DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (9/13) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/591628-dream-theater-dramatic-turn-events-9-13-a.html)

Michael Corvin 09-15-11 09:08 PM

Re: Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (9/13)

I want to give it a few listens before really commenting bit I'm really digging the bigger part Rudess had on this one.

Oh, and the video for OTBOA is pretty cool.

Dan 09-15-11 11:16 PM

I've listened to about half of it and I think it's pretty great.

Rypro 525 09-15-11 11:19 PM

Saw that this is set to sell about 30-35 thousand copies this week, which i think is pretty damn good (Black Clouds sold about 40 thousand in its first week)

I've really liked it thus far

aynrandgirl 09-16-11 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 10925591)
Saw that this is set to sell about 30-35 thousand copies this week, which i think is pretty damn good (Black Clouds sold about 40 thousand in its first week)

I wonder what the band's ballpark profits are on sales like that.

bunkaroo 09-16-11 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl (Post 10925722)
I wonder what the band's ballpark profits are on sales like that.

I'm guessing it's just enough to take the band and their families to the ballpark for a day. :D

Michael Corvin 09-19-11 09:24 AM

Alright, time for some thoughts on the album. I think it's a really, really, really good album. It's going to take a few more listens for me to decide if it's a great one or not. It's definitely their most melodic and proggy since SFAM and feels like a nice throwback, it just seems to missing a few sure fire "I hope they play this live" tunes*.

Jordan's increased influence minus the ragtime nonsense is a very positive improvement and James sounds better than he has since SFAM. Mangini is more than capable, but nothing really stands out for me to say he adds something to the mix. In fact I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between drummers if I wasn't aware of it(I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult :lol:). I haven't had a chance to dive into the album lyrically, I'm just really digging the sound and melodies so far.

Individual track breakdown:
Spoiler:

1) A Dramatic Turn of Events - original comments posted earlier stand, however it's grown on me even more. I think it's the catchiest tune on the album.

2) Build Me Up, Break Me Down - is a good cross between pre-SFAM and post-SFAM sounds. It has a nice early DT melodic/symphonic vibe underlying the whole thing with a heavy refrain. The two work great together. Sounds like a tune from Octavarium.

3) Lost but not Forgotten - This song sounds more epic than the 10 minute track length lets on. It goes places, starting with the great piano intro and ending with the Petrucci solo. I really dig Jordan's symphonic sound on this one. Sounds like a tune from 6DoIT.

4) This is the Life - James sounds great on this one, as does Jordan. An excellent mellow tune that sounds like it was ripped right from the SFAM recording sessions.

5) Bridges in the Sky - this song pisses me off. I love, LOVE the intro because it is unique and gives you the vibe that this tune is going to blow your fucking mind BUT the song it leads into feels very by-the-numbers Dream Theater, but for some reason it just works. I like both parts individually but they don't go together at all, and it's disappointing the track doesn't blow your mind like the intro leads you to believe.

6) Outcry - This song sounds very Portnoy-ish, just balls to the wall excessive. It's not bad, but it just feels like a technical exercise and sounds like a medley of existing DT riffs/tunes. I do like how it mellows out towards the end with the piano giving it a Liquid Tension Experiment vibe.

7) Far From Heaven - another great mellow tune between James and Jordan. I haven't listened to this one as much as the others.

8) Breaking All Illusions - the first track where Myung really stood out for me. Love the soundbites in the background too. I love when they can mix those in effectively. It's a nice touch that I have missed in the post SFAM era(The Great Debate being the lone exception that stands out). Another one where Jordan stands out effectively.

9) Beneath the Surface - Probably me second favorite tune. I can't seem to pinpoint why I like it so much though.

Overall the album feels very safe. By going in and essentially writing tunes that would have worked on various albums of their career (intentional?) they took the safe route instead of going all out and crafting something truly unique. It makes for a very comfortable listening experience. Unfortunately that is a double edged sword, as there are MANY parts of all these tunes that sound like we've heard before, almost like they are plagiarizing their own catalog. With the tumultuous drummer debacle I can understand taking the safe route as to not alienate fans, but my own expectations of something more unique than it turned out to be falls on me.

I'd love for them to break the album/tour/live cd/DVD cycle and go out with a short tour and hit the studio again next year with Mangini.

*which goes back to my complaint about epic tunes. Shorten the tunes and add 2-3 more tracks, odds are greater of adding a couple instant hits to the catalog.

StatMan79 09-21-11 03:30 AM

I've been trying hard to digest this one to get a real feel for what I think of it. I don't dislike it by any means, but it's certainly a departure from what they've been doing the last few albums where it was a mix of epic songs and heavy metal riffs.

You're absolutely spot on that it's far more prog than anything of late but on a track-by-track basis, the songs that stick with me are the lead track as well as "Bridge In The Sky." Everything else I need to give more time to to see what they they're doing with it. I like it, but I don't completely love it yet.