Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"120 Minutes" returns to MTV with host Matt Pinfield

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yay.

"120 Minutes," two of the most beloved hours in alternative-rock history, is returning to the airwaves. MTV2 will air a brand-new monthly version of the trailblazing music program with a weekly online counterpart dubbed "120 Seconds" on MTV Hive. Both will be hosted by Matt Pinfield, the walking musical encyclopedia and industry veteran whose original "120 Minutes" run made his name synonymous with the best of college rock, indie rock and everything else under the umbrella of "alternative."

"I'm so excited that '120' is coming back," Pinfield told MTV News. "It's been so influential in so many people's lives. Musicians, music fans, actors — so many people have told me the show was pivotal and life-changing for them."

"120 Seconds" will debut this Friday on MTV Hive, a new standalone online destination for indie music fans. "120 Minutes" is set to make its official return on MTV2 later this year.

Over the years, Pinfield said that Jack White, Vampire Weekend, Michael C. Hall ("Dexter") and Jonathan Togo ("CSI: Miami") have all come to him and expressed their admiration for "120 Minutes," which ran on MTV from 1986-2000 and on MTV2 from 2001-2003.

"Thomas [Mars] from Phoenix was saying he watched me all of the time on MTV France," Pinfield said. "I didn't realize at the time how many countries the show was being broadcast in!"

"120 Minutes" was created by journalist Dave Kendall, who served as the show's original host when it began airing 25 years ago in March 1986. The two-hour program was home to music videos from a wide ranging selection of underground artists who had few other mainstream outlets and whose passionate fans hungered for every bit of content they could find. From shoe-gaze to indie rock to imported Britpop to the beginnings of grunge, it all had a place on "120 Minutes." Morrissey and KMFDM videos sat alongside XTC and the Replacements.

Future megastars like Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis and Radiohead earned early airings. The video for Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" had its world premiere on "120 Minutes."

"I got a text recently from Patrick [Carney] from the Black Keys, and he said, 'I just want you to know how much "120 Minutes" and you turning me on to so many great bands changed my life,' " said Pinfield. "It was an amazing, heartfelt text. And that kind of stuff just blows me away. It makes me feel so good about it.

"I know how much the show meant to me, and it means so much to know how much it meant to other people, too. I was a fan of the show before I ever hosted it," Pinfield added. "And so many people said they missed the show."

A number of MTV VJs had a chance to host the program at various points, from the late and great J.J. Jackson to Alan Hunter, Kevin Seal, Dave Holmes and Chris Booker. But Kendall, Pinfield (who hosted from 1995-1999) and Jim Shearer (who wrapped the show's last run from 2002-2003) are arguably the most identified with the program.

"There were a lot of great hosts on the show. Nothing but respect for all of them," Pinfield pointed out. While he's currently a DJ for New York's WRXP, and has hosted other shows for MTV and VH1, served as as vice president of A&R for Columbia Records and more, he said, " '120' has always been near and dear to my heart. I know people always identify me with that show. I'm proud of that. I'm blessed and honored.

"I'm always looking for new music; it's never stopped for me," he continued. "To talk about music, to turn people onto music — I've always joked that if I wasn't able to do it on the radio and on television I'd probably be telling it to some guy sitting next to me at the park."

Pinfield said that certain elements of the show's new format are still being discussed but promised that it will combine location shooting, videos, interviews and possibly some live performances.

Pinfield acknowledged there are a lot more places for people to discover music these days than in the mid-'90s. But that's all the more reason to bring back the "120 Minutes" and to launch "120 Seconds" now. With so much information out there, there's a need for intelligent organization, credible recommendations and general curation.

"Even with all the destinations that people have and all the ways they can be entertained, educated and find information, I think it always gets back to the fact that they still want a trustworthy place to go," he said.
Old 03-17-11, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "120 Minutes" returns to MTV with host Matt Pinfield

I discovered a lot of great music when I was younger thanks to 120 Minutes. I had a ton of these on VHS tapes which were unfortunately lost in all of the moves I made over the years. Glad to see it's back, though.
Old 03-17-11, 11:33 AM

Wow, it'll be like I'm 12 again.
Old 03-17-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I loved 120 Min for the same reasons Mike UFC did, but I think with the interwebs and every other method of artists getting to listeners the show is less likely to impress me with new talent than it once could. I'll still DVR the first couple eps to check it out.
Old 03-17-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

120 minutes once a month? Don't commit to playing too much music there Mtv.

Other than that, yeah, pretty cool.
Old 03-17-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Great news!

I used to watch this religiously back in the day. One of my favorite bands, Sonic Youth used to appear as frequent guests and I remember once they had a contest for viewers to make a video of an SY song from the Dirty cd. They showed some of the entries on the air and the winner got to appear on the show and meet the band.
Old 03-17-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, that's pretty cool. Like many others, I discovered a lot of great bands from 120 Minutes back in the day, many of which I still listen to today. I can honestly say that the show changed my musical tastes (for the better, IMO) and perhaps even altered the course of my life, so I'll definitely be checking this out. I think even with the internet and all the different ways its given us to discover new music, we're getting a bit of information overload.
Old 03-17-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I loved 120 Min for the same reasons Mike UFC did, but I think with the interwebs and every other method of artists getting to listeners the show is less likely to impress me with new talent than it once could. I'll still DVR the first couple eps to check it out.
I stayed with the show all the way to the end, even after they cut it to an hour, dumped the hosts, and changed the name to Subterranean, and I was still getting new artists off it -- I'd often spend $20-30 on Amazon during each episode. That's how I discovered the Dresden Dolls, Vivian Girls, and Lily Allen.
Old 03-17-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Better than nothing I suppose. I used to tape this thing every single Sunday between 1990-1997/98 or so. I looked forward to getting home from school Monday afternoons so I could watch the episode from the night before.
Old 03-17-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Better than nothing I suppose. I used to tape this thing every single Sunday between 1990-1997/98 or so. I looked forward to getting home from school Monday afternoons so I could watch the episode from the night before.
Same here. Since I moved to the US in 1995, it was usually the only way I could see Blur or Oasis videos.
Old 03-17-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sunday nights in the mid-to-late '80s were the coolest hours of TV ever, on MTV. The Young Ones, often followed by a Comic Strip Presents, and then 120 Minutes (the original, with Dave Kendall in silhouette). All the great early and mid '80s new wave and alternative bands, mostly British, with some American bands that weren't yet well known, like REM. Good times.
Old 03-17-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Once a month?

I guess that don't want to cut into those "Martin" re-runs they've been playing.

I've also noticed that MTV2 hasn't scheduled the Headbanger's Ball for several weeks now, are they going to reformat it to a monthly as well?
Old 03-17-11, 06:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, 120 minutes was great and a return is nice to see, but a lot of the underground or lesser known musical acts don't have music video budgets like was the norm back in the late 80's/early 90's.

And I have never liked Matt Pinfield, something about how sacrosanct his hosting was during Headbanger's Ball.
Old 03-17-11, 10:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

cool! (once a month though ??? - I can hear great new stuff daily on XM/Sirius' XMU channel's 'Blog Radio')
Old 03-17-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i think you would discover more bands just digging around on youtube for 120 minutes.
Old 03-18-11, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of my favorite shows when I was young. I remember once when John Peel (!!) hosted it, playing his favorite videos with comments, I wish I still had that VHS copy....
Old 03-20-11, 06:10 AM

Great news!! I'll watch Classic 120 Minutes on VH1 Classic from time to time....but they repeat most of the videos, and stick mainly to 80's with the occasional 90's video thrown in.
Old 03-20-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

said Pinfield. "It was an amazing, heartfelt text.

Am I just an out of touch old man or is that a hilarious sentence?

120 Minutes was an important & much needed show & I welcome a block of potentially interesting videos, but I have no love for Pinfield. Sure, he was better than Lewis Largent, but that's not really saying anything, is it. He'd usually just rattle off lists of things like an Uncle Fester RainMan. I'd rather see Kendall back - or Kennedy - or someone new.

I tried to watch Subterrannean a few times, but it was too short at an hour, & they loved to cover up large portions of the screen with their own graphics.
Old 03-20-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Maybe this replaces the Headbangers Ball which has not been on the air for the last 2 weeks though their selection of music stinks mostly.
Old 03-21-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Ugh they had to get that massively annoying fucktard Pinfield back again? Lame.
Old 03-21-11, 08:04 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
AGREED. I can't stand him. And it doesn't help that he's always showing up at concerts I attend to "introduce" them because of the radio station he works for. Thankfully they sent someone else to the Matt & Kim show I was at last night... but I don't think I'll be able to avoid him at The Strokes next week.
Old 03-21-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I used to really dig 120 Minutes, and I'm reminded of that time whenever I hear Chemical Brothers - Setting Sun or Beck - Loser. I'm not sure I would enjoy much of the music played these days, but hopefully a new generation of kids will.
Old 03-22-11, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I never found Matt Pinfield annoying. Was there something in particular about him that bothered you?
Old 03-22-11, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved 120 Minutes and was a big fan from the beginning. I still have all my VHS tapes (even ones going back to the start of MTV) but need to hook up my VCR to play 'em.
Old 03-22-11, 03:53 PM

My fav was when Greg Dulli and Donal Logue hosted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.