Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sting: 25 Years

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sting: 25 Years

What started out as excitement for tomorrow's release of this is quickly dwindling for me. The 3 CD/1 DVD set is quite overpriced at $110 on Amazon.. for no real new or obscure material and a book (woo). Then there's the single disc version... with *different* live stuff on it! So if you're a completist, like I annoyingly am, you'd have to buy both to get everything! I thought the single disc version of collections was usually only a paired down version of the more 'deluxe' issue?! *sigh* Okay, rant over. Anyone looking into getting this at all..?
Old 09-26-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Sting: 25 Years

Yeah, that pricing is beyond silly. It should be around $50.
Old 09-26-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Especially when you can get this 8 disk Smiths set (*cough* way better music *cough*) for $51

Old 09-26-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sting must be in the market for another castle.
Old 09-26-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Shouldn't it be Sting : 26 Years? Or did his solo career only begin in earnest with the release of "Bring On The Night"?

Either way, it's a "pass" for me. That's absurd pricing.
Old 10-03-11, 01:15 PM

Didn't need a new thread for this, so I'll put it here.
Sting - BACK TO BASS - New Tour Announced!

Live Nation is pleased to announce that this fall, Sting will embark on the Back to Bass Tour throughout North America as he celebrates the 25th anniversary of his solo career by taking it back to bass… all the hits, stripped down, as they haven't been played in years. In support of his forthcoming box set collection Sting: 25 Years, slated for release on September 27, the tour features Sting backed by a 5-piece band in an intimate theatre setting.

Beginning in Boston on October 21 at The Wang Theatre at the Citi Performing Arts Center, the tour will extend across the US and Canada. Cities announced today include Philadelphia, Washington DC, Toronto, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Vancouver. Additional dates will be announced in the coming weeks.

Back to Bass finds Sting performing songs spanning his dynamic and enduring solo career, from his 1985 debut The Dream Of The Blue Turtles to his latest release, Live in Berlin, plus a selection of The Police's greatest hits. Highlights include the Grammy winners "Brand New Day" and "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You" plus fan-favorites "Englishman In New York," "Desert Rose" and "Roxanne." Sting will be joined by a band including his longtime guitarist Dominic Miller, Rufus Miller (guitarist), Vinnie Colaiuta (drummer), Peter Tickell (electric fiddle), and Jo Lawry (vocalist).

To commemorate the 25th anniversary of Sting's solo career, the definitive box set Sting: 25 Years, will be released on September 27, 2011 and features three CDs and a previously unreleased live DVD, Rough, Raw & Unreleased: Live at Irving Plaza. The discs are housed in a hardcover book featuring rare photos, complete lyrics and newly written commentary by Sting.

In addition, Sting: The Best Of 25 Years, comprised of 12 remastered tracks including several remixes and newly unearthed live recordings, will be released on October 18, 2011.
Tour Dates listed on this site:
http://sting.com/tour/index/

Just got some great seats (Rear Orchestra -- the closest I've ever been at any of the numerous Sting concerts I've been to) this morning as they went on sale at the Colosseum at Caesar's Palace (where Celine Dion usually plays). Looking forward to the show.
Old 10-03-11, 02:38 PM
Banned

Lucky for Sting he had his solo career back when there was MTV , VH-1 and radio play. Today that same music wouldn't be heard. So Sting would be in the same boat like Kenny G doing disk jocky work on a jazz FM radio station.
Old 10-03-11, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Lucky for Sting he had his solo career back when there was MTV , VH-1 and radio play. Today that same music wouldn't be heard. So Sting would be in the same boat like Kenny G doing disk jocky work on a jazz FM radio station.
Not really sure what this is supposed to mean. Sting was the lead singer of one of the most successful bands of the first half of the Eighties. Of course his music was going to get airplay in the back half of the decade -- he was a superstar.

BTW Kenny G's music was popular at the same time (late 80s, early 90s) and was played heavily on VH1 and on Adult Contemporary radio, so what exactly is your point?
Old 10-03-11, 11:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
Not really sure what this is supposed to mean. Sting was the lead singer of one of the most successful bands of the first half of the Eighties. Of course his music was going to get airplay in the back half of the decade -- he was a superstar.

BTW Kenny G's music was popular at the same time (late 80s, early 90s) and was played heavily on VH1 and on Adult Contemporary radio, so what exactly is your point?
Kenny G hit the music scene with his magic flote and lasted for bout 2 years and the novelty was over. Sting's solo career because he was in the Police was his novelty. Fans kept buying his music thinking they would find something that was Police music. I heard every Sting solo song and the only song that was any Police memories was LOVE IS THE 7TH WAVE. Only because as the song ends he says "every breath you take.."
Old 10-04-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenny G hit the music scene with his magic flote and lasted for bout 2 years and the novelty was over. Sting's solo career because he was in the Police was his novelty. Fans kept buying his music thinking they would find something that was Police music. I heard every Sting solo song and the only song that was any Police memories was LOVE IS THE 7TH WAVE. Only because as the song ends he says "every breath you take.."
I like a lot of "Dream of the Blue Turtles" (maybe it's nostalgia) and some of "Soul Cages" (because it's beautifully recorded). Other than that, I agree. I saw him live about seven years ago (forced by wife), it was the biggest snore-fest I've ever attended.
Old 10-04-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well his fan base evolved from teenage boys to middle age women somewhere along the line so I think a lot of his current fans are not too tuned into his former more alternative career.
Old 10-04-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I've seen the Police and Sting every tour since 1981. Has Sting lost his way in the last few years, yes. His last (real) solo album "Sacred Love" SUCKED. (I think his last decent album was "Mercury Falling")However his orchestra tour last year was REALLY decent (My wife thought it was the best solo show he's done) and he can still rock when he wants to. Shame this release is nothing more than a cash grab since you are paying close to $30 a disc and besides the DVD, there is nothing that isn't out there already.

I will be trying to get tickets for this tour...(The Orchestra show, I got 12th row for less than face, so I am hopeful)
Old 10-04-11, 05:11 PM

Yeah. I didn't like Sacred Love at all either, but thought Brand New Day was pretty darn good (but having to defend a twelve year old album as proof of lack of decline is pretty sad). I agree that his last orchestral tour was great (and poorly attended -- the MGM arena was half emply, not counting the upper sections that were closed off for the event). I really enjoyed that show, as well as the awesome videos you posted from it Chrisedge.
I think a small, intimate venue for a stripped tour is the logical approach and hope that I enjoy it as much as the last one. If nothing else, the guy still has pipes and a deep catalog. I see that all the Wiltern Theater shows in LA are already sold out, so that's a good sign for him. If you end up going to the Vegas show on Black Friday, let me know Chris.
Old 10-04-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Did you get the whole DVD I ending up sharing?
Old 10-04-11, 06:15 PM

Gosh, no. Do you still have any?
Old 10-05-11, 12:18 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

While Sting's solo work doesn't sound like Regatta de Blanc it very much does sound like Synchronicity, or the next logical step following Sychronicity. After hearing King of Pain and Tea in the Sahara it's not hard to hear Dream of the Blue Turtles and Soul Cages as being part of a progression. Also, I blieve Sting weaves in an old Police lyric into one song on each of his solo albums.
Old 10-05-11, 06:32 PM
Banned

I mean the solo work of Sting after 1983 should have been like say Peter Gabriel. It had some rock to it and could still be liked by older listeners. So it seems like wasted years the 80's and 90's for Sting.
What Paul McCartney did is what I would have wanted Sting to do. Paul still rocks here and there with some songs at his age.
Old 10-07-11, 10:17 PM

I mean the solo work of Sting after 1983 should have been like say Peter Gabriel. It had some rock to it and could still be liked by older listeners. So it seems like wasted years the 80's and 90's for Sting.
What Paul McCartney did is what I would have wanted Sting to do. Paul still rocks here and there with some songs at his age.
Peter Gabriel? Play So and Nothing Like The Sun back to back and tell me what you think. Us and The Soul Cages. These guys were on the same page of the same playbook. The difference is that Sting kept releasing album and PG didn't.
Old 10-08-11, 05:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by westerbergrules
Peter Gabriel? Play So and Nothing Like The Sun back to back and tell me what you think. Us and The Soul Cages. These guys were on the same page of the same playbook. The difference is that Sting kept releasing album and PG didn't.
P.G. had Sledghammer and Big Time as rocking tunes on SO.
Old 10-08-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would have been nice to include a Music Video collection with that price.
Old 10-08-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Would have been nice to include a Music Video collection with that price.
Now there's a terrific idea!
Old 11-26-11, 10:26 AM

Well, thought I'd update :
Saw the Back To Bass show last night at the Coliseum at Caesar's. I love that venue. Acoustics were amazing. I was in the back of the orchestra, but still pretty close -- venue seats about 4000. It's humidified like crazy (protect Celene's voice) and sound just reverberates; it's so much nicer than an arena. Sting looks GREAT. Seriously, dude is in phenomenal shape for any man, let alone one who turned sixty. Small band - his long time guitarist Dominic Miller, Miller's son Rufus on acoustic guitar, an awesome young fiddler from Newcastle, a drummer, and Jo Lawry back from the last tour playing fiddle and providing vocals (but not nearly as prominently featured as on the last tour). There's a big contrast between his huge Symphonicity sound and this time, which sounds very stripped and personal -- not "Unplugged", but close on some songs. He played an interesting mix. Three Police songs during the set, then another 3-4 during the Encores. He eschewed the solo hits for the most part -- no "We'll Be Together", No "If I Even Lose My Faith", amazingly, no "Fragile" which has really been his signature number live over the years. He did play "Fields of Gold", "Desert Rose" and "Fortress Around My Heart" though. He played several songs I've never heard him do before like "Inside", "Hounds of Winter", "Heavy Cloud No Rain", "Ghost Story" and probably a lot more which I've forgotten now. He brought back a few of the songs from Symphonicitiy like "I Hung My Head" and "The End Of The Game". I wasn't surprised or disappointed with the lack of hits, since its not unusual to dig deep into your catalog when you're trying to support a new box set, but the complete absence of anything from ...Nothing Like The Sun (my favorite Sting album) was a bit unexpected. Speaking of that absurdly overpriced box set, it was available at the Merch stand for $115, as well as an autographed version for $150. That one tempted me.
Overall, it was a great show and I really enjoyed it. Checking the tour schedule, he has a few dates left in the US in LA, SF, Seattle and Vancouver before going off on the World Tour leg. It's cool seeing somebody live who I've previously seen in stadiums and arenas in such an intimate setting now.