Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Phil Collins quits music (for good this time)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Phil Collins quits music (for good this time)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Phil Collins quits music (for good this time)

^ A little slow, but I like it. I think I'd either drop or use the back up vocals a little less.
After reading all the stuff in this thread, Phil looks too, too sad in this video.
Old 03-09-11, 09:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12686726

'British singer and drummer Phil Collins has confirmed reports he is to retire from the music business.

"I am stopping so I can be a full time father to my two young sons on a daily basis," he wrote on his website.

His decision, he said, was not down to "dodgy reviews", "bad treatment in the press" or "because I don't feel loved".

Collins' announcement was in response to a series of "distorted" articles that had erroneously painted him as "a tormented weirdo", he added.

"There's no need for the straitjacket!" joked the 60-year-old, whose hits include In the Air Tonight and Another Day in Paradise.

A former member of rock band Genesis, Collins went on to achieve huge success as a solo performer, including hit albums as No Jacket Required and ...But Seriously.

The winner of seven Grammy awards was also the recipient of an Academy award for his soundtrack for the Disney animated film Tarzan.

Last year he topped the UK album chart with Going Back, a collection of Motown and soul covers.

The singer has two sons, Nicholas and Matthew, with his third wife Orianne Cevey, whom he divorced in 2008'.
Old 03-09-11, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They picked "Going Back" off that album because it's the most sounding "Phil" song out of the bunch. It actually sounds like an extra, or additive of that album; almost like a contractual obligation track so that the label could say they have a "single"

Man, there is a mess of Phil hate in here. I love the guy's music; have for 2+ decades. not so much in the late 90's and on when I feel he took the Disney-Golden-Ticket, but his stuff in the 70's and 80's I'm such a huge fan of.

And I think he's a kick ass drummer. The dude rocks the drums. Haters gonna hate.

I think the new album is cool - It's got a great sound to it.

I imported the deluxe edition that comes with this 2 hour documentary showing him making the album. What it started as and what it turned into really gave me new respect for him - he brought in original artists that recorded on the original songs.

I think the saddest thing to see in the documentary was in the scenes where he was trying to lay down the drums; at one point they actually gaff taped the sticks to his hands. Was really rather upsetting to see.

He keeps commenting that he doesn't like the current state of the music industry. I'd like to see him channel is focus on maybe creating a label that would help foster good talent and play advocate for music he feels is good for the industry.

I've never understood people that insult music in such ways. If I don't like certain music, I don't listen to it, and I certainly don't shit-talk it. No point in doing that. *shrug*
Old 03-10-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't "hate" his post early 80s music. But he was such a fantastic musician previous to his MOR period that a lot of early fans feel like he completely sold out and took the easy pop route. I consider him very comparable to Paul McCartney. Had an immensely creative period and then cruised for 30 years writing silly love songs. I can say I saw the last Genesis show ever at the Hollywood Bowl 4 years ago and it was not close to what Genesis were in the 70s and 80s but Collins was still an engaging and extraordinarily talented drummer and front man at the show.
Old 03-10-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His music will live on and always have many, many fans - including me.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YtUdTD3gCp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-10-11, 02:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
I don't "hate" his post early 80s music. But he was such a fantastic musician previous to his MOR period that a lot of early fans feel like he completely sold out and took the easy pop route. I consider him very comparable to Paul McCartney. Had an immensely creative period and then cruised for 30 years writing silly love songs. I can say I saw the last Genesis show ever at the Hollywood Bowl 4 years ago and it was not close to what Genesis were in the 70s and 80s but Collins was still an engaging and extraordinarily talented drummer and front man at the show.
I once read a quote that said "Phil Collins could have been a John Lennon, but instead he chose to be a Paul McCartney."
Old 03-10-11, 04:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't really stand his 90s work and on, but he (and Genesis) had some great pop songs in the 80s: "Misunderstanding", "Illegal Alien", "That's All"...

And yeah, "Sussudio" is pure cheese, but is it REALLY any worse than Jagger and Bowie's "Dancing in the Streets"? I can name dozens of artists from the 60s/70s that did 'sellout' mainstream pop in the 80s.
Old 03-10-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I once read a quote that said "Phil Collins could have been a John Lennon, but instead he chose to be a Paul McCartney."
More like he could have been Peter Gabriel but he chose to be Phil Collins
Old 03-10-11, 04:52 PM
Banned by request

No, Face Value sounds nothing like Gabriel, but it is reminiscent of Lennon.
Old 03-10-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
No, Face Value sounds nothing like Gabriel, but it is reminiscent of Lennon.
Really? I never even thought of Collins and Lennon as being vaguely similar. I was saying I wished Phil had followed a career path like Gabriel, expanding his musical horizons rather than narrowing them.
Old 03-10-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a shame Phil didn't hook up more often with Genesis' original guitarist Anthony Phillips. The work they did together (along with Mike Rutherford) on the 1977 Ghost and the Geese was nothing short of amazing. If only Phil would have thought, 'Let me see...Sussudio or Which Way The Wind Blows? Okay, time to give Ant a call'.

That said, I still love a lot (85%) of the music the man made. Well, nothing really on Testify or Going Home...but a lot of the other stuff.
Old 03-10-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
And yeah, "Sussudio" is pure cheese, but is it REALLY any worse than Jagger and Bowie's "Dancing in the Streets"?
Unfair. "Dancing in the Streets" was recorded expressly as a quickie one-off charity single for Live Aid. It was never intended to be an entry in the catalogue of either artist.
Old 03-10-11, 06:17 PM
Banned

Sounds like the same thing that happened to the BEE GEES in 1980.
When by then the media hated them because their music was on like 24/7.
So just like the BEE GEES 20 years later he will be loved again by the media.
Old 03-10-11, 06:28 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by cungar
Really? I never even thought of Collins and Lennon as being vaguely similar. I was saying I wished Phil had followed a career path like Gabriel, expanding his musical horizons rather than narrowing them.
I see.

I'm not saying Collins writing sounds melodically like Lennon's, but his method of combining pleasing melodies with personal, challenging lyrics is reminiscent of Lennon. Something he only did a few times, but frequently on Face Value.
Old 03-10-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ That pretty much describes half the musicians that have ever lived.
Old 03-11-11, 10:03 AM
Banned by request

Not The Monkees!
Old 03-18-11, 03:32 PM

He Don't Care Anymore
Old 02-10-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,322 Likes on 4,320 Posts

I'm wondering if it's now time to reconsider the career of Phil Collins. A period of time out of the spotlight can have a way of changing musical perceptions. Time (and a prominent song appearance in (500) Days of Summer) certainly changed our perception of Hall & Oats from campy pop to iconic and eventually R&R HoF inductees, a late-career series of duets brought Tom Jones from a Sixties joke to near-legend status, over time KISS became accepted and somewhat revered. Maybe it's that time now (or soon) for Phil. I know nobody complained about them using "that Phil Collins song" in The Hangover or the pilot of The Americans. Maybe it's time we think of the artist in the same positive light that his hit song "In The Air Tonight" receives.
I was listening to an MP3 version of No Jacket Required this weekend that I picked up for $1.99 in the Grammy Sale on Google Play. I hadn't listened to the album in many years. It's really good start-to-finish, even the hits - excluding Sussedio which I still find insipid and repetitive. It's a well-produced album, his vocals are excellent and the drumming is great. I need to go back and listen to Face Value and But Seriously again if I can find them in my CD storage box. I know I still like most of his work with Genesis.
I think we spent so long complaining about him and his music when he was ubiquitous on the radio, now that he's absent I think he was considerably better than we (and critics) gave him credit for.

BTW : None of this applies to his two Disney film soundtracks that were both pretty terrible.
Old 02-10-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm wondering if it's now time to reconsider the career of Phil Collins.
No.
Old 02-11-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z4sKg18lTqw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-11-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,484 Likes on 943 Posts

I've never liked Phil Collins much. His music has an uncomfortable feeling to me. When I hear him doing something complicated inside of a pop song, I get the impression that he'd rather be doing something other than pop, but is going for the money. It's a completely different vibe than someone like Paul McCartney, who feels like he loves pop music, and puts complicated stuff inside of pop songs because he's having fun.
Old 02-17-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I like his "Hello, IMBG" album a lot and some of the live shows that are in circulation supporting that one. "I Cannot Believe It's True" is a great tune.
Old 10-29-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Surprised there wasn't a bump yesterday. Phil announced his retirement is over. His kids want to see him in action. He is working on a solo recording for now. He didn't discount a Genesis reunion but just wants to focus on solo stuff for now.
Old 10-29-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

His son's band Sound of Contact is pretty decent. Simon sounds a whole lot like his dad.
Old 11-01-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Has anyone heard of the band Sound Of Contact? It is Simon Collins' (Phil's son) band. Someone turned me on to their album "Dimensionaut" recently. It is quite good and worth a listen. Listening to him sing, you definitely know he is Phil's son.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.