing boredom and twee cutesyness in equal measure. Judging by the critical raves, I'm way off base.
I liked it, but thought it was overproduced and bland.
Old 01-13-12, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

I'll second Divine Providence from Deer Tick, and with the exception of "Toes", Siberia from Lights is a huge disappointment.
Old 01-13-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just Plain Awful:
Dirty Beaches – Badlands
of Montreal - thecontrollersphere
The Streets - Computers and Blues
The Streets - Cyberspace and Reds
tUnE-yArDs - W H O K I L L

Disappointing:
Bad Meets Ǝvil - Hell: The Sequel
Incubus - If Not Now, When?
Jay-z & Kanye West - Watch the Throne
Middle Brother - s/t
Asking Alexandria - Reckless & Relentless
The Felice Brothers – Celebration, Florida
Old 01-13-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I thought the new Theory of a Deadman sucked ass. Not one song was memorable.
Oh I have to disagree. "Lowlife" and "The Bitch Came Back" are absolutely hilarious. These guys have their Trailer Park Rock act down to a science.
Old 01-13-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Oh I have to disagree. "Lowlife" and "The Bitch Came Back" are absolutely hilarious. These guys have their Trailer Park Rock act down to a science.
They also have produced some great melodic vocals and hooks which is sadly missing on this album. Songs like "Not Meant to Be" or "All or Nothing" catch my ear a lot more than "Lowlife" which is totally forgetable.