Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 - Achtung Baby Reissue - Oct. 31

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2 - Achtung Baby Reissue - Oct. 31

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 06:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: U2 - Achtung Baby Reissue - Oct. 31

Originally Posted by cungar
Here's the press release.

http://achtungbaby.u2.com/

It just says the original album. If it was a remaster, you would think they would use the word at least once.
You're right, it doesn't say anything about a remaster. That would be some serious bullshit if they did all this and didn't remaster the albums.
Old 08-05-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

I just want a 2CD Remastered ACHTUNG BABY & 2CD Remastered ZOOROPA, wtf!... and no 2/3 CD Remasterd RATTLE & HUM ? wtf!!, again!
Old 08-05-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Two-disc CD version up for preorder on Amazon for $35.49.

On Amazon UK the preorder price converts to about $173 U.S.
That's out of the question.

Why can't they do a set like they did for Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire? Maybe have three CDs, one for Achtung Baby, one for Zooropa, and one for extras.

And if they are not remastered, I'm not sure I care anyway.

[snark]Of course, Paul McGuinness, needs to make up the dollars lost from all of the illegal downloads of U2's music.[/snark]
Old 08-05-11, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously they want people to buy this? All the extras are remixed songs and b sides that are all out there already. the 3 cds + worth of demos they recoreded after rattle and hum and before achtung baby are out there. and then the live show is the already out there Sydney show?. They have a ton of pro shot shows from the zoo tv tours ( alot already out there ) and they could not put one of those out? Sounds really weak on there part.
Old 08-05-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Especially when you can buy the entire Beatles catalog, remastered for $150. This is 2 CDs (one great, one OK) and a bunch of superfluous DVDs, CDs and carboard and plastic junk. For upwards of $600?

I'm thinking this may be the most agregious reissue money grab yet.
Old 08-05-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

The super deluxe will include 6 CD's and 4 DVD's for around $100 with the book.

Includes a documentary by Davis Guggenheim called "From The Sky Down"...

I may be going to the premiere in Toronto... More to tell later.

Edited to add:

Track Listing:

• Track Listing Not Final

CD1 - Achtung Baby

01. Zoo Station
02. Even Better Than The Real Thing
03. One
04. Until The End Of The World
05. Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
06. So Cruel
07. The Fly
08. Mysterious Ways
09. Tryin’ To Throw Your Arms Around The World
10. Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
11. Acrobat
12. Love Is Blindness

CD2 - Zooropa

01. Zooropa
02. Babyface
03. Numb (The Edge)
04. Lemon
05. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
06. Daddy’s Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
07. Some Days Are Better Than Others
08. The First Time
09. Dirty Day (Bono and The Edge)
10. The Wanderer

CD3 - Uber Remixes

01. Night and Day (Steel string remix)
02. Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)
03. Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Extended Club Mix)
04. Lemon (Perfecto Mix)
05. Can’t help falling in love (Triple peaks Remix)
06. Lady with the spinning head (extended Dance remix)
07. Real Thing (V16 Exit Wound Remix)
08. Mysterious Ways (Ultimatum Mix)
09. The Lounge fly mix
10. Mysterious Ways (The Perfecto Remix)
11. One (Apollo 440) – Mix Master [S-109]

CD4 - Unter Remixes

01. Mysterious Ways (Tabla Motown Remix)
02. Mysterious Ways (Appollo 440 Magic Hour Remix)
03. Can’t help Falling in Love (Mystery Train Dub)
04. One (Apollo 440) – Ambient Master [S-109]
05. Lemon (Momo’s Reprise)
06. Salome (Zooromancer Remix)
07. Real Thing (Trance Mix)
08. Numb (Gimme Some More Dignity Mix)
09. Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Magic hour Remix)
10. Numb (The Soul Assassins Mix)
11. Real Thing (Apollo 440 Stealth Sonic Remix)

CD5 - B-sides and Bonus Tracks

01. Lady with the spinning head (UV1)
02. Blow Your House – Analogue Mix Bono Edit 190711
03. Salome
04. Even Better Than the Real Thing (Single)
05. Satelite of love
06. Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix)
07. Heaven And Hell – In Truth Mix 211711
08. Oh Berlin – Analogue Mix 1 190711 (needs an edit)
09. Near the Island (instr) Night train from Rostock.
10. Down All The Days (Vsn 1) [CD#4/07] (needs edits)
11. Paint it black
12. Fortunate Son
13. Alex Descends into Hell for a bottle of Milk/Korova
14. Where did it all go wrong
15. Everybody loves a winner edit between take 2+3
16. Real Thing (Fish out of water mix)

CD6 - “Baby” Actung Baby

01. “Baby” Zoo Station
02. “Baby” Even Better Than The Real Thing
03. “Baby” One
04. “Baby” Until The End Of The World
05. “Baby” Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
06. “Baby” So Cruel
07. “Baby” The Fly
08. “Baby” Mysterious Ways
09. “Baby” Tryin’ To Throw Your Arms Around The World
10. “Baby” Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
11. “Baby” Acrobat
12. “Baby” Love Is Blindness

Achtung Baby 12" Vinyl

SIDE A

01. Zoo Station
02. Even Better Than The Real Thing
03. One

SIDE B

01. Until The End of The World
02. Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horse*
03. So cruel

SIDE C

01. The Fly
02. Mysterious Way
03. Tryin’ To Throw Your Arms Around The World

SIDE D

01. Ultra Violet
02. Acrobat
03. Love Is Blindness

5 x 7” Vinyl Singles

01. Fly
02. Mysterious Ways
03. Real Thing
04. One
05. Wild Horses

DVD

01. From The Sky Down – a documentary
02. Videos
03. Bonus Material
04. ZooTV Live From Sydney – the concert

Last edited by Chrisedge; 08-05-11 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I haven't actually listened to this CD in a VERY long time but (correct me if I'm wrong) I do remember the volume being abnormally high on this album (brickwalled, loudness wars, etc.)
Wrong. Achtung Baby has never been remastered up to this point. The CD as mastered in 1991 sounds very good. And it should considering it came out in the peak era of excellent sounding CD mastering.

I'll pick up the two disc remaster though. If anything it will be louder and have some dynamic range compression which actually helps in the car, IMO.
Old 08-05-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by danstheday
Seriously they want people to buy this? All the extras are remixed songs and b sides that are all out there already. the 3 cds + worth of demos they recoreded after rattle and hum and before achtung baby are out there. and then the live show is the already out there Sydney show?. They have a ton of pro shot shows from the zoo tv tours ( alot already out there ) and they could not put one of those out? Sounds really weak on there part.
Now that I am looking at some of the content that will be included, I am retracting my initial excitement. No live CD or alternate live performances on the DVD? Why in the world are they including the Zooropa Tour DVD in this set at all? The Joshua Tree deluxe set did everything right: remastered CD, bonus tracks from the same era, and an unreleased live DVD. What more do you really need to acknowledge one specific time period for a musical artist? I certainly love Acthung Baby, but I don't think I'm going to be shelling out the cash for the Super Deluxe set.
Old 08-05-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Wrong. Achtung Baby has never been remastered up to this point. The CD as mastered in 1991 sounds very good. And it should considering it came out in the peak era of excellent sounding CD mastering.

I'll pick up the two disc remaster though. If anything it will be louder and have some dynamic range compression which actually helps in the car, IMO.
Well, I know AB has never been remastered. I am talking about the original. I remember a bunch of releases around '91 started to sound very loud and this was one of them. I used to make a lot of mix tapes and I remember this CD along with the Use Your Illusions albums would hit the peak level much more than other CDs so every time I'd include a song off of one of these discs I'd always have to turn the recording level down first.
Old 08-05-11, 07:45 PM

Well, I know AB has never been remastered. I am talking about the original. I remember a bunch of releases around '91 started to sound very loud and this was one of them. I used to make a lot of mix tapes and I remember this CD along with the Use Your Illusions albums would hit the peak level much more than other CDs so every time I'd include a song off of one of these discs I'd always have to turn the recording level down first.
CD mastering in the early 90's finally got it right. Way too many CDs mastered earlier left too much headroom, peaking well below the limit. These CDs required too much amp juice to really get cranking. Early 90's mastering was louder therefore requiring less ampage but were still dynamic. "Brickwalling" and overcompression really started to be a problem in the late 90's and the "24-bit remastering" craze.
Old 08-05-11, 10:54 PM

CD mastering in the early 90's finally got it right. Way too many CDs mastered earlier left too much headroom, peaking well below the limit. These CDs required too much amp juice to really get cranking. Early 90's mastering was louder therefore requiring less ampage but were still dynamic. "Brickwalling" and overcompression really started to be a problem in the late 90's and the "24-bit remastering" craze.
From Wiki-

In the early 1990s, CDs with music louder than this level began to surface, and CD levels became more and more likely to bump up to the digital limit[note 1] resulting in recordings where the peaks on an average rock or beat-heavy pop CD hovered near 0 dB[note 2] but only occasionally reached it. The Guns N' Roses album Appetite for Destruction from 1987 is an early example of this, with levels averaging −15 dB for all the tracks.[6]
[edit] 1990s

In the early 1990s, some mastering engineers decided to take this a step further and treat the music's levels exactly as they would the levels of an analog tape and equate digital full scale with the analog saturation point, with the recording just loud enough so that each (or almost every) beat would peak at or close to 0 dBFS. Though there were some early cases (such as Metallica's Black Album in 1991), albums mastered in this fashion generally did not appear until 1992. Dirt by Alice In Chains and Faith No More's Angel Dust are some examples from this year. The loudness of releases during this period varied greatly depending on the philosophies of the engineer and others involved in the mastering process. This style of "hot" mastering became commonplace in 1994, though exceptions, such as the album Superunknown by Soundgarden from the same year, still existed. The most common loudness for a rock release in terms of average power was around −12 dBFS. Overall, most rock and pop music released in the 1990s followed this method to a certain extent
Old 08-06-11, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 1991 master sounds great. The bonus material is the only reason to pay for this upgrade.
Old 08-06-11, 02:03 PM

From Wiki-

In the early 1990s, CDs with music louder than this level began to surface, and CD levels became more and more likely to bump up to the digital limit[note 1] resulting in recordings where the peaks on an average rock or beat-heavy pop CD hovered near 0 dB[note 2] but only occasionally reached it. The Guns N' Roses album Appetite for Destruction from 1987 is an early example of this, with levels averaging −15 dB for all the tracks.[6]
[edit] 1990s

In the early 1990s, some mastering engineers decided to take this a step further and treat the music's levels exactly as they would the levels of an analog tape and equate digital full scale with the analog saturation point, with the recording just loud enough so that each (or almost every) beat would peak at or close to 0 dBFS. Though there were some early cases (such as Metallica's Black Album in 1991), albums mastered in this fashion generally did not appear until 1992. Dirt by Alice In Chains and Faith No More's Angel Dust are some examples from this year. The loudness of releases during this period varied greatly depending on the philosophies of the engineer and others involved in the mastering process. This style of "hot" mastering became commonplace in 1994, though exceptions, such as the album Superunknown by Soundgarden from the same year, still existed. The most common loudness for a rock release in terms of average power was around −12 dBFS. Overall, most rock and pop music released in the 1990s followed this method to a certain extent
Yeah but they are still talking about peaking at the most 0 dBFS. And nowhere do they mention digital dynamic range compression which as I said really started to become a problem in the late 90's. Not only that, but clipping peaks as well. Listen to Californication sometime. That CD is a problem, not Achtung Baby.

Last edited by Strevlac; 08-06-11 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-06-11, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
The 1991 master sounds great. The bonus material is the only reason to pay for this upgrade.
I always thought Achtung was a tough listen on your average car stereo. It sounds great on a decent home setup but for the car I think compression and loudness can help (as long as they don't overdo it) so I'll buy it for that in addition to the B-sides and cool packaging.
Old 08-06-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get the appeal of having an album mastered so it only sounds good on an "average car stereo" but like shit everywhere else.
Old 08-06-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always thought Achtung was a tough listen on your average car stereo. It sounds great on a decent home setup but for the car I think compression and loudness can help (as long as they don't overdo it) so I'll buy it for that in addition to the B-sides and cool packaging.
I suggest you buy a quieter car instead.
Old 08-06-11, 07:43 PM

Yeah but they are still talking about peaking at the most 0 dBFS. And nowhere do they mention digital dynamic range compression which as I said really started to become a problem in the late 90's. Not only that, but clipping peaks as well. Listen to Californication sometime. That CD is a problem, not Achtung Baby.
I have heard Californication and Death Magnetic and know the difference between those and Achtung Baby. I never said the mastering of Achtung Baby was a problem, I simply said it sounded louder than most releases of that time. Damn, everything seems to turn into an argument on this forum lately.

Last edited by JZ1276; 08-06-11 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-06-11, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
I suggest you buy a quieter car instead.
Know where I can get one for $34.99?

I guess my point is the original CD sounds great so I don't care if the remaster maximized and compressed. At least it will sound OK in the car. If the original CD sounded bad I would feel differently.
Old 08-06-11, 11:31 PM

Know where I can get one for $34.99?

I guess my point is the original CD sounds great so I don't care if the remaster maximized and compressed. At least it will sound OK in the car. If the original CD sounded bad I would feel differently.
Why would a CD that is compressed with no dynamic range sound better anywhere???
Old 08-07-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
The super deluxe will include 6 CD's and 4 DVD's for around $100 with the book.
http://www.amazon.com/Achtung-Baby-S...=3DLN395NOCJEQ
Old 08-07-11, 12:20 AM

These prices make me want to . . . Do what we can't speak of here.
Old 08-07-11, 11:22 AM

Why would a CD that is compressed with no dynamic range sound better anywhere???
Have you ever tried to really crank up a dynamic recording with an amp that couldn't handle it while cruising down the freeway, maybe say with the windows cracked and the sunroof open, so you can hear the quieter parts? You get really painful spikes in peak passages.

TO ME, a lot of these maximized and compressed CD's are preferable for the car. I'm not saying I want all music to be mastered this way and not given a choice, I'm just saying it is what it is. And what it is, in this case, is that we already have a damn-near audiophile release of this record, so compress and maximize to your hearts content, hey at least in my situation it'll be one for the car. Big deal.
Old 08-07-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
What a great year 1991 was, with Achtung Baby, Metallica's Black album, Nirvana's Nevermind, Alice in Chains Dirt, Van Valen's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, and Pearl Jam's Ten. But Achtung Baby was what kicked it off for me, hearing their first single The Fly. Not sure if this massive set is worth it, but it would have been great to have the album remastered in high def.
As well as

Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Old 08-08-11, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
As well as

Blood Sugar Sex Magik
And Use Your Illusion I & II
Old 08-08-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

So no deluxe re-issue for Rattle & Hum?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.