Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Old 10-04-11, 10:04 AM
  #76  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,844
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Never thought of the Cure as New Wave. Post Punk, Alternative, Goth Rock even but New Wave?
Maybe Three Imaginary Boys (their first record) could be considered New Wave-like.
Old 10-04-11, 10:10 AM
  #77  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,844
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
"The R&R HOF" should be renamed..."The Any Muic Will Do HOF"

Out the whole list I can see Heart in it but seriously, that's about it. I love the Small Faces/The Faces, admire Joan Jett but but no-one on that list except Heart has had a long career, made a serious impact and contributed near the amount as some still not in there.

I mean The Beastie Boys, The Cure and Donna Summer......might as well nominate everyone from the early MTV era. But if you look at all the inductees already in you can see why this list is as it is. There are far more R&B and Pop in the R&RHoF than actual ROCK. How can any HoF music wise not include Rush, Kiss and Yes.
The Cure have put out close to 15 original records (plus a bunch of singles, comps and live records) over a 30+ year span. They have sold close to 30 million records worldwide and have been cited as major influences of countless bands. You really think Heart deserves to get in over them?
Old 10-04-11, 11:13 AM
  #78  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,898
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by Gerry P. View Post
The Small Faces were a big influence on Kiss.
don't get the joke here, replace kiss with the jam and it's fixed
Old 10-04-11, 12:31 PM
  #79  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: America!
Posts: 33,899
Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
I think it's just the fact most people aren't familiar enough with this band more than anything else. I mean does anyone here even listen to the small faces? I mean seriously listen to all of their songs and not just the few hits they had? It seems like to me it's always "oh the small faces Itchycoo Park!" or if they're a little more into them "ogden's nut gone flake!" They never got their due.


I'm not a huge Faces fan, but The Small Faces are one of my two or three favorite bands ever. I own everything they did. According to last.fm they are my third most-listened two acts, after The Kinks and Hank Mobley. "I Feel Much Better" is my fourth most-listened to track, and "Tin Soldier", "I Can't Make It", and "Here Come the Nice" are eight, nine, and ten, respectively.

So yes, people here listen to them.
Old 10-04-11, 09:54 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,429
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

It is crazy that Depeche mode is not in it, they popularized the synth sound
Old 10-06-11, 02:57 AM
  #81  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,935
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
"
I mean The Beastie Boys, The Cure and Donna Summer......might as well nominate everyone from the early MTV era.
Ugh... just, ugh. If you can't see what The Cure has done in rock music then you really need to investigate. And Donna Summer (with Moroder) had more influence with only one or two songs than all of Heart's catalog.
Old 12-07-11, 07:21 AM
  #82  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,984
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

NEW YORK Welcome to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Guns N' Roses.

The seminal rock band of the late 1980s and early '90s, best known for hits like "Welcome to the Jungle," ''Sweet Child O' Mine" and "November Rain," leads the 2012 class of inductees announced on Wednesday. Also making the cut is the hip-hop trio Beastie Boys; rockers the Red Hot Chili Peppers; the late singer/songwriter Laura Nyro; Donovan; and influential British rock group The Small Faces/The Faces, which included Rod Stewart and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood.

Nyro, who wrote such hits the 5th Dimension's "Wedding Bell Blues" and Blood Sweat & Tears' "When I Die," is the only female act to make it this time around. The hall passed on Donna Summer, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Heart and Rufus with Chaka Khan, who were on the ballot for 2012.

But it wasn't just women who were denied entry into the rock hall for next year. Voters also passed on hip-hop pioneers Eric B. & Rakim, War, the Cure and the Spinners.

Guns N' Roses blazed on the rock scene in 1987 with their official debut, "Appetite for Destruction." Fronted by siren-voiced singer Axl Rose, with Slash and Izzy Stradlin on guitars, Duff McKagan on bass and Steven Adler on drums, the group dominated music with its aggressive rock grooves. Early in their career they were criticized for lyrics in the song "One in a Million" deemed as homophobic, misogynistic and racist. They were also defined by their dysfunction, gleefully embodying the mantra of sex, drugs and rock and roll.

The band sold millions and millions of albums, providing a sharp contrast to a pop world defined by the likes of Madonna and Michael Jackson. But the group's turmoil, often on display before the whole world, would cause the core to fall apart by 1996. Their induction should lead to talk once again of a possible reunion, at least for the induction ceremony.

Their trajectory was the opposite of the Chili Peppers. Despite troubles that included the drug-related death of guitarist Hillel Slovak and the departure of guitarist John Frusciante, the band, fronted by Anthony Kiedis, with Flea on bass, drummer Chad Smith and guitarist Josh Klinghoffer, released its 10th album, "I'm With You," this year.

The Beastie Boys (Adam Yauch, Mike Diamond and Adam Horowitz) are among the pioneers of rap. The first white act to make real inroads in the emerging genre, they were known initially for boorish party music, but would develop into a group critically acclaimed for its musicality, experimenting with different soundscapes, even producing an instrumental album.

Both Stewart and Wood will become second-time members of the Rock Hall (Stewart was inducted as a solo artist in 1994 and Wood as part of the Rolling Stones in 1989) for the Small Faces/The Faces, a key rock group that developed as British invasion was peaking. Among their hits was the song "Stay With Me."

"Well it's quite a thrill and honor to make it in the Hall of Fame a second time," Stewart said in a statement. "We (The Faces) were always synonymous with a good party and with this list of fellow artists being inducted I'm looking forward to (it) ... and it's a hell of a good reason to reunite and celebrate with my old mates."

Donovan is best known for trippy hits like "Mellow Yellow."

Guns N' Roses and the Faces were inducted their first time on the ballot. The Chili Peppers had to wait until their second try, and the Beastie Boys and Nyro were denied twice before making it this time around.

Other inductees include Freddie King for early influence; rock promoter Don Kirshner, who died earlier this year, receives the Ahmet Ertegun award; and Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns and Cosimo Matssa will be honored for musical excellence.

The Rock and Roll Hall of fame induction ceremony will be held in Cleveland, where the rock hall is based, on April 14.
Old 12-07-11, 08:14 AM
  #83  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: America!
Posts: 33,899
Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced



That is all.
Old 12-07-11, 08:27 AM
  #84  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,193
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
NEW YORK Welcome to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Guns N' Roses.

The seminal rock band of the late 1980s and early '90s, best known for hits like "Welcome to the Jungle," ''Sweet Child O' Mine" and "November Rain," leads the 2012 class of inductees announced on Wednesday. Also making the cut is the hip-hop trio Beastie Boys; rockers the Red Hot Chili Peppers; the late singer/songwriter Laura Nyro; Donovan; and influential British rock group The Small Faces/The Faces, which included Rod Stewart and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood.

Nyro, who wrote such hits the 5th Dimension's "Wedding Bell Blues" and Blood Sweat & Tears' "When I Die," is the only female act to make it this time around. The hall passed on Donna Summer, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Heart and Rufus with Chaka Khan, who were on the ballot for 2012.

But it wasn't just women who were denied entry into the rock hall for next year. Voters also passed on hip-hop pioneers Eric B. & Rakim, War, the Cure and the Spinners.

Guns N' Roses blazed on the rock scene in 1987 with their official debut, "Appetite for Destruction." Fronted by siren-voiced singer Axl Rose, with Slash and Izzy Stradlin on guitars, Duff McKagan on bass and Steven Adler on drums, the group dominated music with its aggressive rock grooves. Early in their career they were criticized for lyrics in the song "One in a Million" deemed as homophobic, misogynistic and racist. They were also defined by their dysfunction, gleefully embodying the mantra of sex, drugs and rock and roll.

The band sold millions and millions of albums, providing a sharp contrast to a pop world defined by the likes of Madonna and Michael Jackson. But the group's turmoil, often on display before the whole world, would cause the core to fall apart by 1996. Their induction should lead to talk once again of a possible reunion, at least for the induction ceremony.

Their trajectory was the opposite of the Chili Peppers. Despite troubles that included the drug-related death of guitarist Hillel Slovak and the departure of guitarist John Frusciante, the band, fronted by Anthony Kiedis, with Flea on bass, drummer Chad Smith and guitarist Josh Klinghoffer, released its 10th album, "I'm With You," this year.

The Beastie Boys (Adam Yauch, Mike Diamond and Adam Horowitz) are among the pioneers of rap. The first white act to make real inroads in the emerging genre, they were known initially for boorish party music, but would develop into a group critically acclaimed for its musicality, experimenting with different soundscapes, even producing an instrumental album.

Both Stewart and Wood will become second-time members of the Rock Hall (Stewart was inducted as a solo artist in 1994 and Wood as part of the Rolling Stones in 1989) for the Small Faces/The Faces, a key rock group that developed as British invasion was peaking. Among their hits was the song "Stay With Me."

"Well it's quite a thrill and honor to make it in the Hall of Fame a second time," Stewart said in a statement. "We (The Faces) were always synonymous with a good party and with this list of fellow artists being inducted I'm looking forward to (it) ... and it's a hell of a good reason to reunite and celebrate with my old mates."

Donovan is best known for trippy hits like "Mellow Yellow."

Guns N' Roses and the Faces were inducted their first time on the ballot. The Chili Peppers had to wait until their second try, and the Beastie Boys and Nyro were denied twice before making it this time around.

Other inductees include Freddie King for early influence; rock promoter Don Kirshner, who died earlier this year, receives the Ahmet Ertegun award; and Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns and Cosimo Matssa will be honored for musical excellence.

The Rock and Roll Hall of fame induction ceremony will be held in Cleveland, where the rock hall is based, on April 14.
nothing about Kiss or Rush?
Old 12-07-11, 10:49 AM
  #85  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 36,822
Received 610 Likes on 441 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

The Faces and Glyn Johns
Old 12-07-11, 11:19 AM
  #86  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,880
Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
nothing about Kiss or Rush?
They weren't in this year's nominations so why would they be mentioned now?
Old 12-07-11, 02:47 PM
  #87  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,949
Received 453 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

I'm a big fan of Faces/Small Faces, I like GnR, Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys are OK, and Laura Nyro can go pound sand. But I didn't care about the RRHoF before, and as such I still don't. They're almost as bad as the Grammys when it comes to absolute cluelessness, a Baby Boomer circle-jerk for some Rolling Stone polesmoker and his douchebag buddies (Dave Marsh, we speak your name).
Old 12-07-11, 03:08 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 60,860
Received 2,881 Likes on 1,893 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Yay for GnR, RHCP and the Beasties. That's a better line up than we typically see. Hope we see the real GnR line up at the induction and not the bogus one we're getting here in Vegas opening for Drake at the Hard Rock Hotel on NYE (Yes, I'm serious).
Old 12-07-11, 03:09 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 7,681
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Huge fan of GNR. Hope they all show up and play together.

Talk is that the feud between Slash and Axl (the biggest within the band) has cooled off a bit in the last few years.

Aren't Slash, Duff, and Matt without a lead singer still? Doesn't Axl still have a huge ego that would be fed well with a reunion of the early 90's Guns?
Old 12-07-11, 03:19 PM
  #90  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Chili Pepers, Beasties, and Guns n Roses.

If the bands I rocked out to in junior high are going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame does that make me old?
Old 12-07-11, 03:35 PM
  #91  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,158
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

IMO: GnR had one indisputable masterpiece, the rest of their albums are nowhere near as good (despite some bright spots). The RHCP, while undeniably a great band and a terrific live act, have never made a masterpiece of an album and the majority of their releases are pretty filler-ific. Also, the RHCP's songwriting has always been more than a little suspect.

Influential bands I'd like to see make the cut but probably never will:
Little Feat
Fairport Convention
any Krautrock band, for example Can
Roxy Music
Brian Eno
Joy Division
Gram Parsons
Replacements
Marc Bolan / T Rex
Old 12-07-11, 04:14 PM
  #92  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,433
Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yay for GnR, RHCP and the Beasties. That's a better line up than we typically see. Hope we see the real GnR line up at the induction and not the bogus one we're getting here in Vegas opening for Drake at the Hard Rock Hotel on NYE (Yes, I'm serious).

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/60846

Steven Adler: 'I don't foresee a Guns N' Roses reunion for Rock N'Roll Hall Of Fame bow'

Drummer says he has his 'toes crossed' for a reunion, but says it's very unlikely


Former Guns N' Roses drummer Steven Adler has said he believes it is extremely doubtful that the original line-up of the band will reunite for their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

The band were confirmed to be added to the roll of honour along with The Faces/The Small Faces, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys and will be inducted at a ceremony in Cleveland, Ohio, on April 14, 2012.

Both Axl Rose and Slash have both separately said that they wouldn't rule out the possibility of the original line-up reuniting, but the band's former sticksman says he just can't see it happening.

Asked if all members of the band's classic line-up are likely to make the ceremony, Adler told Rolling Stone: "Absolutely not. But, as far as I know, there is a God and a higher power, and it's possible. Unfortunately, I don't foresee it. You figure that time could heal all wounds, but some people just really hold a crazy grudge".

The drummer also said that he believes that Axl Rose probably can't even remember what is the reason behind his fallout with Slash, but shows no signs of mellowing.

He said: "The real shame about the ending of the Guns N' Roses when I got kicked out wasn't just that I got kicked out, but Slash and Axl stopped working together. They are the Keith Richards and the Mick Jagger! For 20 years, because of some stupid grudge, which I guarantee you that neither of them could even tell you what it was. They don't even know! I just had lunch with Slash two days ago. He loves Axl. He holds no grudges towards him. Twenty years of great music wasn't created because of some stupid grudge".

Adler also said he was desperately hoping for some kind of reunion, but was sceptical of the chances of it happening.

He added: "The drama hasn't stopped for 25 years. I don't forsee it stopping, but I know there's love between all five of us. I know there is. Not just four of us, five of us. Five. We owe it to the fans. The least we can do is give them one great performance. My fingers are crossed. My toes are crossed!"
Old 12-07-11, 04:52 PM
  #93  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 7,681
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

I prefer Steven's punk style drumming to Matt's but even if there is a reunion it won't involve Steven. Can he even still play?
Old 12-07-11, 06:10 PM
  #94  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Up State NY
Posts: 1,886
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

I would have liked to see Heart and Joan Jett make it.
Old 12-07-11, 06:58 PM
  #95  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,949
Received 453 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Joan Jett is probably the *least* worthy person in that nomination group. There's still way too many acts that deserve it ahead of her. And I like Joan Jett.

Heart, on the other hand, now that's a crime...
Old 12-07-11, 07:27 PM
  #96  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 14,481
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

I don't have an issue with GnR, Beastie Boys, and RHCP being inducted, but none of them should be getting in before The Cure.
Old 12-07-11, 07:31 PM
  #97  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,833
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
and Laura Nyro can go pound sand.
Classy way to speak of a lady who died tragically of ovarian cancer at 49.
Old 12-07-11, 07:44 PM
  #98  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Antipodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 6,395
Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
I don't have an issue with GnR, Beastie Boys, and RHCP being inducted, but none of them should be getting in before The Cure.
Old 12-07-11, 08:51 PM
  #99  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,949
Received 453 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Classy way to speak of a lady who died tragically of ovarian cancer at 49.
Boo freakin hoo. Still doesn't change the fact her inclusion is a fucking joke.
Old 12-08-11, 06:41 AM
  #100  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 27,454
Received 790 Likes on 517 Posts
Re: 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
IMO: GnR had one indisputable masterpiece, the rest of their albums are nowhere near as good (despite some bright spots). The RHCP, while undeniably a great band and a terrific live act, have never made a masterpiece of an album and the majority of their releases are pretty filler-ific. Also, the RHCP's songwriting has always been more than a little suspect.

Influential bands I'd like to see make the cut but probably never will:
Little Feat
Fairport Convention
any Krautrock band, for example Can
Roxy Music
Brian Eno
Joy Division
Gram Parsons
Replacements
Marc Bolan / T Rex
I agree, even with most of the list. T Rex especially wrote great songs, and had lots of hits. But they never got a lot of airplay in Cleveland.

Was Laura Nyro the best songwriter they could find?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.