Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queensr˙che - "Dedicated to Chaos" (disappointment begins Summer 2011)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Queensr˙che - "Dedicated to Chaos" (disappointment begins Summer 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Queensr˙che - "Dedicated to Chaos" (disappointment begins Summer 2011)

Meh, that isn't much better than the shit from Tate's version.
Old 04-01-13, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

It's definitely a step other right direction but yea not going to knock your socks off.
Old 04-01-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
It's definitely a step other right direction but yea not going to knock your socks off.
I see why you are saying this but with everything in perspective, I had pretty much written them off. I wouldn't have expected something as groundbreaking as Rage or Mindcrime right off the bat. However, give them some time to integrate Todd and I bet the next album will be a bit more ambitious. I like the fact his vocals are in the high range but I think his style is different than Geoff's. After listening to the Warning again recently, I can say Geoff was truly impressive in his day, but Todd can hit a lot of the notes those songs require. Therefore, it is more important for me to hear those songs as they were intended and not Geoff struggling to sing what he cannot today. I think this song is really good and I'll be excited to see the new stuff and the old live.
Old 04-01-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The song is good and I didn't mean my comment to say it was bad. It's just not an immediate return to form. I like that they have an edge back, but I also don't want them to be a nostalgia act. The great thing about QR was the pushing of boundaries and reinvention of themselves each record. That seemed to end around Q2K. I am fully behind the real QR with Todd and I look forward to hearing the record.
Old 04-01-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The song is good and I didn't mean my comment to say it was bad. It's just not an immediate return to form. I like that they have an edge back, but I also don't want them to be a nostalgia act. The great thing about QR was the pushing of boundaries and reinvention of themselves each record. That seemed to end around Q2K. I am fully behind the real QR with Todd and I look forward to hearing the record.
I hear you. I thought Hear in the Now Frontier was the first step in the wrong direction. There were a few good songs but it wasn't what I would have expected after something as ambitious as Promised Land. Honestly I wasn't a big Empire fan, but I love certain songs on the disc. To this day I cringe at Best I Can. However, Anybody Listening, Another Rainy Night and Thin Line are great in my eyes. I hope the next cd is more conceptual, but I'll be happy if they continue in the heavier direction.
Old 04-02-13, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

BTW, Tate is underway with his Queensryche album as well.

Interesting that they both are still using the name. So we may get two QR albums this year.
Old 04-02-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
BTW, Tate is underway with his Queensryche album as well.

Interesting that they both are still using the name. So we may get two QR albums this year.
His album is a complete trainwreck. The clips sound awful, both literally and in content. I won't even speak of his re-recordings of classic QR material. The funny thing is the label has publicly acknowledged the sound is bad, but plans to still sell it on 4/23 and then sell a "remixed" version later on. Funny part is the guy they tapped to remix it, Billy Sherwood, has already pulled out. Probably caught wind of the circus Tate is.
Old 04-02-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

His album is a complete trainwreck. The clips sound awful, both literally and in content. I won't even speak of his re-recordings of classic QR material. The funny thing is the label has publicly acknowledged the sound is bad, but plans to still sell it on 4/23 and then sell a "remixed" version later on. Funny part is the guy they tapped to remix it, Billy Sherwood, has already pulled out. Probably caught wind of the circus Tate is.
This is uplifting info to me. I want him to struggle and pay the kharma for his assinine behavior to his former bandmates. I hope he eventually fades into solo status obscurity.
Old 04-02-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here's a good read about the dueling albums and feud.
Old 04-02-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

That was an awesome article. Never cared for Queensryche, though.
Old 04-02-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boc4ever
This is uplifting info to me. I want him to struggle and pay the kharma for his assinine behavior to his former bandmates. I hope he eventually fades into solo status obscurity.
Not that we didn't know it would be of poor quality anyway, but I'm sure his rush to get something out first contributed to it. That's just going to make the real QR look even better when they release something better.
Old 04-02-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not that we didn't know it would be of poor quality anyway, but I'm sure his rush to get something out first contributed to it. That's just going to make the real QR look even better when they release something better.
So true, and honestly, how many more times can he milk Mindcrime? It is coming up on the 30th anniversary of the Warning, so to hear that material for me is pretty sweet. I never saw them on the Rage tour, so all I heard for years was the Mindcrime album on tour with a few songs sprinkled in from the earlier material.
Old 04-04-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

And the lead single for Tateryche:

Gotta give the edge to the Toddryche single posted above. Cold sounds like the same general warmed over mediocrity that Geoff has given the fans for nearly 20 years now.

Neither are heavy or prog enough for my tastes.
Old 05-22-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clips from the non-Tate version's album are up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXL6XP0/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk
Old 05-23-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The clips sound much better than Tateryche, but I stand by my previous comment that this is not an immediate return to form.

I don't mind that there are only 9 full songs, but none of them are very long either. That says to me these are all very straight forward songs. Was hoping for some more experimentation. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-23-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The clips sound much better than Tateryche, but I stand by my previous comment that this is not an immediate return to form.

I don't mind that there are only 9 full songs, but none of them are very long either. That says to me these are all very straight forward songs. Was hoping for some more experimentation. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
After listening to the clips, I'm still excited about the release. Some of them were a bit too mellow for me, but others were driving. I didn't expect them to do something like Rage for Order 2. They were probably trying to get something out more quickly to not lose to Tate. So it makes sense they are more straightforward. If the lineup continues, I would hope they would do something more innovative on the next effort.
Old 05-23-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. It is a step in the right direction, but the clips, while pretty good, don't blow me away. At their best, QR wrote really catchy and unique metal songs. These seem more mundane, with no elements that really stick out. It least it seems to be a return to metal. Maybe hearing the full songs will help me appreciate them more. One thing I can't stand is the chorus on Redemption. It sounds like late-period Journey.
Old 06-17-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New Toddryche album streaming here:

http://queensrycheofficial.com/surpriseevent
Old 06-17-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After listening to the first few songs all the way through, my opinion stands on this. A nice start, but nothing really special compared to their past. Certainly better than Tateryche.
Old 06-17-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On song number 4 and I'm loving it so far. Thanks for the heads up on this! Great way to spend a day off
Old 07-01-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Really liking this. They haven't sounded this much like themselves since maybe Promised Land. Caught That Metal Show with Scott and Todd, nice to get the other side after that travesty of an interview with Geoff the previous season. I know Eddie Trunk is pals with a lot of these guys that come on the show, but that Geoff interview was nothing but softballs (and Eddie was at Rocklahoma when he pulled his "you suck" tirade and he didn't even ask about it).

Anyway, I've listened through the entire set about 3 times and, aside from the flat production, it makes me hopeful for future Queensryche releases.
Old 07-01-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Listened to it in full yesterday. Pretty decent. Going to give it another listen today. Definitely liked the last song the best.
Old 07-03-13, 11:56 AM

The self-titled Queensryche album debuted at number 23 on the Billboard charts with sales of 13,500 copies. Tate's album debuted at number 82 with only 5,500 copies sold. Looks like the fans have spoken.
Old 07-03-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm honestly shocked FU sold as many as it did.

The new true QR record sold 5,500 more in its first week than Dedicated to Chaos, while FU sold 2,500 less than DtC, so yes I do believe the fans have spoken.

It is worth mentioning American Soldier sold 21,000 in its first week back in 2009, so the real QR still have some ground to regain.
Old 12-04-14, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So a settlement was reached earlier this year. Lots of info on wiki, but to sum up, Tate lost the name. He can use "lead singer of QR" or "formerly of QR" for a period of two years. He can no longer use any QR imagery (Triryche logo, album covers, etc). Tate gets sole 'ownership' to perform Operation: Mindcrime and O:M2 in their entirety.

So what does Tate do? He renames his band Operation: Mindcrime. He is currently working on an epic 3 album concept story.

The real QR is currently working on an album as well. Due late spring/early summer 2015.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.