DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (9/13) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/591628-dream-theater-dramatic-turn-events-9-13-a.html)

Rypro 525 06-29-11 10:01 PM

Re: Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (9/13)

one of my friends complained that the opening clean guitar part sounds like the opening of Call of Ktutu by Metallica
<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWGOEWdV13M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWGOEWdV13M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Also i love that you can clearly hear Myung on bass for once

Michael Corvin 07-11-11 12:10 PM

Alright, this is pretty fucking cool. First(?) cover of the new song:

All recorded independently then mixed together. Vocalist isn't half bad (on this track anyway*), and the overall mix is damn good, IMO.

Also, the top reply is from Jordan, which has to be cool for these guys.

*checked out Metropolis and he just can't match LaBrie on that one.

bunkaroo 07-11-11 03:19 PM

It just seems strange to me that people with that much musical ability would spend that much time and effort performing someone else's material. It's a nice homage, but it almost seems like it's more about solving the latest Dream Theater video game then actually being a musician with their own voice.

Michael Corvin 07-12-11 06:52 AM

:shrug: Some people can't write original stuff, but as noted in the vid and on YouTube they use the video to promote their own band.

bunkaroo 07-12-11 01:49 PM

I didn't see that much. That's kind of a double-edged sword doing that - the prog metal community is pretty fickle and doesn't suffer the ever-present DT clones very well.

cdollaz 07-29-11 09:16 PM

A review of the album can be found here:

http://www.rich-wilson.com/

Gunde 08-03-11 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10849747)
It just seems strange to me that people with that much musical ability would spend that much time and effort performing someone else's material. It's a nice homage, but it almost seems like it's more about solving the latest Dream Theater video game then actually being a musician with their own voice.

:lol: You're obviously not a musician yourself.
Strange comment. What's wrong with just having fun playing?
They actually all do their own stuff too, but it's a lot easier getting attention with a cover of someone famous.

I think it sounds better than the original. The drums in particular.

bunkaroo 08-03-11 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 10876961)
:lol: You're obviously not a musician yourself.
Strange comment. What's wrong with just having fun playing?
They actually all do their own stuff too, but it's a lot easier getting attention with a cover of someone famous.

I think it sounds better than the original. The drums in particular.

:lol: - I've been playing for 23 years and have recorded bass, backing vocals and some keys on several original albums myself. I've opened for national artists. Not that it's a big deal, but my comments come precisely from the perspective of a musician who makes original music a priority over covers.

Covers are IMO a cheap and gimmicky way to get attention if you're an original band. Cover bands have overrun the local scene here so no one wants to take a chance hearing a new original band - they just want to sing along to "Don't Stop Believin'" for the 1000th time. Then when one of these bands actually tries an original, everyone heads for the bars or the toilets.

My point was covering DT in a manner that detailed takes some time and effort. I know, because I've covered their stuff before myself. It was fun for a little bit, but I would never dedicate hours and days or even months of my musical time to doing it right, nor would I want it to represent who I am as a musician. I'd rather spend that time on my own musical pursuits. Not too mention it's bad enough most prog bands in the past 2 decades can usually be labeled as "sounding like Dream Theater" to some degree, but to invite the comparison and pigeon-hole yourself as a band by using it as a way to draw attention is just something I think is misguided and will ultimately backfire. I'd rather have people hear my music without any preconceptions.

cdollaz 08-03-11 02:42 PM

Considering the large amount of material that DT has released of themselves covering other bands that they like, I think it's pretty appropriate that other bands are covering DT. Some people just really like playing songs that they like, whether it is their own or not.

If they make original music that sounds like a copy of DT, then yeah, criticize them all you want. But DT covered a wide range of artists, and no one accuses them of not being original.

bunkaroo 08-03-11 02:47 PM

Difference being DT already had stature as a major label original band who basically helped pioneer the sound of what we know as "prog metal" before they started churning out all the Ytsejam Records stuff. Plus to keep the comparison appropriate, these other bands should be covering a large range of artists, not just DT.

And IMO DT overdo the cover thing themselves but I think that was largely Portnoy's doing. Don't even get me started on how much their influences started permeating their recent records. Someone listened to A LOT of Muse before Octavarium. :)

cdollaz 08-03-11 03:00 PM

How do you know that this band is only covering DT, and not a wide range of artists?

Besides, plenty of bands played plenty of covers early in their careers, before they were on major labels. Or any labels. REM, Van Halen, Metallica, etc. It didn't hurt any of their careers.

bunkaroo 08-03-11 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 10877563)
How do you know that this band is only covering DT, and not a wide range of artists?

Besides, plenty of bands played plenty of covers early in their careers, before they were on major labels. Or any labels. REM, Van Halen, Metallica, etc. It didn't hurt any of their careers.

Well, how did we come to know of them? Because they've covered a lot of DT to the letter it seems.

The bands you noted came up in a different time. There was no internet. People didn't associate them with the bands they covered because they still had enough of their own sound. They weren't going to get pigeon-holed as a Led Zeppelin or Diamond Head clone band by what they were doing. Plus I don't think Eddie Van Halen was sitting there learning everything he covered to sound exactly like the record. They made it their own, a la "You Really Got Me" or "Am I Evil?". Big difference between that and what these DT cover guys are doing.

My ultimate point here was these guys obviously have a lot of musical talent. I think getting known for covering DT songs to the letter is a waste of that talent. Talent and chops are a good start, but there's much more to being a good musician IMO.

And I stand by my comment before about how this seems to be about solving the latest DT puzzle. Otherwise, why would they work that fast to get a recording up of a song that isn't even in general release? To be the first on the internet to do it? OK - but who cares?

cdollaz 08-03-11 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10877592)
I think getting known for covering DT songs to the letter is a waste of that talent. Talent and chops are a good start, but there's much more to being a good musician IMO.

If they write their own music, and it's good, that is what they will be known for, not covering DT songs.

bunkaroo 08-03-11 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 10877631)
If they write their own music, and it's good, that is what they will be known for, not covering DT songs.

I hope that becomes the case for them.

aynrandgirl 08-13-11 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10849519)
*checked out Metropolis and he just can't match LaBrie on that one.

That's a LaBrie who's 20 years younger and without vocal cord damage. LaBrie can't match LaBrie either. I'm also fairly sure that the vocalist in the Metropolis video isn't the vocalist in this video. Different drummers, too.

Snowmaker 08-17-11 09:06 PM

OK, so do we know if there is anything else on the DVD other than the Spirit Carries On drummer documentary? If that's all it has then I can live with just the regular CD release.

Snowmaker 08-29-11 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker (Post 10892747)
OK, so do we know if there is anything else on the DVD other than the Spirit Carries On drummer documentary? If that's all it has then I can live with just the regular CD release.

Nobody knows?

Gunde 08-30-11 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10877592)
And I stand by my comment before about how this seems to be about solving the latest DT puzzle. Otherwise, why would they work that fast to get a recording up of a song that isn't even in general release? To be the first on the internet to do it? OK - but who cares?

Because it's fun?
The guitarist invites musicians to perform these covers with him. It's just a fun thing to do.
So what if it's about "solving the DT puzzle" ? Why do you care so much?

sniper007 08-30-11 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker (Post 10905564)
Nobody knows?

This Is what I could find, DVD of 'The Spirit Carries On' (60-minute movie documenting drummer auditions)

Snowmaker 09-01-11 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by sniper007 (Post 10905965)
This Is what I could find, DVD of 'The Spirit Carries On' (60-minute movie documenting drummer auditions)

Thanks. If that's all it is, I can live with just the 1-disk CD.

bunkaroo 09-01-11 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 10905805)
Because it's fun?
The guitarist invites musicians to perform these covers with him. It's just a fun thing to do.
So what if it's about "solving the DT puzzle" ? Why do you care so much?

Jesus Christ this keeps popping up like a bad penny doesn't it? Go read through all the posts I made - your answers are there. I'm not going to repeat myself.

Michael Corvin 09-01-11 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker (Post 10908901)
Thanks. If that's all it is, I can live with just the 1-disk CD.

:shrug:... only $1.81 difference between the two on Amazon. I'll probably watch it again for that price.

bunkaroo 09-05-11 01:35 PM

So I'll admit it I listened to the leak. I'll spoiler since it isn't in general release yet.

Spoiler:
First listen is rarely enough for me to form a long-term opinion, but so far, I am very underwhelmed. I really wanted this to be the return to form.

The mix itself seems better than the last few. It doesn't seem overly loud. Bass is way more audible than in the past. Drums seem a little low but that could be because they've been IN YOUR FACE every previous release.

The songs however seem largely forgettable. I can remember very few vocal parts after one listen. And there were some particularly lame lyrics and vocal phrasings in the final song. The instrumental sections, while impressive technically, seem to have very little melody to them. Just comes off as more "widdly widdly" stuff. I think back to instrumental passages in the early days and there was melody to the technical stuff - it was going somewhere. Here it just seems like they said, "time for another solo section!".

One thing that's bothered me about the last few DT records and is magnified here is Rudess' choice of sounds. Ugh. They sound like they came from the Roland list of demo patches. He had some nice stuff when he first joined but he's never had sounds as good as Moore or even Sherinian. On this record I just wish they weren't there. And they are using the big choir sounds way too much now. I'm not a real fan of his choice of phrasing either.

And Labrie, well he's not getting any better in DT. It's funny because I really liked what he did on his last solo record. In DT he just sounds weak now.

Petrucci and Myung still sound on top of their game. Mangini's playing seemed adequate but it definitely seems like he did not have much creative license. Not a lot of memorable drum parts which I know he can do.

Probably the high point of the record was "Breaking All Illusions". Maybe it's because it has more Myung involvement than we've heard for years. When I heard it I didn't even know what tune it was but I immediately guessed it was his song and I was right. The verse parts definitely remind me of "Learning to Live" - they have the same mood and dynamics I think.

I hope this will grow on me with subsequent listens. The last thing I want for DT is to have their first Portnoy-less release seem like their weakest in a while. I hate to see Portnoy get any ammunition that they "needed" him.

bunkaroo 09-15-11 07:05 PM

Pretty surprised there are no new comments since it's been officially out for two days already.

My subsequent listens have been more favorable but I still think this is their weakest effort in a while, maybe ever. I'll take BC&SL with its terrible backing vocals over this any day.

dvduser6 09-15-11 07:24 PM

I was curious to hear this and listened to it on Spotify yesterday. As others have said, I just didn't hear anything memorable on their latest efforts. I sold off quite a bit of their stuff after "6 Degrees". Again, I've always appreciated their musicianship, but I am much more interested in following their various solo projects. If Petrucci and Rudess made another Liquid Tension album with Tony Levin, I'd buy that sight unseen. LaBrie's last two solo projects have him delivering much more solid material compared to what DT has done lately.