Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Robin Gibb of Bee Gees battled Liver Cancer - dies at age 62

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,680 Likes on 2,647 Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...er-cancer.html

Robin Gibb is battling liver cancer.

The 61-year-old Bee Gee has been undergoing treatment for the disease for several months, and is now being cared for by his wife Dwina.

In recent weeks the star has appeared in public looking increasingly frail

He spent five hours in hospital on Tuesday before being allowed back home, where he was joined by his mother Barbara, 91, and older brother Barry, 65, who have flown in from America to be by his side.
Gibb was well enough to promote this year’s Poppy Appeal single, a cover of the Bee Gees hit I’ve Gotta Get A Message To You, on The Alan Titchmarsh Show on ITV last month – but his gaunt appearance fuelled concerns about his health.
He had been treated for inflammation of the colon two weeks earlier. Last October he had surgery on his intestine following the same medical

Last month the singer tried to quash rumours about his health, saying: ‘I’m feeling great, absol-utely great.’

But despite his optimism, the NHS says the outlook for those with liver cancer is poor as most cases are detected late.
A close friend told the Daily Mail: ‘We should be thinking about Robin’s incredible talent as a singer and songwriter, and the wonderful gift of music that he and his brothers gave to the world.’
Mr Gibb, who does not smoke or drink and eats healthily, told the Mail last year that he spends 20 minutes a day sweating in a ‘detoxification hut’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz1eMokE5Vk

This is sad news. I've been a fan of the Bee Gees since the 80's and it's sad that Barry will eventually be the last surviving Gibb brother.

If you look at some of the photos in the link, Robin looks really sick.
Old 11-21-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

re: Robin Gibb of Bee Gees battled Liver Cancer - dies at age 62

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-cancer-264208

It's not looking good for him. According to this report, he was rushed to the hospital last Tuesday.
Old 11-22-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks as if the band will be re-named "The Bee Gee" here pretty soon...
Old 04-14-12, 12:52 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
YABGT:Robin Gibb in coma & near death, only 1 of the 3 are Stayin' Alive-ive-ive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...days-live.html

Robin Gibb in coma as doctors fear he only has days to live

Robin Gibb in coma as doctors fear he only has days to live

Robin Gibb is lying in a coma as doctors fear he only has days to live, it has been reported.

The Bee Gees star's family were keeping a bedside vigil, praying for the 62-year-old's survival.

He appeared to have made a recovery from liver and colon cancer this year, but doctors believe a second tumor may be present, reported The Sun.

He has also developed pneumonia.

His wife Dwina, brother Barry, 65, daughter Melissa, 37, and sons Spencer, 39, and Robin-John, 29, were at his bedside at a private hospital in Chelsea, West London.

A family friend told the newspaper: 'Our prayers are with Robin. he has kept so positive and always believed he could beat this.

Sadly, it looks like he has developed pneumonia, which is very bad in his situation.

'If there is anyone you would put money on pulling through such a dire situation, it would be Robin because he is a fighter. But this is a battle he will struggle to win.'

Robin revealed his battle with cancer in October 2010.

He had emergency surgery to treat a blocked bowel, before a further operation to treat a twisted bowel. Colon cancer was then discovered and it spread to his liver.

His twin brother Maurice died of complications resulting from a twisted intestine in 2003, aged 53.
Old 04-14-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YABGT:Robin Gibb in coma & near death, only 1 of the 3 are Stayin' Alive-ive-ive.

Not sounding good. My wife is a huge fan of theirs and was upset when Maurice passed away.
Old 04-14-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: YABGT:Robin Gibb in coma & near death, only 1 of the 3 are Stayin' Alive-ive-ive.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...er-cancer.html

I did a thread when he was battling Liver Cancer late last year. Guess there isn't many Bee Gees fans in this forum.

I'm a fan of the Bee Gees. It sucks that Barry will be the last surviving member/Gibb brother.
Old 04-15-12, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 down 1 to go.

Love always,

The Meatmen

Spoiler:
Yeah I know...bad taste. Laughing through my tears. Great band. Good luck Robin. He had a good run.
Old 04-15-12, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 335 Likes on 254 Posts

Bee Gee in a coma I know, I know, it's serious.

(Sorry, couldn't help it!)
Old 04-15-12, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Doctor: "Everyone, if you'll all gather around the x-rays here, I'll point out just how far this has spread."

Robin Gibb: "Doc, I appreciate that you want to include everyone in this, but truthfully...it's me you need to show, how deep is my lump?"

Last edited by The Infidel; 04-15-12 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,307 Likes on 951 Posts

Gibb 'confounds' doctors by getting better

London (CNN) -- Singer Robin Gibb has "confounded" his doctors by emerging from a coma just days after they thought he might not survive it, his physician said Sunday.

Days ago, Bee Gees star Gibb was in a coma and battling pneumonia, the latest turn in health issues that include a recent battle with colon and liver cancer. Now he is "fully conscious, lucid and able to speak to his loved ones," Dr. Andrew Thillainayagam said in a statement.

"He is breathing on his own, with an oxygen mask. He is on intravenous feeding and antibiotics. He is of course, exhausted, extremely weak and malnourished. Our immediate goals are to ensure that Robin's swallowing mechanism is safe enough to allow him to eat and drink, and that he recovers enough strength to breathe effectively, without needing high levels of oxygen by mask."

When that happens, he may be moved out of the intensive care unit at the London Clinic, the doctor said.

"It is testament to Robin's extraordinary courage, iron will and deep reserves of physical strength that he has overcome quite incredible odds to get where he is now," Thillainayagam said.

The good news comes just three days after Thillainayagam warned Gibb's family "that I feared the worst.," he said. "We felt it was very likely that Robin would succumb to what seemed to be insurmountable obstacles to any form of meaningful recovery. As a team, we were all concerned that we might be approaching the realms of futility."

"The road ahead for Robin remains uncertain but it is a privilege to look after such an extraordinary human being," Thillainayagam said.

Gibb's wife Dwina and children Robin-John, Spencer, and Melissa have been at his bedside every day, the doctor said.

Robin Gibb's twin brother, Maurice, died in 2003 of a twisted bowel.

His brother Andy died at age 30 from a heart infection in 1988.

The Brothers Gibb -- calling themselves the Bee Gees -- soared to renown as one of the most successful British groups after the 1977 film "Saturday Night Fever" starring John Travolta was built around the group's disco songs.

Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997, the Bee Gees have sold more than 200 million albums, and their soundtrack album to "Saturday Night Fever" was the top-selling album until Michael Jackson's "Thriller" claimed that distinction in the 1980s.

While often in the background as brother Barry sang lead vocals, Robin Gibb stepped forward on several top tunes, including "I Started a Joke" and "I've Gotta Get a Message to You." He also recorded several solo albums during his career.
Old 05-20-12, 05:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb dies after cancer battle"

Originally Posted by BBC
Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb has died following a lengthy battle with cancer, his family have said.

British-born Gibb, 62, had been battling colon and liver cancer.

Gibb's musical career began when he formed the Bee Gees with his brothers Barry and Maurice in 1958.

The group is among the biggest-selling groups of all time with hits spanning six decades including Stayin' Alive, How Deep Is Your Love, Massachusetts and Night Fever.
Old 05-20-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Cancer sucks

Rest in Peace Robin.

Happy that you will be reunited with Maurice and Andy.
Old 05-20-12, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Can a Mod change the title of this thread?

Something like...

Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees dies at age 62
Old 05-20-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Obligatory "Not Stayin' Alive" comment
Old 05-20-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

They say these things happen in three's - First Donna Summer, now Robin Gibb, and John Travolta's reputation is barely...Stayin' Aliiivvvvvvveeeee!
Old 05-20-12, 06:50 PM
Suspended

RIP Robin Gibb. It's weird he dies in the same week as Donna Summer though, I guess disco is dead.

http://todayentertainment.today.msnb...th-cancer?lite
Old 05-20-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

RIP

It's a shame though that he had to battle cancer, such a horrible disease.
Old 05-20-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 335 Likes on 254 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/czEw1VSPX0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-21-12, 09:15 AM

Re: Robin Gibb of Bee Gees battled Liver Cancer - dies at age 62

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MSVTOMkJdqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-21-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

RIP Mr. Gibb.
Old 05-21-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,307 Likes on 951 Posts

Listened to the Bee Gees before they went disco. Sorta sad that most only associate them with that era but it is what it is.

Old 05-21-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I was a big Bee Gees fan in the 60s and when they went disco I stopped listening to them. To me, it felt like they were trying to cash in on the latest musical craze because for many years they had been a pop/rock band.

Odessa is one of my favorite albums of theirs.
Old 05-21-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RIP, their 60s stuff is incredible.
Old 05-21-12, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Franchot
I was a big Bee Gees fan in the 60s and when they went disco I stopped listening to them. To me, it felt like they were trying to cash in on the latest musical craze because for many years they had been a pop/rock band.

Odessa is one of my favorite albums of theirs.
millions of people are glad they did and their bank account is glad too.
Old 05-21-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.